Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Headlight Diffusers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 AM
SweetDreamZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Headlight Diffusers...

Hey...While my car is in the shop getting the body kit done...I think i'm going to have them paint the headlight black like i've seen done a few times. While it's apart, I want to get rid of the yellow diffuser(yuck!) and put a clear one in....anyone ever bought from here?

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/350zdiffusers.php

If not...where should I get them. Also...has anyone w/ the older headlights had the guts to go ahead and paint the whole back black? Even tho it will decrease the light output for the brights? If so...how much did it decrease your lights by? Enough to matter?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:11 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your first question, I think ricks2k is the only site that sells the cleared and smoked versions of the headlight strips. I have heard nothing but great things about that product.

For your second question, there have been a few people that have painted their entire housing (older lamps), and yes it does decrease output. Since the lows rely partially on the reflector, and since the highs rely solely on the reflector your output will decrease

I've actually been looking for specs of how much VHT Nightshades decrease light output and how well they would perform on the reflector portion of the 03-05 headlamps...something to think about since it is a "translucent"-type paint.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 PM
zdero

Originally Posted by jtabraham
To answer your first question, I think ricks2k is the only site that sells the cleared and smoked versions of the headlight strips. I have heard nothing but great things about that product.

For your second question, there have been a few people that have painted their entire housing (older lamps), and yes it does decrease output. Since the lows rely partially on the reflector, and since the highs rely solely on the reflector your output will decrease

I've actually been looking for specs of how much VHT Nightshades decrease light output and how well they would perform on the reflector portion of the 03-05 headlamps...something to think about since it is a "translucent"-type paint.
I've used nightshades on my old car's taillights. It definately decreased visibility, but I am not sure how much it would reduce the headlight's visibility. I wouldn't apply too many coats though.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
Hey...While my car is in the shop getting the body kit done...I think i'm going to have them paint the headlight black like i've seen done a few times. While it's apart, I want to get rid of the yellow diffuser(yuck!) and put a clear one in....anyone ever bought from here?

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/350zdiffusers.php

If not...where should I get them. Also...has anyone w/ the older headlights had the guts to go ahead and paint the whole back black? Even tho it will decrease the light output for the brights? If so...how much did it decrease your lights by? Enough to matter?

Thanks!
I bought it from there. Excellent communication and transaction.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
LaoSiFu

Just do it (do it right I mean) Makes your car look awesome. Need instruction, follow these https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=37752

~Robert
Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 AM
SweetDreamZ

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I already ordered the smoked ones, and once the car goes into the shop for the body kit(soon), I will be sending my headlights to Mr. Zipps for the blackout conversion.

Time for some opinions...I can't tell which way to go. Flat black or Super Black? I don't like having the contours of the light highlighted, which is what seems to happen w/ the glossy colors...which is why I'm leaning towards the Flat Black. Although, I seem to remember some SB ones that looked hella good. Maybe Nitrouz's car? I dunno. If anyone has some good, daylight pics that show in detail how the inside of hte lights look w/ the SB, i'd appreciate seeing them!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 AM
LaoSiFu

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I already ordered the smoked ones, and once the car goes into the shop for the body kit(soon), I will be sending my headlights to Mr. Zipps for the blackout conversion.

Time for some opinions...I can't tell which way to go. Flat black or Super Black? I don't like having the contours of the light highlighted, which is what seems to happen w/ the glossy colors...which is why I'm leaning towards the Flat Black. Although, I seem to remember some SB ones that looked hella good. Maybe Nitrouz's car? I dunno. If anyone has some good, daylight pics that show in detail how the inside of hte lights look w/ the SB, i'd appreciate seeing them!
I like glossy black. The flat is just too plain.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Greedy4nismo

glossy. easy answer.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Mazinger Z

I painted my non-06 headlights but I left the lower and high beam reflectors stock. Visibility is the same as before.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Track

I'm sending a new set to MrZipps this week for him to do his magic.

I too was having a hard time deciding on the shade of inside paint, but I think I'm going with something like "dark shadow gray." It looks freakin awesome.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this color?

http://www.mrzipps.com/Nissan/2003%2...adowGray.2.jpg

Last edited by Track; 02-26-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
drifter23

I bought the clear diffuser from http://www.ricks2k.com/products/350zdiffusers.php
Great product and very well made.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:11 PM
krazy

I have them in my Z. You probably saw them when we all met at Scotty's a few months ago. I love them, but it was one hech of a job to take the headlights apart.

Steve
Old 06-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Fastass350z

trust me flat is better looks authentic glossy just looks weird too shiney
Old 06-24-2007, 07:45 PM
SweetDreamZ

yeah, i've already done it...quite a while ago...and i went with the flat black and did the whole inside...i think it looks great!! here are some pics...

Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

looks gr8..! i think it will look better on 06-07 headlights too.. isn't there any DIY?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Greedy4nismo

take some pics with your new eyelids