Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who bought the CF Pillar from Gruppe-S recently...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nismo ones look nice except I wouldnt want mine to say Nismo on them lol...
Old 03-11-2007, 05:47 PM
ldawg32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah just tack weld it
Old 03-11-2007, 06:24 PM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

umm, just use a heat gun.

I got them from gruppe-s too and i stuck them on at 3 am when it was cold as **** (bad idea but i couldnt wait).

Everything was perfect except for the bottom area... so used a heat gun to heat it up and held it down. I had to do it several times throughout the night but by the next day, it was fine.

Heat = your friend. just don't go overboard with it.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Nismo ones look nice except I wouldnt want mine to say Nismo on them lol...
rofl, +1
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vispre
umm, just use a heat gun.

I got them from gruppe-s too and i stuck them on at 3 am when it was cold as **** (bad idea but i couldnt wait).

Everything was perfect except for the bottom area... so used a heat gun to heat it up and held it down. I had to do it several times throughout the night but by the next day, it was fine.

Heat = your friend. just don't go overboard with it.
Have you checked them recently? How about after a few days - still stuck on w/o gaps ?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:09 PM
vispre

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Have you checked them recently? How about after a few days - still stuck on w/o gaps ?

Ok so i went out and just checked em jstu then. The drivers side is fine but the pass side was up a tiny bit (and i mean a really tiny bit).
Keep in mind i have been pressing the drivers side down everytime i enter my car so the continued pressure might have helped promote adhesion.

Im just hoping the passenger side just needs a little push over the next few days and it should be fine. Granted these arent 100% perfect but I think i have got them pretty close and Im hoping to have them perfect in a few days.

If it matters any, i've tried not to expose the area to any moisture (except when its night time, i dont have a garage so can't help that) and also before apply, i washed each pillar with kitchen detergent and water to strip any wax or whatever product i might have put on there.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:24 PM
MUZZY

eh i got thm 2.
what u expect >< but hair dryer works
Old 03-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey guys,

Yeah I actually have these exact same pieces on my car for about a year now. I did install them when it was warm here in Cali though, the moisture in the air and the cold may affect how they stick. If you're having problems I recommend a heat gun. My buddy who ran them said for the first week he would just keep pushing on them when he got a chance. He has had his for over 6 months, no problems - mine for over 1 year.

I don't necessarily agree with getting what you pay for - the carbon fiber weave is basically from the same manufacturer that everyone uses, and the adhesive is 3M adhesive. That said if you have always waxxed that part of your Z for whatever reason, you may have some adhesive issues - I think a heat gun or even a blow dryer can be your friend in this instance.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here's my CF pillars

That's over 1 year on the car. Admittedly never seen snow (we're in Cali), but my Z sleeps outside, so that's a full 365+ days of weathering.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
keosh

i got mines today and will install it tomarow so ill post pics and tell u whats up
Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Mine are the same why. The bottom of my driver side keeps coming up. I've been pushing on them for 3 days now I'll try the heat gun method and see. BTW I agree with Alberto. I would have gotten the Nismo if they didn't say Nismo on them.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Mazinger Z

I tried using the hairdryer today. Still the same thing...I keep pressing down on them but no luck. It just doesn't stick very well. Boo...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
I tried using the hairdryer today. Still the same thing...I keep pressing down on them but no luck. It just doesn't stick very well. Boo...

^ That's not very encouraging news
Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
vispre

Alright so to my luck all that pushing worked! Mine are flush. checked it just then. I hope they stay that way but they've been like that since yesterday

if the hair dryer doesn't work try a heat gun as its more concentrateed... but if the pillar wasn't clean to begin with, theres nothing you can do about it really. but once again, don't go too overboard with teh gun, im really not sure what happens if you put too much heat to it.

to be honest if they didn't stick after repeated pushing and you stripped the pillar of product then I wouldn't know what to do. Just letting you guys know that i got mine to stick finally today.
Not sure how they'll fair thru the car wash but im not gonna wash my car for anohter week just to be sure.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Do some of you guys have wax or clearcoat protector on that pillar? That might be the problem. I know it's best to apply a good amount of heat to install them, but it shouldn't be coming off after a few days unless you guys have perhaps wax on the pillar...

Gary
Gruppe-S
Old 03-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Mazinger Z

^No wax. I just cleaned off the pillar w/ some glass cleaner and waited until it dried. I stuck on top side first and slowly stuck it on. I didn't "re-stick" in any way. Yesterday, after looking at it, I used a hairdryer to redo the sides. It looked okay but I went back to check, it came up again! Dunno what to do...are there exchange policies on this?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

I washed and dried the surface of my pillars before I installed them. No wax or anything. The problem I am having and noticing is that the fitment is good but the piece is having trouble on the bottom molding to the curve of the pillar because the sheets are flat. The glue or sticky is not strong enough to keep the pillars from arching up in the middle. I even made sure when I was installing them to do it slowly one side of the piece at a time and working it through. I tried the heat gun method today and it doesn't work. You can see the flex. The piece itself is nice but I think I'm going to have to end up taking them off because of this issue. Do you guys have any recourse on this? I took all the precautions to install this correctly and it's not user error.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
topsecret2001
Sponsor
Bulletproof Automotive

the weave on the nismo looks different then the gruppe-s...1x1 vs 2x2...my monitor sucks so i can't tell for sure
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by topsecret2001
the weave on the nismo looks different then the gruppe-s...1x1 vs 2x2...my monitor sucks so i can't tell for sure

I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised. The issue here is not the weave but the sticky on the back. I don't think the weave would affect that unless it makes the piece more malleable to mold to the curves of the pillars.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Yeah if you guys really feel like it won't work for you, drop me an e-mail and I"ll work it out with you guys.

I honestly tested this product for 1 year before even offering it for sale because I wanted to make sure it's a good product. In my opinion it is - I know it's difficult to get it to stick on the B pillar because of the OEM construction, but I as well as a few of the local guys here have gotten it to work no problem.

That said, customer satisfaction is very important to us, anyone who is unhappy with the product can feel free to contact us and I will work with everyone to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Gary
gary@gruppe-s.com

Quick Reply: For those who bought the CF Pillar from Gruppe-S recently...