Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with Carbon Fiber Hoods... and NO hood pins

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
synth19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with Carbon Fiber Hoods... and NO hood pins

I know many of you guys with CF hoods are buying hood pins/latches for safety... however, I rarely see ppl with these at local events. Those WITHOUT pins/latches, what are you experiencing at high speeds? How secure are the seibon hoods, without pins? I like a few of the CF hoods, but I honestly am not a fan of the pins simply due to asthetics.... Are there any alternatives to securing these hoods without pins/latches? Thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 PM
murph18

i use them because i had my hood on my last car go through the windshield. but that was also fiberglass. with this car i have a seibon hood. good weave to it - small adjustments need.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are creative enough, you can fugure out a way to make up your own safety strap that would all be hidden under the hood.

When you pop your hood from in the car, you would need to unhook the safety strap, then lift up your hood like normal.

I could explain more how you could rig one up but people would probably just say it's lame and say just get hood pins, so I won't go into details but at least you wouldn't need to ruin the looks of the hood with pins and your hood would never fly up more than about 2".

It's what I would do. I'm running an uncommon tire size combo for a Z that a lot of people would say why didn't you run this or that size. Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box. I like coming up with my own stuff and doing things different than other people, like my coolant catch tank. I promise nobody has one like mine, because it's intended use was different than how I set it up.

Last edited by Chad68; 04-08-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 AM
charged

I have the Seibon Vt with out pins. I have gone 140 plus with no issues. I consistantly drive 65 plus.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:08 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
I know many of you guys with CF hoods are buying hood pins/latches for safety... however, I rarely see ppl with these at local events. Those WITHOUT pins/latches, what are you experiencing at high speeds? How secure are the seibon hoods, without pins? I like a few of the CF hoods, but I honestly am not a fan of the pins simply due to asthetics.... Are there any alternatives to securing these hoods without pins/latches? Thanks
I used to be a no hoodpin guy.. but I started noticing over a year or two that my CF hood started to flutter when driving 80+MPH .. then it started getting increasingly harder to close.. then cracks started to appear on the latch.. So now I'm a hood pin guy because the car would surely look worse with hood folded back on it at 80+MPH..

I think the best thing you can probably do cosmetic wise it to buy those hood pics that recess into the hoods and have a cover.. Paint it body color... but I didn't feel like drilling that big a hole in my hood so I stuck with the generic Sparcos..
Old 04-08-2007, 07:46 AM
davidf

Hood pins not only protect the hood but protect the windshield and roof of the car when the latch decides to give up. Some posted here a while back on the CF hood letting go and it destroyed the roof of their car.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 AM
synth19

What about the fiberglass hoods, like the veilside for example? Hood pins needed on those hoods?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 AM
synth19

This is absolutely not lame, very innovative imo! Many of us want the security, but look for a clean (non-pin) alternative. If you have done something, please post details. thanks

Originally Posted by Chad68
If you are creative enough, you can fugure out a way to make up your own safety strap that would all be hidden under the hood.

When you pop your hood from in the car, you would need to unhook the safety strap, then lift up your hood like normal.

I could explain more how you could rig one up but people would probably just say it's lame and say just get hood pins, so I won't go into details but at least you wouldn't need to ruin the looks of the hood with pins and your hood would never fly up more than about 2".

It's what I would do. I'm running an uncommon tire size combo for a Z that a lot of people would say why didn't you run this or that size. Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box. I like coming up with my own stuff and doing things different than other people, like my coolant catch tank. I promise nobody has one like mine, because it's intended use was different than how I set it up.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:06 AM
wckdclw

^yeah i want to know about the saftey latch also....i really dont like the hood pins
Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 AM
THE TECH

You can use the Aerocatch/Top Secret ones that are nicer. I have a set for sale painted SS if anyone is interested.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
You can use the Aerocatch/Top Secret ones that are nicer. I have a set for sale painted SS if anyone is interested.
+1 they look very nice plus are very flush with the hood.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by leemik
I used to be a no hoodpin guy.. but I started noticing over a year or two that my CF hood started to flutter when driving 80+MPH .. then it started getting increasingly harder to close.. then cracks started to appear on the latch.. So now I'm a hood pin guy because the car would surely look worse with hood folded back on it at 80+MPH..

I think the best thing you can probably do cosmetic wise it to buy those hood pics that recess into the hoods and have a cover.. Paint it body color... but I didn't feel like drilling that big a hole in my hood so I stuck with the generic Sparcos..
+1 on everything mike said
Old 04-08-2007, 02:11 PM
davidf

A lot of the CF hoods I've seen and owned use fiberglass to hold the latch loop in place, it's just a matter of the quality of the job done. Remember air does make it's way in the engine bay and there is usually constant pressure on the hood at highway speeds. It comes down to just a matter of luck IMO. I to hated hood pins but now that I have them, they're really not bad looking.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 PM
davidf

BTW I need some more Sparco hood pins, any vendors here stock them? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had cf hoods for over 3 yrs with no pins.. So far so good......
Old 04-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Lo$t

Originally Posted by davidf
Hood pins not only protect the hood but protect the windshield and roof of the car when the latch decides to give up. Some posted here a while back on the CF hood letting go and it destroyed the roof of their car.
good excuse to get a targa top?
Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by davidf
BTW I need some more Sparco hood pins, any vendors here stock them? Thanks.
I have a silver set available if you need them.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:34 PM
josephchihweilu

i run hoodpins but i prefer the no-pin look. its the thought of the hood unlatching while im driving on the freeway that scares the **** out of me.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:40 PM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done 100+ mph on my Veilside V3 w/o pins with no issues yet. I do get some vibration and it can be unnerving. I've had extra fiberglass applied around the latch but I may end up getting the Aerocatch pins to be safer.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
dozzer1b

does anyone have a write up on how 2 install the pins??? and best place to purchase them???

Quick Reply: Those with Carbon Fiber Hoods... and NO hood pins