Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tein Hood Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Yup...Courtesy has em' on sale right now! Tein is too cheaply made.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/index.html
Too cheaply made??? Not sure where you came up with that.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:30 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by roncfpz
Personally, I installed the TEIN dampers on my fiberglass hood and they were way too stiff. The hood would flex some around the mounting points and IMO could cause cracking over time. I believe NRG has come out with some that are made for lighter weight hoods. I went with TopSecret dampers but they're a bit pricey.
Any non-metal hood will flex some, but IMO not enough (especially at the mounting points) to hurt it. I would see it flexing more near the center of the hood, but still not enough to hurt it.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Yup...Courtesy has em' on sale right now! Tein is too cheaply made.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/index.html
I have the CTD Dampers from Courtesy. I looked at the Tein dampers too, but didn't like them near as much as the CTDs. Plus the CTDs come with a hood bracket that allows the dampers to clear the covers without any modification. Here are some pictures of my CTD Dampers. Also the CTD dampers fit my color scheme perfectly.

SIDE VIEW

TOP BRACKET

LOWER MOUNTING POINT

FRONT VIEW

HOOD UP

Last edited by ZPirate; 04-18-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 AM
THE TECH

You can mount the Teins the same way without any special brackets.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by THE TECH
You can mount the Teins the same way without any special brackets.
I have not seen them mounted any way that doesn't require trimming. I would like to see a picture of how they can be mounted so that you don't have to trim something.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:42 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by ZPirate
I have not seen them mounted any way that doesn't require trimming. I would like to see a picture of how they can be mounted so that you don't have to trim something.
Same way as yours are done where you have to cut that half circle out of the plastic piece on each side.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 AM
ZPirate

Same way as yours are done where you have to cut that half circle out of the plastic piece on each side.
I am not talking about the lower mounting point. I mean trimming the covers so that the hood will close.

I guess you mean moving the lower mounting point from the place that the Teins were originally designed to be mounted to the mounting point that the CTDs mount to. Again I haven't seen this done. The Teins were not originally designed to mount to the same location as the lower mount for the CTDs. I would question if you move the lower mounting point of the Teins whether the damper would fully open.

Last edited by ZPirate; 04-18-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
THE TECH

I am not talking about the lower mounting point. I mean trimming the covers so that the hood will close.

I guess you mean moving the lower mounting point from the place that the Teins were originally designed to be mounted to the mounting point that the CTDs mount to. Again I haven't seen this done. The Teins were not originally designed to mount to the same location as the lower mount for the CTDs. I would question if you move the lower mounting point whether the damper would fully open.
The damper opens all the way when relocated and works just fine. I have done this on several cars with zero issues.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM
ZPirate

The damper opens all the way when relocated and works just fine. I have done this on several cars with zero issues.
It may very well work, but the Tein wasn't designed to use that lower mounting point. The outer mounting point is actually a much stronger place to mount the lower part of the strut anyway. Tein just didn't do its homework when it designed the unit in the first place in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:10 PM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any non-metal hood will flex some, but IMO not enough (especially at the mounting points) to hurt it. I would see it flexing more near the center of the hood, but still not enough to hurt it.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tried to install Tein hood damper yesterday, but as i tried to close the hood to check the clearance, part of the shock body was rubbing against the brake line that is next to the master cylinder. I tried to adjust the damper a few times but to no avail. I agree that when Tein designed their hood damper they didn't do their homework.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:30 AM
rich harris

humm...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:32 PM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by Changvi
I also tried to install Tein hood damper yesterday, but as i tried to close the hood to check the clearance, part of the shock body was rubbing against the brake line that is next to the master cylinder. I tried to adjust the damper a few times but to no avail. I agree that when Tein designed their hood damper they didn't do their homework.
That is why I went with the CTDs. You might try mouting them to the same place mine are mounting at the bottom like The Tech suggested above. I haven't seen any pictures of them mounted that way, but he swears it works very well for the Teins.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:22 PM
THE TECH

I haven't had one negative issue with installing the Teins there on any of the cars that I've done so far.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:55 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

I haven't had one negative issue with installing the Teins there on any of the cars that I've done so far.
Not doubting you, cause I know your a knowledgable guy on the forums, but do you mind posting pics. I haven't seen tein's mounted and I'd like to know the best way how to. I've always heard that trimming of the plastic hood pieces were needed. I'm looking for hood dampers and am debating between the Courtesy, Tein and the NRG one, but again don't wanna have to modify any of the plastic pieces just to make it work. Thanks man.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by MethodRN
Not doubting you, cause I know your a knowledgable guy on the forums, but do you mind posting pics. I haven't seen tein's mounted and I'd like to know the best way how to. I've always heard that trimming of the plastic hood pieces were needed. I'm looking for hood dampers and am debating between the Courtesy, Tein and the NRG one, but again don't wanna have to modify any of the plastic pieces just to make it work. Thanks man.
I agree.

Another question I have is does the Tein have a lower mounting bracket or just a bolt that goes into the mounting location?

Last edited by ZPirate; 04-22-2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 AM
THE TECH

My pics would look 99% identical to the ones already posted. You mount them the same as what's in the pics above.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 AM
THE TECH

I agree.

Another question I have is does the Tein have a lower mounting bracket or just a bolt that goes into the mounting location?
The Teins use a ball screw for the lower mount.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

So the Tein Hood dampers have those same brackets? Thanks Tech
Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
ZPirate

So the Tein Hood dampers have those same brackets? Thanks Tech
No he is saying that they have a ball screw for the lower mount. That is why pictures would be beneficial.

If you look closely the CTD dampers that I have actually have a seperate lower mounting bracket that gets attached to the car first. Then the lower portion of the damper is attached to the bracket. It sounds like the Tein has a screw with a ball on it that mounts to the car. I assume the damper then connects to the ball.

Quick Reply: Tein Hood Dampers