Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoked tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 06:24 PM
sean6tt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PhantomZ
i have tinted the tail lights, bumoer lenses and corner lenses on my car by myself, all you need is
1. VHS nightshades tail light tint spray (basically a spraypaint that makes your taillights as dark as a tint as you want, and as soon as you touch the brake lights, the light shows right through)2. clear-coat.

just make sure your lights are on a flat surface, ans spray from about 18" away from the light. dont overlap the lines. wait a few minutes until dry, then do another coat. if you are doing it right, you will barely see the tint after your first coat. By the third light coat, you get a very nice dark look... hopes this helps, the spray is like 15 a bottle in orlando, it,s a smaller can than regular spray paint.
Where can i get this stuff, it sounds awesome, i wanna do it, ill try it on my side markers too. Can it come off if i dont like it.!???
Old 06-23-2003, 06:40 PM
sean6tt

... And can the rear clear turn signals be removed so they can be spray tinted also...

Id like to do something like this...(thanks skyman)
Attached Thumbnails smoked tail lights-nice.jpg  
Old 06-23-2003, 11:22 PM
dwende170

i like those lights too
Old 06-23-2003, 11:24 PM
dwende170

sean6tt where did you get that pix from?
Old 06-24-2003, 12:39 AM
old_s13

The smoked signals dont look too bad, I like them. As for the tail lights, those are not smoked.. they are "blacked out." I dont like that "blacked out look," and technically it is illegal to black out a light. As you can see from the above picture, you absolutely cannot see the reflex reflectors which are embedded in the tail light assembly. Plus, the "blacked out" coating greatly reduces the light output from the stock tail lights.

If this is for show, I can understand. As for a street car, I wouldnt want to sacrifice my car's safety (and others on the road) with a tail light that emits LESS light, just to look different. Plus, I wouldnt want to deal with the hassle from the officials.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:26 AM
sean6tt

thats my car...skyman did the photshop for me....

i dont think they are too dark....

CAN THIS STUFF BE REMOVED IF I DONT LIKE IT!??????

CAN THE REAR TURN SIGNALS BE REMOVED
Old 06-24-2003, 02:44 PM
sean6tt

removing the tail lights took me about 2 min to take off...but my question is how do i detach the light electrical wires...
just pull?
Attached Thumbnails smoked tail lights-r-009.jpg  
Old 06-24-2003, 02:45 PM
sean6tt

removing the tail lights is simple, BUT HOW DO I REMOVE THE CLEAR TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS.??????

SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!!
Attached Thumbnails smoked tail lights-r-012.jpg  
Old 06-24-2003, 02:51 PM
old_s13

I beleive in order to remove the lower rear signals you have to remove the bumper, its quite a bit of work..
Old 06-24-2003, 04:11 PM
sean6tt

Originally posted by PhantomZ
It is called VHT Nite Shades, the picture on the can is a very 1980's looking guy with some sunglasses on. The rest of the can has some chrome looking paper on it. It is "transparent black taillight lens paint" direct quote off of the can and it is a 7 oz can. with a black top
yes you spray it on the outside of the lights, some people dont clearcoat, but i did because it'll make them last longer and look better. just make sure you are good at painting stuff first because they will bubble up if you make it too thick or hold the can too close, but when you are done they are completely gorgeous...just dont get all crazy and make them too dark, or else The Man will be all over you.
does anyone know where i can get this....How easy it is to use...and will it come off if i dont like it.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:25 PM
mgl

Default vht nite shades

you can get the paint off ebay, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2420571966

and as for removal of the paint, i think its permanent. also, this paint does dry dull and you will need to clear coat it to add a shine.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:49 PM
old_s13

Most of those spray can coatings are poor quality. Think about it, do you paint your car with a spray can? If the answer is yes, then go ahead and buy this product.

Typically, these coatings look good for a short amount of time.. as after a bit of weathering, they start to fade and dull. In addition, the nozzles are poor quality and the cans dont contain much paint. Once the can is used about half way, the nozzles can often times clog or spray un-evenly. Plus, should you successfully coat your tail light, you will need a quality clear coat to protect the base coat. Like all paints, if you want it to adhere the light must be roughened up a bit with some wet-sanding.

If you take into account the time and money involved to *cleanly* execute this project, a smarter alternative would be to have a reputable body shop coat your lights for you. Many body shops have access to transparent paints like candy apple red or smoke. Their equipment is *obviously* better quality than your typical spray can nozzle. Of course, they will take care of all the preparation, painting, and clear-coating -- the result would be a lot cleaner this way.

Personally, I dont see the benefit of doing all this work.. because you just end up with LESS light output than what you originally started with. You might as well "window-tint" your lights, atleast you can remove that and wont have to have your lights resurfaced and restored. Removing paint from a tail light is VERY tedious work and will involve lots of wet-sanding and polishing -- a big job.

- Mike
Old 06-24-2003, 07:33 PM
sean6tt

Thanks, Can i go to any auto store, Pepboys or Autozone and buy window film...

How hard is it to install>>???
Old 06-24-2003, 08:40 PM
SmokinZ

You CANNOT use window tint film on plastic lenses!!!!

Plastic on Plastic does not work. Trust me, hell ask any window tinter>
Old 06-24-2003, 08:59 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get it done professionally should cost like 100$ or so.

window tint wont work for many reasons including that you probably wouldnt get it right, the curve is so sharp, youd never get it bubble free.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:06 AM
old_s13

Originally posted by SmokinZ
You CANNOT use window tint film on plastic lenses!!!!

Plastic on Plastic does not work. Trust me, hell ask any window tinter>
I was talking about the lower signals. Window tint will work on the lower signals, they are flat and have no bends.. that should be very easy to tint.

I am not a window tinter, but I dont see what the problem is on tinting something that is plastic -- what appears to be the difference? As long as the surface is smooth with no imperfections, it should work fine.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:29 PM
SmokinZ

I tell ya what... you go ahead and tint those plastic lenses and 6 months from now YOU can tell ME why not to try and tint plastic!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 05:50 PM
old_s13

I am not trying to say it is or isnt possible, I am just asking you why you say its not a good idea to tint plastic, thats all.

I know several professional tinters who tint homes (in addition to automobile tinting). Not all the windows they tint are glass, some of them are plexiglas. In addition, we have a display window at our shop that shows the various tint percentages, and that too is made of plexiglas.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:43 PM
SmokinZ

Okay... Plastic film is made to stick to glass surfaces. Eventually the tint WILL bubble, turn yellow underneath and peel off.
It will not work! As a matter of fact it probably won't even stay good for a day or two.
I'm not gonna use up this forum to explain the chemistry of window film or the physics of plastic vs. plexiglass, so you do what you want to...

I'm just giving some advice... I am in the business.

It's not a good idea because it doesn't work!!!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Zmoney

Originally posted by SmokinZ
Okay... Plastic film is made to stick to glass surfaces. Eventually the tint WILL bubble, turn yellow underneath and peel off.
It will not work! As a matter of fact it probably won't even stay good for a day or two.
I'm not gonna use up this forum to explain the chemistry of window film or the physics of plastic vs. plexiglass, so you do what you want to...

I'm just giving some advice... I am in the business.

It's not a good idea because it doesn't work!!!
I have seen a bunch of jeep wranglers that have the plastic windows tinted on the soft top. Are they using something different or does it adhere because its soft plastic?

Quick Reply: smoked tail lights