Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoked tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 03:46 AM
dwende170

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoked tail lights

Has anyone taken out their tail lights yet? Is it hard to take out? can you reach it from the trunk? the reason is that I'm getting my tail ligts smoked to match w/ my smoked side markers. It's a lot cheaper if I take out the lights myself.

what about the headlights? the yellow strip is kinda bothering me though. I'm making my car all dark since I have super black. little help...
Old 04-20-2003, 07:06 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it tells you in the manual.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:42 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think youmean the shop manual. but yeah, if you have one of them, it does tell you, you might have to remove some other stuff to get to it, but if you have a manual, I bet you could do a better job than the smoked tint guys, they arent any more familiar with it than you are.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:03 PM
azaz

Who is smoking your tailights? I am also interested in having this done or doing it myself but haven't found any info on it yet. Someone had a link for Bodyshopros.com but they didn't tell how this process is done. I have a feeling that it is just a tinted clear and the taillights will be sanded down and sprayed. If that is the case I can do that myself.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:15 PM
alphared

man i guess Im the only one that read the manual. pg 8-28.
Attached Thumbnails smoked tail lights-1.jpg  
Old 04-20-2003, 09:08 PM
PhantomZ

i have tinted the tail lights, bumoer lenses and corner lenses on my car by myself, all you need is
1. VHS nightshades tail light tint spray (basically a spraypaint that makes your taillights as dark as a tint as you want, and as soon as you touch the brake lights, the light shows right through)2. clear-coat.

just make sure your lights are on a flat surface, ans spray from about 18" away from the light. dont overlap the lines. wait a few minutes until dry, then do another coat. if you are doing it right, you will barely see the tint after your first coat. By the third light coat, you get a very nice dark look... hopes this helps, the spray is like 15 a bottle in orlando, it,s a smaller can than regular spray paint.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:28 PM
azaz

Thanks Phantom, you wouldn't by any chance know the name of this spray tint and is it sprayed on the outside of the lenses?
Old 04-21-2003, 05:08 PM
PhantomZ

It is called VHT Nite Shades, the picture on the can is a very 1980's looking guy with some sunglasses on. The rest of the can has some chrome looking paper on it. It is "transparent black taillight lens paint" direct quote off of the can and it is a 7 oz can. with a black top
yes you spray it on the outside of the lights, some people dont clearcoat, but i did because it'll make them last longer and look better. just make sure you are good at painting stuff first because they will bubble up if you make it too thick or hold the can too close, but when you are done they are completely gorgeous...just dont get all crazy and make them too dark, or else The Man will be all over you.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:21 PM
dwende170

thanx for the picture alphared, imma go ahead and try that this weekend. Just out of curiousity, where did you get the manual cuz I haven't seen any. I would love to have one of those.

I will post a picture of my tail lights as soon as I get it done. It'll probably be this weekend if not then next weekend.

Once again thanx.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:09 PM
ares
Veteran

he was actually talking about the owners manual, should have gotten one with your car. otherwise there was an online one a while ago, donno where its at now tho.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:54 AM
alphared

http://www.nissanusa.com/m/pdf/manua...issan-350Z.pdf

registed my Z online, and this was the link they had, cool huh.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:48 PM
ambo

can i spray this inside the tail lights??
Old 04-24-2003, 09:55 PM
PhantomZ

umm, i dont think that you'd get the same effect inside, and with the shape of trhe Z's taillights, the spray would puddle up in the corners, probably wouldnt look too good. Everybody i know put it on the outside, and it is much easier to do that. I believe the can even says something to that effect, but im not about to go outside and look...you might be able to, dont get me wrong, but i wouldn't...and ill be doing some stuff really soon coming up here...
Old 04-25-2003, 07:00 AM
ares
Veteran

I would bet the inside of the light is not smooth, its made as a reflector and what not. but I agree, it would be nice if it was the inside being painted.

itd be cool if someone could make a mold of the stock tail light and make it out of dark red plastic.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:59 PM
ambo

thanks for the input....has anybody tried smoking the head lights??is this a dumb *** idea ..maybe somebody can photochop a Z to see how will this look......
Old 04-25-2003, 08:08 PM
azaz

Thanks PhantomZ!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 09:36 PM
ares
Veteran

smoking the lights is a stupid idea, they have a very important purpose, once you cross the line of asthetics over function youve gone too far.

a safe thing that you can do is either get a set of covers(ugly IMO), or open the headlight and paint the portions that do not act as a reflector for the lights. this would possibly look good, and not hurt anything. but the headlight assembly is a few hundred bucks and my gonads are just not big enough to risk my own set.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:16 PM
PhantomZ

hey ares, you asked about red taillightc, the same company that makes the black tint spray also makes a red spray too, then it will make the taillighta all red, whch by the way looks HOT on red cars, esp on the red Z, and with the headlights, what i did was tape off the whole thing except for that ugly *** amber strip, and then tint just the amber strip, this creates a very nice custom look, and since it is on the outside of the lights, you can see the turn signals thru it during the day, and it blends the body into the lights a little if the colors are the same. the coolest thing is a black car w/ the smoked lights, or a red car w/ the red tint, from the back of a red Z w/red tinted lights, it looks beautiful IMO.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:48 AM
blaque

Phantom, can you post pics?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:50 PM
PhantomZ

i have lots of them, i have a scanner hooked to my labtop, now i dont know what else to do...I did them on my Legend, and it came out great... If somebody could explain how to get the pictures posted to me, i will post the ones of my tasillights, corner lenses and bumper lenses too, I did all of them at the same time, with 2 cans of paint total. 1 can of clear coat was more than enough, and i go crazy with the clear coat because my interior was red accented, and you need lotsa clearcoat so red dosent become pink...

Quick Reply: smoked tail lights