Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help (paint)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Chugg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some help (paint)

so i went and saw my z in the body shop for my dent in the door/roof/hood...well they sanded it down to the metal on those spots and i saw the body filler used to make it smooth, i touched it and it felt just smooth as hell looks like they did a good job on that, now when they paint it today i am not getting the ENTIRE car resprayed just those spots. what are some things i should look for in the new paint? should i not get my hopes up or what? what are some signs of a crappy job? any input would help, my friend told me 2 days after i put the car at that shop (which is a huge shop for the biggest dealer in the city they have like 3 of each brand of cars all over) he said that they have been using the body work guys and teaching them how to paint because there painters had split so i am just a little worried, any insight would be apreaceted pics this weekend hopefully
Old 04-26-2007, 08:00 AM
zeekle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much they don't repaint whole cars anymore unless they have to work on the whole car. Paint tech has come a long way and paint matching can be pretty much perfect. Of course some colors are harder to do than others (not sure what they do for interlagos)

if you can tell its been fixed by looking at it then its a crappy job. You shouldn't be able to tell that its been repainted. If you are not happy with it you do not have to accept what they did. You can make them redo it.

A lot of places now have lifetime warranties on their work.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Chugg

thanks i figured that i hope it turns out okay, its black so the guy told me its not that hard to match it
Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by Chugg
so i went and saw my z in the body shop for my dent in the door/roof/hood...well they sanded it down to the metal on those spots and i saw the body filler used to make it smooth, i touched it and it felt just smooth as hell looks like they did a good job on that, now when they paint it today i am not getting the ENTIRE car resprayed just those spots. what are some things i should look for in the new paint? should i not get my hopes up or what? what are some signs of a crappy job? any input would help, my friend told me 2 days after i put the car at that shop (which is a huge shop for the biggest dealer in the city they have like 3 of each brand of cars all over) he said that they have been using the body work guys and teaching them how to paint because there painters had split so i am just a little worried, any insight would be apreaceted pics this weekend hopefully

Wrong section, but.... They will have to paint the whole panel. Depending on where the dents where they could get by with blending the base and reclearing the whole panel. Some people try to blend the clear. This will cause problems later on. It might be hard to see early though. If this happens later on the part where they cut off the clear will start getting hazy. I'm sure they primered over the filler, but if they're painting it the next day after you saw that they're either real fast or they didn't primer. If they didn't primer you'll see some bleed through. This is where filler and some types of primer actually soak up the base coat. Look for a ring where the filler was. If you have a metallic paint look in the general area of the spots under different light shades. If they didn't feather their edges out the metallics won't flow right at the edges of the primer. It will probably look like a slightly lighter spot. Look for sanding marks. Sometimes they're hard to see so get close and look real good, especially the parts that were worked with filler. Do the same for pinholes. These will be under the base coat and are caused from not getting them out of the filler and primer/base not covering them up. Look for blends in different light. Some people can't blend and if you look at an angle it will look like a different shade all of a sudden. It should be a relatively straight line.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by zeekle
Pretty much they don't repaint whole cars anymore unless they have to work on the whole car. Paint tech has come a long way and paint matching can be pretty much perfect. Of course some colors are harder to do than others (not sure what they do for interlagos)

if you can tell its been fixed by looking at it then its a crappy job. You shouldn't be able to tell that its been repainted. If you are not happy with it you do not have to accept what they did. You can make them redo it.

A lot of places now have lifetime warranties on their work.

Umm, no. I don't care how good the paint is mixed or the painter is. A panel WILL have to be blended. There is absolutely no way to get paint mixed to the exact same shade, metallic content, etc. as the stock paint. Granted most of the time the whole car won't have to be painted, but for example if your hood was messed up and they had to work a decent area in the middle. They will have to repaint the hood and blend over onto the fenders. This will assure you won't be able to see the slightest difference in paint. If a painter doesn't do this then he's not a competent painter. The only way to get by is with bumper covers and side skirts.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Chugg

thanks alot
Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before you have body work/paint done, ask in the regional forum for shop recommendations. Before.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Chugg

i had to go to this shop because of the insurance, but they said they guarantee there work

-edit- link to the body shop its huge http://www.hallnissanofvirginiabeach.com/body_shop.aspx

Last edited by Chugg; 04-26-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:37 AM
infamous350

ur crazy why didnt u bring it to your own place. I got my bumper, hood , light and fender slightly messed up from some lady jamming on her brakes. Anyway my body guy painted my Hood, Bumper , both fenders and the doors he said it was the only way it would be 100% and thats wuti wanted. He even painted my spoiler for me for free. All that for just a 500 dollar deductable . But see at the insurance body shop th3ere gunna try to save hte most money possible if you went to your own place they wouldnt do that. Fixing a spot is just crappy to me it would never look right whole panel has to be painted not just the spot its a cheesy repair in my book. Never use the insurance's body shops always find your own. My guy is a bmw body guy hes the best the car looks 4 times better then when i got it from nissan. If your in newyork and need body work or something painted go to Paul Petrone auto body 190-17 station road 11432 i can vow for him. I mean when u walk into his shop you just see like 50 new beamers, porche, benz no old used cars or nothin like that when i went last time some guy was picken up his sl65 and it looked great

Last edited by infamous350; 04-26-2007 at 08:40 AM.