Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colored Carbon Fiber Hoods? Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
DrPhantum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Colored Carbon Fiber Hoods? Where are they?

I'm the proud new owner of a Daytona Blue Z Roadster, and I'd love to have a blue (or even blue/black weave) carbon fiber hood. I can't seem to find anywhere, though, that has non-OEM hoods in colored fibers.

Why is this? I've seen sites that sell colored CF fabric... so why can't I find a place that sells non-OEM (vented, for example) CF hoods? In addition, it seems that the colored OEM hoods I've found are pretty steeply-priced, so I can only imagine how much a stylized vented hood would be.

Note that I didn't say "they don't make" colored CF hoods... just that I can't find them anywhere. That's me being optimistic and modest.

Somebody please point me in the right direction!

Check out how awesome a stock OEM hood looks in blue/black fiber, and tell me that a vented Seibon-style hood wouldn't look absolutely bad-a$$...

(It's even in MY COLOR...)
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
drooke
Banned

thats cool man i like it
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
jadaniya
Banned

that looks really ricey man. Please dont do this to your roadster.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like the hood is faded out
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
DrPhantum

Looks like it's two against one so far... and Abishop could switch sides if he saw it from another angle...

Remember, Abishop, people with black cars have been putting CF hoods on their vehicles for a long time, and nobody thought that the hood had to match the body exactly. That's kind of the point of having a CF hood, so it's eye-catching. But, "eye-catching" may mean "ricey" to some people, like jadaniya... and that's OK. Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I think it'd be more "ricey" to put a regular black CF hood on my blue car... While I'm at it, why don't I just buy an unpainted body kit and bolt it right on? haha... Anything that hits the road unfinished like that is the epitome of "rice" to me. ( I would like to add, though, that the headlight mod in the pic is stupid, and I wouldn't do that to my car)

I'd like to know if jadaniya thinks ALL CF hoods are ricey... and what aftermarket mods he/she's OK with (Sorry... I can't tell from your username if you're a guy or girl... but you did call me "man" so I'm guessing you're a dude) Jadaniya, wouldn't you rather me put a blue CF hood on my blue car rather than a black one?

Just try to imagine it in person... I think it'd look a lot cooler than you two think it would.

And Drooke... Thanks for the support!

Last edited by DrPhantum; 05-07-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 AM
djnc

varis makes blue, red, and yellow CF weaves for all of their products...pretty expensive, but it seems like the way to go to get that look
Old 05-08-2007, 05:26 AM
davidf

A good paintshop can do that as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seibon makes colored weave by special order. Red, blue, silver, etc.

You can also get a regular carbon hood and put a candy clear coat on top.

Jim
Old 05-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Redmayns

why dont you just have your local shop spray a regular one with some blue looking clear coat, it will make it look alot cooler and different.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
benDF

FYI - the "colored carbon" is actually dyed fiberglass woven together with carbon fiber. 100% carbon fiber is still more expensive last time I checked.

In all honestly, the only cars that looked good to ME with this type of style belonged too.... women. :P

I prefer a light candy clear over a normal CF hood, rather than the hybrid mat. Just my personal opinion.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
DrPhantum

So... you can really get a black carbon fiber hood coated w/ candy paint to have it match your car color, and still tell it's carbon fiber?

Let me ask you guys this, then... I have the opportunity to buy a Seibon TS hood for $350. It's got a few *minor* chips on the corners. You guys may have seen it... It's in a FS thread on this site. Link: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267747

Anyway, I've got a Daytona Blue Roadster...

Should I:
  1. Buy the hood and put it on as-is
  2. Buy the hood and have it "candied" to match my car
  3. Buy the hood and have it painted normally to match the car w/ just the vents showing in CF
  4. NOT buy the hood because it's "damaged"
  5. NOT buy the hood because vented hoods are "ricey"
Thanks for your input!

For those of you that are unfamiliar w/ the Seibon TS Hood...

Last edited by DrPhantum; 05-09-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats, i forget his name on here, Army dude stationed in TX car.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
DrPhantum

Originally Posted by sofa king
thats, i forget his name on here, Army dude stationed in TX car.
His sig says he's located near me in PA. ???
Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 PM
rpacman

I've done the "bought used and painted it route". Overall, I'm happy how it turned out. The CF hood, I bought, was not in the greatest of shape, so it was a long road to recovery. My advice to you is make sure you are content with quality of the hood before you start, because any damage or imperfection (no matter how slight) will be exaggerated when you paint it. I was happy with the hood at first, until the body shop saw it. As for cracks and chipped resin... you can not match if you fill with new resin, so you pretty much have to paint that part solid color, a fade will not cover it. good luck. If I had a chance to do it over again, hell yeah (I got a great deal for the hood )
Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
abyss

That is Jonb7007's car and the hood is painted candy blue..

https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/264218-new-pics-of-my-car-finally-some-of-the-interior.html
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPhantum
His sig says he's located near me in PA. ???
negative. the guy w/ the blue car. jonb.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:57 PM
03Zilverstone

I'd just get a regular carbon hood and have a candy sprayed over it. That way if you ever decide to sale it or go regular you can sand it down good and reclear it.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by DrPhantum
Looks like it's two against one so far... and Abishop could switch sides if he saw it from another angle...

Remember, Abishop, people with black cars have been putting CF hoods on their vehicles for a long time, and nobody thought that the hood had to match the body exactly. That's kind of the point of having a CF hood, so it's eye-catching. But, "eye-catching" may mean "ricey" to some people, like jadaniya... and that's OK. Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I think it'd be more "ricey" to put a regular black CF hood on my blue car... While I'm at it, why don't I just buy an unpainted body kit and bolt it right on? haha... Anything that hits the road unfinished like that is the epitome of "rice" to me. ( I would like to add, though, that the headlight mod in the pic is stupid, and I wouldn't do that to my car)

I'd like to know if jadaniya thinks ALL CF hoods are ricey... and what aftermarket mods he/she's OK with (Sorry... I can't tell from your username if you're a guy or girl... but you did call me "man" so I'm guessing you're a dude) Jadaniya, wouldn't you rather me put a blue CF hood on my blue car rather than a black one?

Just try to imagine it in person... I think it'd look a lot cooler than you two think it would.

And Drooke... Thanks for the support!
No, I do not think all carbon fiber is ricey. I think that picture is disfiguring a perfectly nice car. What aftermarket mods am I OK with? Do what you want to do to your car. You post in a FORUM you will get opinions, and I have given you mine. If you want the hood to look "complete" like you've said, then maybe you should just not get a carbon fiber hood. Because guess what, your stock hood matches your car!! Especially since the picture you posted is of an oem style cf hood. On the other hand, if you'd like a different style hood, then you should get it painted to be "complete."
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM
VenomZ

painted mine:
Attached Thumbnails Colored Carbon Fiber Hoods?  Where are they?-image_066.jpg   Colored Carbon Fiber Hoods?  Where are they?-image_068.jpg  
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 AM
DrPhantum

Originally Posted by VenomZ
painted mine:
VenomZ, can you see the carbon weave through the paint?

Quick Reply: Colored Carbon Fiber Hoods? Where are they?