Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Professional Paint jobs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:23 AM
nicholasm617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people who never had a professional paint job need not reply?
how about a professional that did his own??? thats what i thought,
and as ceo350z stated above me previous post a paintjob JUST for the outside of the car, 1-2k is average depending on what condition the car is in, if you wanna get into special paints or in depth colorsanding itll be a lil more but the prices stated so far are all a few grand up on what they really should be.
i feel bad for anyone who would pay a big price just cus they dont actually know what theyre talking about, but they assume a huge price is gonna be worth it.

id like to know the labor rates of these places.
around here at least insurance pays a body shop 35/hr and so typically customer pay charge is between that and 50/hr.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 AM
abyss

1-2k for a paint job just isn't gonna happen if you want quality... Paint isn't something you cheap out on. I'd love to see the quality (lack there of) of your $2k paintjob.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:15 PM
813motorsports

What makes paitn job is matirals alot of paper and tape and masking time and just basic prep time that's were alot of the money is paint is cheap depending on what your painting but a full paint job jams motor etc gotta be up there 5,000 to 5,500 ish range
Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
nicholasm617

lol at abyss, yea your the sucker that goes for the highest estimate cus you really believe theres a difference.
are you really telling me that if you took your car to a shop just wanting the outside repainted for w/e reason lets say theres barely damage, maybe a few hail dings. you would want to pay like 4 grand?
okay to paint an entire 350z your use about 2 quarts of paint, thats about 250-300 dollars, clear coat and additives another couple hundred, add paper/cleaning materials at about 50-75 bucks, thats about 600...now prep time and paint time at 50 bucks an hour(high price actually) lets say lets say 6 hours to sand the car and fix dings, and maybe 3 more to final sand and prep it for paint, now a few hours to mix paint then paint and clear it another hour to clean it up for delivery to customer. thats totaling out at around 1400 all said and done, so technically you could get it repainted for that little, now lets say the customer wants their car not just freshly painted but in showroom condition, add time and materials for wetsanding, buffing, removing possible overspray, that would come up to about 2000, if you want it in perfect immaculate carshow quality, factor in colorsanding, and much more meticulous attention in the final buffing/wetsanding, your talking about say 2600.
now this is all theoretical and for any given vehicle it could command lots more or lots less money depenging on the specific additives/materials required and amount of work needed, also depending on what needs to be or doesnt need to be removed to do the job right.
now take those three typical customer choices, and apply them to the three typical paint jobs when changing color (discussed earlier) factoring in the more labor and materials required when changing colors and i see nothing wrong with my ideas on pricing.

so back to my statment that someone saying it should be 3-5k JUST to repaint a cars exterior....thats rediculous, go key up your car, and have the insurance company look at it, if they quote you 5k to repaint the exterior id gladly admit im wrong, but till then.... just cus your into cars and read and research...doesnt mean your always correct guys.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
nicholasm617

Originally Posted by 813motorsports
What makes paitn job is matirals alot of paper and tape and masking time and just basic prep time that's were alot of the money is paint is cheap depending on what your painting but a full paint job jams motor etc gotta be up there 5,000 to 5,500 ish range
paints not THAT cheap.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM
typerilliard

Originally Posted by nicholasm617
lol at abyss, yea your the sucker that goes for the highest estimate cus you really believe theres a difference.
are you really telling me that if you took your car to a shop just wanting the outside repainted for w/e reason lets say theres barely damage, maybe a few hail dings. you would want to pay like 4 grand?
okay to paint an entire 350z your use about 2 quarts of paint, thats about 250-300 dollars, clear coat and additives another couple hundred, add paper/cleaning materials at about 50-75 bucks, thats about 600...now prep time and paint time at 50 bucks an hour(high price actually) lets say lets say 6 hours to sand the car and fix dings, and maybe 3 more to final sand and prep it for paint, now a few hours to mix paint then paint and clear it another hour to clean it up for delivery to customer. thats totaling out at around 1400 all said and done, so technically you could get it repainted for that little, now lets say the customer wants their car not just freshly painted but in showroom condition, add time and materials for wetsanding, buffing, removing possible overspray, that would come up to about 2000, if you want it in perfect immaculate carshow quality, factor in colorsanding, and much more meticulous attention in the final buffing/wetsanding, your talking about say 2600.
now this is all theoretical and for any given vehicle it could command lots more or lots less money depenging on the specific additives/materials required and amount of work needed, also depending on what needs to be or doesnt need to be removed to do the job right.
now take those three typical customer choices, and apply them to the three typical paint jobs when changing color (discussed earlier) factoring in the more labor and materials required when changing colors and i see nothing wrong with my ideas on pricing.

so back to my statment that someone saying it should be 3-5k JUST to repaint a cars exterior....thats rediculous, go key up your car, and have the insurance company look at it, if they quote you 5k to repaint the exterior id gladly admit im wrong, but till then.... just cus your into cars and read and research...doesnt mean your always correct guys.
i learned something new today thx..