Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 09:03 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It sounds like you are looking for something that is like what is on the new altima?
Old 05-16-2003, 04:52 AM
jckolnturn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after you put the clear tailights you should drill some holes in your hood and install those little lights and maybe get matching ones on your airvalve covers
Old 05-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ttheisen93
Because the Z isn't a POS economy car trying to look sporty.
It's against safety rules, and it's defenetly isn't sporty. Ever seen clear tailights on a sprot car? F1? Cart? IRL? Grand-Am? Nascar? Ever?

Changing front side reflectors for clear ones kind of not making sence too... I bet guys in Japan are duying to get orange one...
Old 05-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by ares
might be wrong, but I think the G35 is just a cleverly done photoshop where they turned it to black and white.

not positive on that tho.
I guess its PS too. But in any case, it's not a clear taillight. Taillights are red here. Just some plastic around is clear
Old 05-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Ralphus

Originally posted by jckolnturn
after you put the clear tailights you should drill some holes in your hood and install those little lights and maybe get matching ones on your airvalve covers
Yeah, don't forget the valve stem lights! HAHA
Old 05-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Selski12

Originally posted by Vlad
Changing front side reflectors for clear ones kind of not making sence too... I bet guys in Japan are duying to get orange one...
From my understanding, it is only in the U.S. that requires orange lenses. Check out Euro cars like BMW and most Japan cars, they have OEM clear reflectors/corner housings.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 PM
alphared

Never said that I was getting Clear tails, just asked why everyone find it tacky. I really don't think clear tail lights are illegal or else Lexus is breaking the law big time. The IS and RS both have clear tail lights, with the RS being almost totally clear. See I think the New RS tail lights are tastefully done and was referring to lights like that for the Z. No I haven't seen clear taillights on a F1, Nascar, etc.. and I never seen a radio, AC or a nice interior in those cars either.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 AM
d!abolic

Personally, i hate the way the Z's tail lights look. They're probably the only part of the car i can't stand, as the rest i'm in love with. For that reason, i'm seriously considering getting a red 350Z just so they blend in and don't stand out so much. Standing out would be great if they looked hot (like the G35's), but they don't. If i were getting a silver 350, i'd definitely want clear tail lights. Or smoked ones for a black.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:08 AM
doodeitstom

Originally Posted by alphared
Never said that I was getting Clear tails, just asked why everyone find it tacky. I really don't think clear tail lights are illegal or else Lexus is breaking the law big time. The IS and RS both have clear tail lights, with the RS being almost totally clear. See I think the New RS tail lights are tastefully done and was referring to lights like that for the Z. No I haven't seen clear taillights on a F1, Nascar, etc.. and I never seen a radio, AC or a nice interior in those cars either.
From what I know, Lexus is not breaking the law because you can clearly see red reflectors on the bumper or elsewhere. Also, technically, clear corners are illegal because DOT requires amber. However, most popos(so it seems) are accustomed to seeing terrible lighting so I rarely hear about them pulling people over for it.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:27 PM
B-Unit

ONly car i like em on is the IS300
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 PM
kinjal

i think if clear taillights came out for the z, if they were similar in looks and quality to the new lexus RX taillights, i might consider them.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by kinjal
i think if clear taillights came out for the z, if they were similar in looks and quality to the new lexus RX taillights, i might consider them.
Hmm? Interesting. kinjal, could you post pics or a link to these. I'm interested in seeing how these look.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:45 PM
myz8a4re

if a red taillight could be designed where a LED brakelight were present under braking only that would be great. a circular LED setup similar to the G35 to give the taillights depth as opposed to thier current single dimensional design would be nice. but all clear tails would be too distracting......i personally like the tailights on the z, but an inner LED setup for the brake lights would be sharp looking!
alphared, just the fact that all the cheaper import cars have been adding the cleared taillights is the reason it is considered rice. im not stating my opinion there, it has earned its ay into a factual statement. the amber strips in the headlights & the front marker lenses that get replaced are small in detail compared to a full taillight, so it appears as just satisfaction to the owner as opposed to trying to grab attention by replacing larger lenses on the car (i.e. tails).....
-justin
Old 03-23-2005, 01:48 PM
eMpTei

It just doesn't look right.
Here's a PS
Attached Thumbnails Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?-clear-tail.jpg  
Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by eMpTei
It just doesn't look right.
Here's a PS
Eww!? That looks fugly . It would be better if the glass was clear & the backing is black (similar to the Mazda 3 or S2K).
Old 03-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Strife350z

imo the reason they look cheesy on most cars is because it's mostly done by owners of econoboxes, trying to make their sedan/hatch look "better"

think of it this way... the is300 is a 25k car. when rice rockets add clears/altezzas to their car, they're trying to mimick the is300-look. the Z is a 30k+ car... why put a style of light from an INFERIOR car onto a more expensive, classier ride?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:14 AM
JSON

Originally Posted by alphared
RX330 not RS. And I personally hate those lights. And the altima lights. And all these new cars will the damn altezzas.

Originally Posted by Strife350z
think of it this way... the is300 is a 25k car. when rice rockets add clears/altezzas to their car, they're trying to mimick the is300-look. the Z is a 30k+ car... why put a style of light from an INFERIOR car onto a more expensive, classier ride?
IS300 is a $30K+ car.

I guess all of this is subjective, but I really hate clear lights / altezzas. They seem cheap, tacky, and nasty to me. I really hate how a lot of new cars are coming out with them too. Altima would look so much better without them....
Old 03-24-2005, 08:12 AM
kinjal

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Hmm? Interesting. kinjal, could you post pics or a link to these. I'm interested in seeing how these look.
i like the way the rx's taillight looks. but on the image in the post above, which shows the chrome silver with a clear taillight... i can see why everyone is criticizing them. in my opinion, the clear taillight does look ricey on the 350z. i wish the z came with a nice LED taillight like the g35. i know there are aftermarket led's available... but i have other mods to get which are way more important.
Attached Thumbnails Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?-rx-329.jpg  
Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 AM
seanlaw

you mean like this?!?!?

Old 03-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Strife350z

Originally Posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX
IS300 is a $30K+ car.
my bad... didn't use the right exchange rate on that one

(in Canada the IS costs 39k, the Z costs 45k... i accidently did a straight conversion to USD)

Quick Reply: Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?