Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005 | 03:28 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

It would look a lot better if it looked like this (see attached) IF we were to do something like the above pic. I think chrome backing makes it look really tacky/cheap. Black, however, with proper lighting will look pretty nice.

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 06-13-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2005 | 06:13 PM
kinjal

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
It would look a lot better if it looked like this (see attached) IF we were to do something like the above pic. I think chrome backing makes it look really tacky/cheap. Black, however, with proper lighting will look pretty nice.
word... thats what i was trying to describe. i dont think i would get them, but i wouldnt laugh at people who had them either.
Old 03-24-2005 | 06:18 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

Originally Posted by kinjal
word... thats what i was trying to describe. i dont think i would get them, but i wouldnt laugh at people who had them either.
Yeah. Me too. Personally, I think our taillights look fine as it is. Just add one of Bat's overlays & your set .
Old 03-28-2005 | 06:20 AM
seanlaw

gtnpu-
i think you're absoultly right about the chrome and those odd red markers toward the top....i think this set sells for 3 hundred...i'd love to see the chrome be gone and those cheesy red reflectors gone

kinjal-
i wouldn't laugh either if someone had this set or another set...it'd be interesting to see how it actually looks on a Z with gtnpu's suggestions
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:55 PM
myz8a4re

i say leave the tails alone but add LED's just in one cirlce just where the big round brake lens is in the asltezza pic. so whe the brakes are off it looks like stock but when the brakes are applied it gives a new depth to the tails with some flare w/o making them cheesy.......chances of this happening are slim, oh well......

-justin
Old 04-01-2005 | 09:41 AM
old_s13

you are what you eat, same applies to your car.. what you put on there reflects the attitude of the person modifying the car. who here has respect or admiration for companies like APC? not me, I wouldnt be cought dead putting any of the trash they call products on my own car, thats for sure.

a clear sidemarker isnt much different from a clear tail light, except for one thing. the clear sidemarker is a minor violation for street cars and typically does a lot to enhance the look of the car as the headlights of most (if not all) cars are clear, so it all matches. tail lights hands down, are in almost all cases red. anything OTHER than red and you are asking for a citation, unless of course you have a RX330 which you dont, or else you would be on the lexus forum. ( The RX330 has clear tail lights that use LED to emit the proper color light, and they have red reflective lenses on the lower bumper ).

besides that, the person who sketched that idea and turned that design into reality needs to be shot. they have double triangle side reflectors, what on earth is that? there is so much going on that the cleanliness factor is lost and the tail light just looks obnoxious, like a piece of trash.

sorry, thats just my opinion.. it doesnt necessarily apply to this altezza-styled tail light, it more or less applies to all the trashy looking lights that have been littering the aftermarket ever since the release of the original IS300/altezza. these low budget companies profit off of trendiness.. and suckers, well, they always buy into it.
Old 04-29-2005 | 04:49 PM
d!abolic

Wait, what are these? Are they actual 350Z clear tails? If so, what are they called and who sells them? And can the mods you mentioned by DIY?
Old 04-29-2005 | 05:29 PM
B-Unit

not getting these taillights is like an unspoken rule among true car modders with taste. look into some overlays. The amount of people who dig the overlays far exceeds the # of people who would compliment you with those monsters!
Old 04-29-2005 | 08:39 PM
d!abolic

Originally Posted by m|2. B|2 ya|\|
not getting these taillights is like an unspoken rule among true car modders with taste. look into some overlays. The amount of people who dig the overlays far exceeds the # of people who would compliment you with those monsters!
So dark tail lights are tasteful and silver ones are tasteless? Alright, i'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm thinking they'd look good on a black 350. Picture it. The car's black and you've got silver headlights on the FRONT, silver side markers and wheels on the SIDES and nothing on the REAR. Silver tails would fit just right in this case.
Old 04-29-2005 | 09:44 PM
mikewagon

dont put clear tails on. just another reason to be pulled over. and you will be. its just a matter of time. and the time you dont need to be stopped is the time you will be. i remember when clears on civics first came out on the show cars, then went to the street and were kinda cool, then idiots put clear bulbs in the tails and you couldnt tell when they were braking. do what you want with your car, but dont expect everyone to like it.
Old 05-01-2005 | 10:15 AM
old_s13

Originally Posted by d!abolic
So dark tail lights are tasteful and silver ones are tasteless? Alright, i'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm thinking they'd look good on a black 350. Picture it. The car's black and you've got silver headlights on the FRONT, silver side markers and wheels on the SIDES and nothing on the REAR. Silver tails would fit just right in this case.
no, dark tail lights are not a rule....

however, it IS true that chrome is more flashy. see, lets take rims for an example:

chrome knock off wheels - uuuugh.. ugly!
chrome HRE wheels - aaaaah.. nice!

it all depends on how they are used. now, dark tails can be ugly.. but because darker items like wheels and tail lights are less visible (in most cases), they arent as obnoxious

now, lets look at those tail lights.. they are absolutely ugly, with cheap wavey chrome painting and junk quality plastic that will dullen and get all scratched up very easily. not to mention, horrible design which in almost all cases results in condensation.

they cost less than stock for a reason, because they are made from cheaper materials. this is why stock often times rocks.
Old 06-13-2005 | 01:20 PM
xtrememan315

You guys make fun of those Altezza 350Z tail-lights and call them cheap, when they cost like $350 and you guys call it classy when someone puts a $25 overlay on? WTF?!

I do admit that the altezza lights look stupid and bubbly and completely ruin the look for the Z, but they aren't cheap.
Old 06-13-2005 | 02:50 PM
Blue350zCali

It would look a lot better if it looked like this (see attached)
IF we were to do something like the above pic. I think chrome backing makes it look really tacky/cheap. Black, however, with proper lighting will look pretty nice.
Here you go

Old 06-13-2005 | 02:55 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

Hmm? Interesting. Could you find a Z & photochop one of these in? Try it on a SB, PPW, Redline, or SS first.
Old 06-13-2005 | 03:08 PM
Blue350zCali

Hmm? Interesting. Could you find a Z & photochop one of these in? Try it on a SB, PPW, Redline, or SS first.
If you could find me a good picture of one, it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 06-13-2005 | 03:26 PM
Blue350zCali

Old 06-13-2005 | 03:49 PM
Blue350zCali

I like the stock lights or the '06 lights the best.
Old 06-13-2005 | 03:54 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

Hmm? Not bad at all! This light setup actually looks pretty good & looks bad a** on a SB! Plus I'm sure it'll look even better since it will be inside a glass housing. Nice job Blue350zCali! Now I think if they made these, it wouldn't be that bad.

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 06-13-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2005 | 04:40 PM
xtrememan315

I agree that looks kick @$$ in Black!
Old 06-13-2005 | 10:21 PM
SHO-TIME

Originally Posted by Zrated
There is a reason you dont see clear tails on Porsches, nice BMW's, MB's, and any other high end or high performance car. Clear side markers are even getting overdone at this point. The car starts to look like a bad plastic model after a point. IMO its ricey and cheap. But, I do have to agree with others when they say each to there own
I've seen euro tails on an E46 M3. Looks weird...

Quick Reply: Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?