Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 12:22 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?

How come when it comes to tail light, a clear one is consider rice? I mean on a CS or PPW 350Z, it would look pretty nice. Blends in with the car. If its rice to have it clear, than doesn't that hold true for the front too? People want to get rid of the amber and have clear headlights and/or side markers.
A clear tail with clear bulbs (that turns on red) would really make the Z stand out a lot more
Old 05-15-2003, 04:10 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Taste

I think it's just a metter of taste.

Speaking for myself, I don't like the look of the clear lights on any car. The clear lenses expose a lot of the reflector and bulb structure which (to me) look cluttered and messy. The red lenses or smoked lenses hide all of that and make for a smoother appearance.

I also see a lot of red bulbs in clear corners that are slowly turning pink as the red bulb fades. I am sure these are just the cheap units but still...

A lot of guys on the Durango forum have clear corners (ffront or back or both) and I don't like them on the D either.

Of course other people do like em, so get what you like.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:15 AM
ttheisen93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the Z isn't a POS economy car trying to look sporty. It is an exotic looking sports car that will be brought down in appearance by being associated with the tricks the econoboxes use to stand out more. If my experience has been any indication, after driving the Z for a few months, I don't think you could stand out any more unless you were driving the oscar meyer weinermobile.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:53 AM
2K350Z

Because most clear tails look like this (see below) when you slap them on a car, and this makes the car look quite cheap. The tails are thick, look cheap, and the bulbs appear pink when lit up (in most cases).

If it were a quality-made light housing (i.e. glass, which would probably cost quite a bit), maybe things would be different.

My $0.02 . . .
Attached Thumbnails Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?-103_0340.jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 06:39 AM
Zrated

To me most tack-on type mods are ricey/tacky and just make a car look cheap.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:47 AM
350zSpeedRacer

While these clear/altezza tail lights seem to be getting more popular, they're just not something that would EVER appeal to me, personally. When Ford put altezzas on their Lightnig truck, I cringed.

I don't know what it is specifically, but something about the pink lights and the white/clear plastic just looks like something to attract attention. And attention whoring just annoys me.

But hey, it's all about personal preference. If you like it, then whatever. You do stuff to your car that YOU like. But remember all this stuff when it comes time to sell.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:03 AM
ThreeFiftyZoom

Its just plain ugly and reminds me of those see through telephones from years back. Plus they are so associated with "ricers" now that it even makes them look worse.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:13 AM
alphared

Hmmm, so far its all about personal taste. True the frosted, clear ones with the pink lights are really tacky, but I did say clear with red bulbs. I don't seem to agree with some saying that it cheapens the look of the car. (unless its really done bad) I mean if putting on clear tail makes your car look cheaper, that would hold true to clear corners and pure clear headlights. I'm really curious to see how many people would shell out the buck for a JDM clear tail light (the way most do for the JDM clear corners)
Old 05-15-2003, 08:28 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im trying to do just that, create a tail light that is a quality craft. but as you said, how much are people willing to pay? I donno.

the other problem is that they are made to go on a red light, but as you see there, that bulb is red, looks stupid. there is phillips silvervision or whatever that would work, or LEDs, Im going with the latter. we shall see....
Old 05-15-2003, 08:31 AM
shaneotool

I think the reason clear tail lights are considered ricey is because every single ricer in american has them.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:46 AM
afr0puff

Old 05-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Zrated

There is a reason you dont see clear tails on Porsches, nice BMW's, MB's, and any other high end or high performance car. Clear side markers are even getting overdone at this point. The car starts to look like a bad plastic model after a point. IMO its ricey and cheap. But, I do have to agree with others when they say each to there own
Old 05-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Ralphus

Why stop at clear tail lights? Might as well paint your brake calipers, add some stickers, and get a top fuel wing for the back.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:01 AM
salphonso

On alot of cars the clear taillights look like legos to me.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:15 AM
JZC

I like those in the G35C.

If some of that quality would come out for the Z I'd consider it.

It would complete my two-tone image. Of course I'd have to see a picture to check quality.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:58 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might be wrong, but I think the G35 is just a cleverly done photoshop where they turned it to black and white.

not positive on that tho.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:13 PM
dsmal

Actually, clear tails on a PPW would be a bad idea in my opinion. (see attached)

The red makes a nice contrast against the white. Maybe if you had a dark color with clear tails.
Attached Thumbnails Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?-ugly.jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 02:22 PM
afr0puff

Originally posted by ares
might be wrong, but I think the G35 is just a cleverly done photoshop where they turned it to black and white.

not positive on that tho.
Yeah, the G35 was a photoshop I posted a while back. It was done as a joke, but i am surprised that people actually like it. Some people even asked me where I got them and how much.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:49 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What if someone did something that looked similar to the headlights? That might not look *too* bad. I still don't like the idea though.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Selski12

I only like the orange lenses to be clear. Thats it. With our taillights, the whole thing is red and im fine with that.

With this G35..

SAY NO ALTEZZAS!!!

Quick Reply: Clear tail lights, why is that rice/tacky?