Sponsored by:

new stuff at clearcorners.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 02:52 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new stuff at clearcorners.com

they just posted up new stuff there, namely LED combo lights, and head lights.

http://www.clearcorners.com/products...350ZX3/h_lamp/
http://www.clearcorners.com/products.../350ZX3/r_sig/

I dont like the reverse light they did. and to be honest, their prices are off the charts. 800$ for the headlight conversion and they need 2-6 weeks to do it...

I am looking into doing my own, on both areas. but its tough cause both lights are sealed, and at 300$ per headlight assembly and 180$ per combo light assembly, Im a bit hesitant to start fooling around with it. but I am looking into it none the less.

anyway, just thought Id inform you guys of the new stuff their offering.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:01 PM
ares
Veteran

hahaha I know I know, I just cant figure out what he's doing that costs so much. it would appear that he has a custom lens made for the combo light, but both that lens and the lenses in the headlights are so simple. if anything the combo lights would cost more than the headlights.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, those headlights look good. But the price is...well...pricey.

Last edited by Selski12; 05-15-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:16 PM
ares
Veteran

anyone want to donate a headlight to me? haha, Ill give it back with leds in it! haha. he's most likely charging so much because that set your lookin at costs 600$ a pair. from nissan.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:29 PM
dwende170

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree w/ selski12 those look damn good. I've been waiting for these for awhile now but it's a bit pricey. nice post ares.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:11 PM
christurismohk

Can our Headlights do this: (got this idea from the WRX guys a long time ago)
-Take it out of the car
-put it in the oven (YES, oven) for like 15 minutes with 275 temperature
-take it out and then pry open the clear cover with a screw driver
-then paint the silver part into black
-put the clear cover back onto the light
-put it back into the oven and make sure the clear cover is sealed
-put it back onto the car

conclusion, you get yourself a custom light set.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:15 PM
ares
Veteran

probably yes.

you volunteering to find out?

Id have these bad boys made tomarrow if I could risk my own set of head lights, but I cant, so Im saving all the money I am making on the sidemarkers to buy a set of tail lights and the tool to make them. after that, that money will go to headlights, and on and on.

but Im not willing to risk the only set I have, nor can I afford 300$ for a new set to play with yet. but if all goes to plan, it will all be offered by me soon for a bit lower of a price...
Old 05-15-2003, 06:27 PM
christurismohk

For those that are willing to risk their headlights, here are the instructions: (copy pasted from clubwrx.net)
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=14169

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees

2. Clean the outside of the housings with Windex or Glass plus. Baked on bugs will suck to get off.

3. Do the following steps one headlight at a time (unless you have another person helping:
a. Place headlight in the oven on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Make sure the housing is on the middle shelf of the oven.
b. Throw your gloves on and remove the housing from the oven. (Duh )
c. There are 8 nubs on the back part of the housing and 1 screw that hold the entire assembly together. Remove the screw, then use your narrow flat head screwdriver to gently work the front of the housings over at these points.
d. After you have loosened all the nubs there’s nothing holding the housings together but silicon. Pull gently and they will come apart.

4. Set aside the headlight portion of the housing (black part where you attach the bulbs & harnesses)

5. Take other half of housing (clear outer headlight shell & shiny reflector) and remove screws (2) holding the aforementioned pieces together and separate them.

6. Clean any dirt, silicone adhesive, or any other residue off the shiny housing frame Use some mild degreaser or bug & tar remover.

7. After you clean gunk off the frame, use some rubbing alcohol to make sure that the surface is clean and that the paint adheres well. Use a lint-free rag when doing this final prep step or else you will get lint and other particles stuck on the surface when you paint the frame.

8. Remove both the clear plastic bulb cover, and the orange turn signal bulb cover.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:32 PM
ares
Veteran

be careful guys, that can melt your headlight, not sure if I would do it for that long at first, the heating is for the seal, if it doesnt come apart, put it in longer, but if it melts, that would suck, and you can be sure that the Z plastic is as thick as the wrx plastic.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:48 PM
alphared

Well I've read that you can use a heat gun with a screwdriver. Just work your way around the seal and pry.

The black (from what I've seen on other headlights) are a black modded abs plastic that fits over the chrome.

To seal, you could just use a silicon sealant.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:50 PM
ares
Veteran

heat gun does not equal hair dryer.

I found that out many many years ago when I was much dumber and was trying to put covering on a RC plane.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:24 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can n e one make that LED strip so i can replace my amber one? i plan on doing this ill post what happens and take pictures
Old 05-16-2003, 07:11 AM
KJ-350

I dont know whats crazier! The price or the

In order to purchase these lights, you have to send in your stock headlamps for modification. This conversion is highly detailed and requires approximately 2-6 weeks to complete. Please inquire with us should you have any questions regarding the purchase of this conversion.
Soooo, just drive around for a month if not longer with no lamps!
Old 05-16-2003, 09:31 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah I know, Im have already begun looking into a cheaper alternative. I cant say why it would be cheaper, cause I dont have a damn clue how he's charging so much.

the way I see it, the clear strip needs to possibly be remade. take the stock strip, and redo it in clear, this could also be done in smoked amber as well. problem is, to make a mold for it is going to be about 800$ for both sides, then go from there at about 75$ each to actually make them.

right.... anyone wants to spot me 800$ we're in business. didnt think so.

alternative, this "prismatic lens" that it talks of is nothing more than the sheeting that you would see over a flourescent light. however your typical home depot does not sell it in the small size that youd want. I mean the size of the "prisms" are too large. it can be bought online tho. lovely. but you can only have it in clear.

logical sense says that he must be doing something more for 800$, and by more I dont mean that little round thing up top, thats a 30minute job that I dont even think requires the housing to be opened.

but I dont know what else he's doing, so I cant say for sure that mine would look like that.

none the less, first things first, Im doing the tail light, after that I will proceed to the headlight and see what I can do, I can also say that I would have to purchase a core set to send to you, cause 2-6 weeks without a headlight is just stupid.

now if the damn rep from the plastic injection firm would come back from his business trip I could get the ball rolling.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:16 AM
menehune

Originally posted by ares
heat gun does not equal hair dryer.

I found that out many many years ago when I was much dumber and was trying to put covering on a RC plane.
I did that once too. I wasted a whole roll of Monokote.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:26 AM
zeroday

I'm planning on taking apart my Z's lights and painting them black like the clear corners guys did. I don't give a shiz about having LED's in there. Some guys over at acura-cl.com did this with both a heat gun and an *oven*. Either works I guess...but the oven idea scares me. I'll let you everyone know how it turns out when I'm done. Hopefully I won't make any 600 dollar mistakes .
Old 05-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Silver Bullit II

Default HL's

Those look really good but not $800 good. The black would look good on a black Z but I like the chrome on the CS paint.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:25 PM
rodH

Originally posted by christurismohk
For those that are willing to risk their headlights, here are the instructions: (copy pasted from clubwrx.net)
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=14169

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees

2. Clean the outside of the housings with Windex or Glass plus. Baked on bugs will suck to get off.

3. Do the following steps one headlight at a time (unless you have another person helping:
a. Place headlight in the oven on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Make sure the housing is on the middle shelf of the oven.
b. Throw your gloves on and remove the housing from the oven. (Duh )
c. There are 8 nubs on the back part of the housing and 1 screw that hold the entire assembly together. Remove the screw, then use your narrow flat head screwdriver to gently work the front of the housings over at these points.
d. After you have loosened all the nubs there’s nothing holding the housings together but silicon. Pull gently and they will come apart.

4. Set aside the headlight portion of the housing (black part where you attach the bulbs & harnesses)

5. Take other half of housing (clear outer headlight shell & shiny reflector) and remove screws (2) holding the aforementioned pieces together and separate them.

6. Clean any dirt, silicone adhesive, or any other residue off the shiny housing frame Use some mild degreaser or bug & tar remover.

7. After you clean gunk off the frame, use some rubbing alcohol to make sure that the surface is clean and that the paint adheres well. Use a lint-free rag when doing this final prep step or else you will get lint and other particles stuck on the surface when you paint the frame.

8. Remove both the clear plastic bulb cover, and the orange turn signal bulb cover.
MANY MANY guys do this with GTIs too, I really like the look (the round lights are cool, IMO), I am not sure it would look good on a CS Z, but a HELL of a lot better than the light covers

link for instructions

http://www.vwenthusiast.com/cgi-bin/...index&tech.bot

pics

VS

Old 05-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Raistlin

I guess I am lucky with my A4, they sell ecodes (euro headlights that don't require any reflectors) I only paid $400 for mine and just switched the xenon bulb and ballast from my DOT housings. I initially thought that the Z from Japan would not have the amber strip, but I was wrong. (for my girls Z)

This is what the DOT ones look like, the blinker housing is even shaped differently, and of course the ecodes have city lights.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:53 AM
old_s13

Originally posted by ares
hahaha I know I know, I just cant figure out what he's doing that costs so much. it would appear that he has a custom lens made for the combo light, but both that lens and the lenses in the headlights are so simple. if anything the combo lights would cost more than the headlights.
Ares, if things were as simple and inexpensive as you make them out to be, please move to Los Angeles so that we can send you each and every project we work on. We would save a lot of time and money that way!

We have updated the web site with more images of the headlamps, here is a link:
http://clearcorners.com/products/nissan/350ZX3/h_lamp/

And of course, a picture sure is worth a thousand words.. let them do the talking:

Quick Reply: new stuff at clearcorners.com