Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATs with leather shift boot...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATs with leather shift boot...

Before I go any further, allow me to save 90 of you the trouble: 'blah blah blah rice rice rice should've got an MT'.

Moving on, how exactly did you guys fit the leather underneath the shifter gate? I posted the question in a DIY thread, but it's been over a week and without an answer - since the thread is quite old, and cluttered. Can I just use soft-tipped tweezers and tuck it underneath the shifter-ring? Or is it absolutely necessary that the console be taken apart?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Allen331

Umm..where to start. I did this mod and must say that the end result was a 8 out of 10. That being said, i pretty much warped my trim ring trying to get the leather to fit under the circle piece. The trim ring still doesn't sit flush with the other aluminum piece, but it's alright. Basically, just fit your fingers under the circle piece and pull that off. Once that's done, fit the shift boot over the P-R-N-D piece. Then just place the trim ring into the grooves and press down hard. It'll be alot harder to put back on because the leather I used (redlinegoods) is quite thick. Hope this helps
Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 AM
clarkemtp

Use something with *thin* leather. The shift boots that came on my last two six speed Corvettes, a C5 and a C6, come to mind. That leather was so thin it wasn't even funny. It didn't *look* bad, it was just thin. Seriously.

You know, there's a big aftermarket with the Corvette guys replacing their stock shiftboots with custom two-tone, etc aftermarket ones. The Corvette guys usually just toss the old, stock ones in a corner. They'd be perfect for this application.

Regards.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
md350

I guess I could be put under the 90...just curious....why exactly are you doing this? Hopefully not to try to make it pass as an MT....just personal preference for some reason?

Mine is AT, however I'd never even think of installing a boot - very out of place.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Leal25

I have one and it came out very nice as well, looks like a nismo short shifter. aLl i did was take the silver trim off and pushed the boot down with a butter knife
Old 09-19-2007, 04:29 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by md350
I guess I could be put under the 90...just curious....why exactly are you doing this? Hopefully not to try to make it pass as an MT....just personal preference for some reason?

Mine is AT, however I'd never even think of installing a boot - very out of place.
No, not at all. Hehe, if that were the case, then I'd have changed the shifter too to a shorter one. I just love the way it looks on the G35 and M35/45s. I don't like the exposed gate on the Z, looks a little ugly.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by Allen331
Umm..where to start. I did this mod and must say that the end result was a 8 out of 10. That being said, i pretty much warped my trim ring trying to get the leather to fit under the circle piece. The trim ring still doesn't sit flush with the other aluminum piece, but it's alright. Basically, just fit your fingers under the circle piece and pull that off. Once that's done, fit the shift boot over the P-R-N-D piece. Then just place the trim ring into the grooves and press down hard. It'll be alot harder to put back on because the leather I used (redlinegoods) is quite thick. Hope this helps
Ahhh, you know, I can fit my finger underneath the silver ring already. It won't snap back into place, I bought the car that way - kind of weird. Ah well. So that's all I gotta do, eh, just remove the silver trim and the rest is obvious?

Hmmm, I have a whole bunch of leather left over from my old Maxima seats. That's some really thin stuff. I'll cut a piece out, and try to get it to proper size.

Thanks, guys.