Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM
johns350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Adjustment

Hey guys - does anyone else think the headlights are aimed a bit low? Or is it just me. I just drove my daughter's Mazda3 w/Xenon's - much better light pattern (it may help they are adjustable from the driver's seat!).

Anyway - is there a simple height adjustment on them?

TIA - John

PS - yes, I searched. There are a gazillion posts about headlights, but didn't see anything on this topic.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Look near the bottom of the page for the link on Headlight Adjustment.

http://www.hypersprite.com/z/auto/default.htm
Old 12-17-2007, 06:49 PM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hm in that article they discuss how to adjust pre 06 headlights. Is the procedure hte same for the new ones? Or is there some variation..
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM
redlude97

This is for a g35, but the concept is still the same to adjust your headlights to meet dot specs, there should be a 1.2% slope in the cutoff pattern

Originally Posted by redlude97
Since so many people have been picking up the recalled 06 headlights and installing them on their cars without doing any sort of aiming, I figured it was about time this was posted so you don't go around blinding all the other drivers on the road. Improper aiming leads to all sorts of beam issues and glare for other drivers and is extremely inconsiderate. If you have ever removed your projector headlights, or even had the recall work done, check your cutoff using this guide, as none of the dealerships seem to be performing any type of aiming at all.

Tools:
Long thin phillips head screwdriver
Tape measure
Masking tape

Find a location with a flat wall and level ground that you can use as your measurement surface. Aiming is done at a distance of 25ft from the wall, so the area needs to be decently sized. Warehouse/industrial areas are usually good places, find somewhere at night with little ambient light so the contrast is better.

Park your car on level ground 25ft from the wall measured from the front of the projectors, leaving the lights on. Pop the hood to locate the adjustment screw for the projectors. Pics below show how to adjust them. I don't remember if clockwise is up or down, but its pretty easy to figure out by just turning the screw and seeing which direction the lights go.

Below is the alignment guideline for how to aim your headlight cutoff.

A.
This is your reference line, it is the distance between the ground and the middle of the projectors. Measure this distance with the tape measure, and transfer this to the wall, making a straight line parallel to the ground at this height with the masking tape. All your aiming is based off this line, so make sure it is straight and the right height

B. This is the amount of slope the headlights have to meet DOT specs. At 25ft, the lower step of the cutoff should be 2.1-2.5" below the middle of the projector, which is the reference line in red that you marked using the masking tape previously. Check each headlight seperately to make sure the lower step falls on this line.

C.
This is the distance between the projectors, and is measured between the centers of the two projectors. This distance on the wall is measured between the slopes of the two projector cutoffs. This measurement is to make sure the projectors are actually pointed straight ahead. Another way to make sure is to drive towards and away from the wall and see if the two angled slopes move left and right. If they aren't pointed straight, either loosen the headlight bolts and adjust them until they are straight, or remove the headlights and adjust the two 8mm bolts on the rear which adjust the horizontal alignment. This is a tedious process and will require multiple removal/reinstalls

D. This is the distance from the projectors to the wall as mentioned before, 25ft. This is the standard distance for measurement performed to meet DOT specs.

Make sure that the lower and upper cutoffs are even with each other and that they are parallel to the ground. If they are rotated/angled, its likely the way the headlights were installed, and you need to loosen the bolts and adjust them around until they are level.

Hopefully now at least we can limit the amount issues with people installing recalled headlights, or those who have removed/ installed 06+ headlights. This needs to be done EACH TIME the headlights are removed and reinstalled as slight alignment issues can wreak havoc on cutoffs.

Last edited by redlude97; 12-17-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: oops, forgot to quote my DIY
Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 PM
johns350

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Look near the bottom of the page for the link on Headlight Adjustment.

http://www.hypersprite.com/z/auto/default.htm

I'll give it a try this weekend....REALLY dark roads here in Northern Texas!

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
z33marv

funny you should start this thread i was just about to....no u are not alone i too have been wanting to adjust the lights they are just to low on my 06z its just hard to see sometimes
Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by z33marv
funny you should start this thread i was just about to....no u are not alone i too have been wanting to adjust the lights they are just to low on my 06z its just hard to see sometimes
Yup - lots of light, but doesn't reach far enough IMO. I will try this adjustment on Sat. Been meaning to post this for a while - but kept forgetting. Good Christmas present...being able to see again!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:37 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The procedure is the same although the hight might be a little different as it depends on the cars hight. Using the same measurement technique, check where you are and write it down, try setting it at the 26.0 and test driving it and see what you think. The main thing is not to go so high that you will blind oncoming cars or the people in front of you at the same time you got to be able to see the varmint on the road and not just the road.

Chris
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
6MTG354ME

How do I adjust the fog lamps? On the wall, the left side is too high on just the fog light. It looks to be seated in correctly.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, I noticed the same thing a while back. The light was just aimed way too low. I ended up slowly adjusting the headlights and 2 full turns for each headlight ended up being a very good adjustment for me. No issues with oncoming traffic and my visibility improved significantly. Because we have projectors, our vertical cutoff is very good so it's fairly safe to aim them a little higher within reason, ofcourse. The Z is so low anyways that no one has complained so far. No flashing yet and when I followed my wife home the other day, she didn't say anything. The adjustment was really minor but just enough to really help the down-the-street visibility.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
CarbonZ08

I'm actually on the road right now, my girl is driving and I've been meaning to search for a fix to this problem. I will give it a try once we get to her parents in DE. Thanks to those who posted this.