Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: T Tops on 350
Cool idea, Lets see some photochopping!!!!
49.51%
Tasteless, and obscene
9.71%
undecided, lets see some photochopping!
10.68%
Targa
30.10%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Poll : T Tops

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 04:40 PM
brakedustZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Poll : T Tops

Just curious if anyone else thought that the z might be cool with T tops. I know its in the z family already so it wouldnt be overstepping the heritige, but would it be too much?
Old 06-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Rampant

Here is a quick PS chop for a visual. I actually like the look of the coupe better (smoother, flowing lines), but I still think it would be great for top down cruising and look MUCH better than the vert with the top up (on).
Attached Thumbnails Poll : T Tops-z-targa.jpg  
Old 06-08-2003, 05:07 PM
brakedustZ

Thanks for the pic, that helps even me visualize it more...
Old 06-08-2003, 05:21 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id love it, but we dont have it, and custom T-Tops would be horrible. owell, not much you can do.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:27 PM
350zSpeedRacer

I *might* have been tempted to get a targa top option if it was available, but I've had T-Tops on a car before, and they got old fast. Leaking, wind noise, etc. I would have looked back and remembered and then came to my senses about the targa as well. Besides, I don't want to comprimise any rigidity.

But if you're going just for looks and some feel of a vert, I think a targa top would be perfect on the Z!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:43 PM
brakedustZ

Talking hmmmm targa....

good idea, maybe i should change the question a little,

i know that i am not much of a vert person, but i love the idea of t's and targas, it gives you that extra option to mix things up everyonce in a while....

***EDIT***

ares, 350zSR - you are both mods, so feel free to edit the poll to allow for this new option

***end***

Last edited by brakedustZ; 06-08-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Halfpipe

Targa would be better
Old 06-08-2003, 07:08 PM
JZC

I'm really considering a Targa top.

My car will never be tracked or anything, it's a daily driver/show car so I'd be willing to compromise some rigidity.

It's a ways down the road though.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about a targa too. Lamborghini style doors, targa top, rhd conversion, wow.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:53 PM
myG35zx

I had a 1984 Turbo zx for 12 years. It had T-Tops. I drove that Z cross country several times, placed 125,000 miles on it and loved every mile. It was a very reliable car for me except for the last 1000 miles (I sold it at that point). The t-tops were great! Never leaked, never had noticable wind noise and always was great. IF the G came with t-tops (and looed as good) I would have chosen that option. The only bad thing about the Targe is handling and storage. Two small lids vs. 1 big lid.
Robert
Old 06-16-2003, 02:46 PM
RaggedyMan

I'd also love to see a targa. But, it looks like there is a lot of roof between the A and B pillars. Might be hard to fit the top in the back.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:30 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally posted by myG35zx
I had a 1984 Turbo zx for 12 years. It had T-Tops. I drove that Z cross country several times, placed 125,000 miles on it and loved every mile. It was a very reliable car for me except for the last 1000 miles (I sold it at that point). The t-tops were great! Never leaked, never had noticable wind noise and always was great. IF the G came with t-tops (and looed as good) I would have chosen that option. The only bad thing about the Targe is handling and storage. Two small lids vs. 1 big lid.
Robert
ditto
wanted to add, id take T-Tops over the convertible
and i really want a 911 targa
Old 07-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Rakshas

There is a difference between t tops and targa tops. T-Tops are two pieces that attach to a center pillar. Targa tops are one big piece. I like T-tops better beacuse theyre on my trans am.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:36 PM
old_s13

Targa is nice but the bulkiness can be an issue for some people. The 280ZX and Z31 300Z had t-tops which were nice, but I was never too fond of how they made the car look. NISSAN did a much better job with the Z32 300Z, I cant really place my finger on what they did to make them look so stealthy.. but I am sure the LACK of chrome molding really made them look low-key. I dunno, when they are too noticeable it just reminds me of a tank-top shirt.. just way too `80's-esque.. ha!

The biggest downside to having t-tops is that they are super expensive to replace should anything happen to them. Sure you can get them used.. but should you ever need them from the dealer, its over.. they usually run over $1000/ea. I still have the spares from the old Z32-TT 2-seater which I need to sell! Anyone interested?

I'll tell ya one thing though, I'de take targe, t-top, or hard-top.. over the Z convertible. I've never been a fan of convertibles unless its a small roadster (Miata). I dunno, the new Z convertible kinda looks okay.. I am just sceptical I guess.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:12 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

i fell in love with targas when i saw my friend supra,
couldnt even tell until the tops was off.

it was beautiful.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:21 PM
z2thdr

1987 300ZX (Z31) 2+2 with T roof and 350Z. A T roof gives you the best of both worlds. I agree that the Z32 has more esthetic lines and would have preferred a T roof on the 350Z instead of the convertible.
Attached Thumbnails Poll : T Tops-z-1.jpg  
Old 07-07-2003, 01:19 PM
old_s13

Originally posted by z2thdr
1987 300ZX (Z31) 2+2 with T roof and 350Z. A T roof gives you the best of both worlds. I agree that the Z32 has more esthetic lines and would have preferred a T roof on the 350Z instead of the convertible.
Ah man, what a change huh! Thats a great picture showing the two cars.. amazing what a difference a few decades or so makes!!!

I have always been around NISSAN vehicles, it was so crazy to see the Z31 back in the day.. and how beautiful it looked. Then the Z32 came out and WOW, what a change. I mean even the 240SX had such nice styling when compared to the Z31. I dont want to say "better styling" because I am sure some older Z owners would get pissed, I dont mean it like that. I just mean its more "modern" looking. What a change in the way cars looked from the 80s to the 90s. The change from the 90s to the 00s wasnt as enjoyable for me. There are VERY few cars that I appreciate nowadays, the Audi TT and the Z are one of the few. The new Turbo Carrera's have looks that kill, so does the Corvette.. I am curious as to how it will look when redesigned.

Well, thats not to say that older cars cant look good.. because I have OH too many pictures of older 240Z's that look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. I even have pics of some Z31's that look REALLY good.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:00 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally posted by old_s13
The new Turbo Carrera's have looks that kill
on that note
the 996 bodystyle is the only 911 i have ever liked, the headlights finally look like tehy are part of the body.
am i to understand though that you dont like the Z32 body?
or did i read it wrong.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
old_s13

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
on that note
the 996 bodystyle is the only 911 i have ever liked, the headlights finally look like tehy are part of the body.
am i to understand though that you dont like the Z32 body?
or did i read it wrong.
Ah.. the headlights are possibly the only things I really dont care much for.. mostly because they have OH too much in-common with the Boxster. The Boxster is an okay car, but its design upsets me too much -- I dont like how the front doesnt differ much from the back. I've never liked how much in-common it has with its older brother, from the headlights to the interior. It very much fustrates me. I think Porsche needs to spend more time SEPARATING their product line. Look at the new Cayanne or whatever, I cannot stand the headlamps OR the bumper. The new Carerra Turbo is drop dead gorgeous. I've also liked the old 959 and the `80-ish 911's.

When it comes to Z's, I've always had a LOVE for the oldest -- 240Z. From then on, my interests tapered off until the mid `80s when the Z31 was introduced. It was around then I started getting interest again, but it was only until the Z32 was released that I was sprung again! I think NISSAN did an excellent job with the Z33, very nice follow-up to the Z32. I know a lot of hardcore enthusiasts dont feel the Z33 "fits the bill" but, only time will tell. I cant wait to see people start stripping and heavily modifying their Z33's. Its kind of depressing looking at most 350Z's in the magazines, all they have is tons of graphics, wheels, exhaust.. and thats about it. I cant blame most people though.. who wants to bastardize a brand new car! (me.. but.. thats another topic).
Old 07-08-2003, 09:07 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

all the big modifications are still being tested, i think about now your gonna start to see some more extreme 350Z's

Quick Reply: Poll : T Tops