Sponsored by:

Clear corners install ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zybermunster
Trust me, just undo the undercover, no need to even loosen the wheelwell covers, if you've got a buddy it helps, hell, even the wifey or gf will do!!

Raise the front of the car (ramps will do) so you can access the front undercover, think safety FIRST!!

It's all 10mm bolts and the "pop-out" type fasteners, took me and my brother 20min max to do it, he worked one side while I worked the other.
We used a combination of a small (5"~6") Phillips screwdriver and a "stubby" Phillips screwdriver for the lens holding screws.
Just be patient and "wiggle" them out once unbolted. Install is the same procedure in reverse order.

Hand tools: Phillips "stubby" screwdriver, Phillips 6" screwdriver, small flatblade screwdriver (for fasteners), 10mm socket with preferably a 1/4" drive or a 10mm box wrench (DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN COVER BOLTS).

Hope this helps.

Laterzzz...
I did the driver's side very quickly, but the passenger side has been a different story. I went in through the wheel well cover on each side, because I used the OEM jack and could only go up so high (my car is very low as well). Anyway, the issue is that damn tank on the passenger side. I can get to the screws but, because of the tank, I can't get a good grip on the screwdriver to put enough torque to break the screw loose. I was using a little flathead which was small enough to fit the lens' phillips, but I bought a stubby phillips to try again today. So I have mismatched lenses for now...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 AM
The Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hwood
If you can't install reflecors you should not even own a bike. Quit being a nancy boy and do it.
Good job detective:

Too bad he already installed them AND posted pics.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
moforeynolds

Originally Posted by ny300z
how is it EASIER to remove the whole front bumper and then risk having it not line back up perfectly?
I know this is an old post, but in the interest of good information (and since this thread was bumped) you won't have any problems lining the front bumper back up. My Eclipse was slammed, and the only way to get a jack under it was to remove the front bumper; I had it held on by maybe 6 screws total, and it was perfectly fine. I would take the bumper on and off extremely often to load it on trailers for car shows, etc.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Originally Posted by moforeynolds
I know this is an old post, but in the interest of good information (and since this thread was bumped) you won't have any problems lining the front bumper back up. My Eclipse was slammed, and the only way to get a jack under it was to remove the front bumper; I had it held on by maybe 6 screws total, and it was perfectly fine. I would take the bumper on and off extremely often to load it on trailers for car shows, etc.
Looks like this is the route I will be taking...the passenger side is too hard to access by using the other method (unless you have small hands I guess)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
moforeynolds

I'm installing mine this week too (I've had the clears for over a year, just found them when I was cleaning so I figured what the hell haha), just going to take the bumper off. I think I'm going to cut the grill out while I'm at it.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
whitecel

When I did mines on my '06, I removed the bumper. I tried just pulling back the fender lining, but couldn't get to the two philips screws holding thoses things in since they face towards the center of the bumper. I got lazy with those bolts and used my air ratchet to take all of them out. Makes a big difference for the side bolts in the bumper if you have a very long extension for the 10 mm bolts. I think you need to remove 3 bolts (10mm) for the sides to come off.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
The Captain

Just raise the car a few inches off the ground and removing the bumper becomes a lot easier (I've even done this with the stock emergency kit in the trunk). Then you don't even have to remove the wheel wells, just turn the wheel so that the side you're working on has the tire faced away from the car, pull the wheel well open just enough to get a socket wrench w/ extension to remove the two bolts holding the bumper on.

*edit*

As whitecel said, there are 3 bolts total if you want to remove the entire mounting bracket for the front bumper. 2 if you just want to remove the bumper while leaving the bracket on.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:21 PM
jgregory124

looks great
Old 03-24-2008, 12:35 PM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Originally Posted by DukeEntDotCom
Looks like this is the route I will be taking...the passenger side is too hard to access by using the other method (unless you have small hands I guess)
Okay, all done! Removing the bumper is much easier than anticipated. I'll post pics later on this evening.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Originally Posted by DukeEntDotCom
Okay, all done! Removing the bumper is much easier than anticipated. I'll post pics later on this evening.
I went to take pics, not realizing how low my battery was...I managed to get one pic before the cam died...I'll take a few tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 PM
usmanasif

I wrote a DIY on this that would've made your life a lot easier. Good to know you figured it out. Yes, removing the front bumper is so easy that I wouldn't mess with other options.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Took a few more today...here is the other side...
Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
md350

Its already done but yeah removing the front bumper is super easy and makes the process easier too. I tried doing it through the wheel well at first but that was a waste of time and blood on the passenger side.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:36 PM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Originally Posted by md350
Its already done but yeah removing the front bumper is super easy and makes the process easier too. I tried doing it through the wheel well at first but that was a waste of time and blood on the passenger side.
Exactly...I thought I was saving myself trouble, but I was wrong...the bumper comes off very easily vs. trying to squeeze your hand in to get the passenger side side marker screws...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I break pretty much everything I touch and even I was able to remove the front bumper to install my clear reflectors. And this leads me to a perfect excuse to ***** a picture:

Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM
usmanasif

Whoa! That MB is super clean. Very nice!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

yea i did it without removing the front bumper, but like everyone said its a pain in the *** to get the one on the passenger side due to the windshield washer resevoir..
Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Spoiled Z

I'll install mine today. I will not be taking off my bumper as I have small hands.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Spoiled Z

OMG are you guys serious. I installed the clear corners with no problem. I didnt take the bumper off. I'm a girl so you guys must have fat hands.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
whitecel

Originally Posted by Spoiled Z
OMG are you guys serious. I installed the clear corners with no problem. I didnt take the bumper off. I'm a girl so you guys must have fat hands.
I admit it....I'm part of the % of America that is fat Not obese though

Quick Reply: Clear corners install ??