Sponsored by:

Factory tint peeling off...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xzero
My roadster has "tinted" factory windows. If you look at the front, side & back window, they are SLIGHTLY "tinted". I know what fr0ngs talking about. It sucks that yours is peeling, mine seem to be on there pretty good. Guess your only option is to get aftermarket tint.
Wrong. Car manufactures do not TINT your windows for you. Dealers have a tint guy come in and add the smoked tint to your windows.

Nissan's and other manufactures glass have a small amount of UV protection (sometimes a green color) in the glass to help protect the interior. It is not tint and it will not peel. It is IN the glass itself and not on the outside of the glass.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Wrong. Car manufactures do not TINT your windows for you. Dealers have a tint guy come in and add the smoked tint to your windows.

Nissan's and other manufactures glass have a small amount of UV protection (sometimes a green color) in the glass to help protect the interior. It is not tint and it will not peel. It is IN the glass itself and not on the outside of the glass.
I wasn't wrong. You just proved so in your second paragraph. Way to post info that I already posted in #16....... You're quoting me before the proof was shown & if you can't see the word TINT in my comment was quote-unquote tint, as in I don't know what the technical name is as of yet, but that is its feature.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:16 AM
east1999bt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ his point is that it doesn't peel off. and i can't see a way for anything to start peeling off on my windows either. you just had bad luck with whatever tint the dealer or someone else slapped on before you got the car
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, the factory UV protection will never peel off. It is INSIDE of the glass. Have you ever broken a car window before or had a car window broken? You can see through the inner parts of the glass and it still has that coating. It is in the glass itself not on the surface.

TINT is a aftermarket tint that some dealer had put on that is peeling. It is not the factory UV protection which no one really considers it "TINT".