Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
DML85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job

I'm thinking about painting my 350z. Does anyone have any experience with MAACO and their work? They range from a few hundred dollars to a thousand or more. I know the get what you pay for an all. But what are some good nationwide places do you knwo of? What can I expect to pay too? Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Asian Invasian

You have to ask yourself a few questions first.

1. Could there be much better use to your money.
2. Are you willing to spend like 3-5k for a good paint job.
3. Would you be happy with a shitty maaco job which would peel after a year?

What color is your car?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 AM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt take my car to MAACO.

Find a reputable paint shop in your area. Im sure someone can recommend one for you.

Again, Do Not Go To MAACO
Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 AM
DML85

Oh I don't plan on doing the few hunder dollar one, I know you get what you pay for. But I got a white 350. But ya there's stuff i can do besides this I'm just thinking about prices.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Zridder19

Dude have you gone ******* mad? You are considering taking your car to MAACO? If you are stupid enough to consider that than I say go ahead, otherwise, you are going to be lookin to pay about 3k for a decent paint job depending on the quality of the product and the quality of the work.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the people who are responding aren't familiar with MAACO. Most MAACO shops are privately owned and a lot do good paint jobs. Therer are a lot of diff type of paint jobs that they can do. The crappy ones are the 100-500 dollar ones that you see on tv or what not. They can do a good job, but it will cost at least 3.5k minimum. If you want a nice one with all jambs with good paint and extra wetsanding to take out all orange peel, it would cost 5K and up. I have a friend that works at MAACO and he has painted some local exotic cars before. he does great work. He works at MAACO because it's easy money.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Zridder19

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i think the people who are responding aren't familiar with MAACO. Most MAACO shops are privately owned and a lot do good paint jobs. Therer are a lot of diff type of paint jobs that they can do. The crappy ones are the 100-500 dollar ones that you see on tv or what not. They can do a good job, but it will cost at least 3.5k minimum. If you want a nice one with all jambs with good paint and extra wetsanding to take out all orange peel, it would cost 5K and up. I have a friend that works at MAACO and he has painted some local exotic cars before. he does great work. He works at MAACO because it's easy money.

Umm, so you are telling me that I am not familiar with MAACO? I have gone to auto body school and have a 4 year degree. I also have worked in several body shops and restoration shops for several years. I do beleive I know what Im talking about. Or maybe Im just the only one that wouldn't let a shop that will do a $100 paint job touch my car.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Zridder19
Umm, so you are telling me that I am not familiar with MAACO? I have gone to auto body school and have a 4 year degree. I also have worked in several body shops and restoration shops for several years. I do beleive I know what Im talking about. Or maybe Im just the only one that wouldn't let a shop that will do a $100 paint job touch my car.
Did you read my above post? Maaco doesn't just do cheap paint jobs. They have higher end paint jobs that cost more. They don't just give every idiot a spray gun and just spray your car. The ones you are referring to are those cheap "ambassadors" paint job that they don't even take off body panels and plastic panels.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Zridder19

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Did you read my above post? Maaco doesn't just do cheap paint jobs. They have higher end paint jobs that cost more. They don't just give every idiot a spray gun and just spray your car. The ones you are referring to are those cheap "ambassadors" paint job that they don't even take off body panels and plastic panels.

Regardless, I dont know about you, but I would not take my car to a shop taht would do a paint job in the range of $100 to $5000 thats just a bit fishy if you ask me. Same chitty product just a different painter?
Like I said, maybe Im the only one that wouldnt take my car to such a low end shop. Would you take your Z to Walmart to get service done if they offered quality of a Dealership? Not me my friend.

Jordan (is done ranting)
Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
SuperBlack350z

Regardless, I dont know about you, but I would not take my car to a shop taht would do a paint job in the range of $100 to $5000 thats just a bit fishy if you ask me. Same chitty product just a different painter?
Like I said, maybe Im the only one that wouldnt take my car to such a low end shop. Would you take your Z to Walmart to get service done if they offered quality of a Dealership? Not me my friend.

Jordan (is done ranting)
let's put it this way. Let's say since you just went to school 4 years. You do a great job at body work, use a nice expensive gun, wear proper clothing and mask, take all precautions to not have trash in the air and have little fish eyes, you paint very well, you know how to wet sand and use a proper buffer and don't leave buffer trails. You do a great job...

Now lets say you work at Maaco because you get paid more than other places, have work always coming in(but most body shops do), and is a better work environment. But since you work there, everybody says Maaco does a sh!tty job..wouldn't that make you do a sh!tty job? no, regardless how bad a rep Maaco has, you would still be a good body tech and painter.

My point is there are a lot of good people working at Maaco..not all stores, but it will vary depending in your area. The best bet for the OP is to ask around about who does high end paint jobs.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
The Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was quoted 4.5k to repaint the entire body at a dealership where they remove every piece and paint it just like a factory car (or so they claim). I was just curious one day, so I had to call an ask... figured you may find this info useful.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Zridder19

Dont listent to teh stealership. They are all liers!!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
SuperBlack350z

My buddy who does painting for Maaco has done a full color change on a lambo, has done a lot of restored cars at his old hot rod shop. Everybody in the area knows him and bring their cars to Maaco and pays him a lot of money because of his old rep and work. Regardless that he is working at Maaco. He chose to work there because of being a boss and working less straining hours and still making more. You can give him 8k and get a nice paint job done properly or you can give him 500 and get your car just taped up and sprayed. You get what you pay for but i never told the OP that he had to pay 250 dollars for a paint job.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 03-14-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by rgeist554
I was quoted 4.5k to repaint the entire body at a dealership where they remove every piece and paint it just like a factory car (or so they claim). I was just curious one day, so I had to call an ask... figured you may find this info useful.
what i hate about dealers is that they use a guy that paints out of his van outside. he's just a regular PDI guy. They try to sand out the trash in the paint it's a slim chance your car will come out with an oem quality paint job.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
shabarivas

Jordan (is done ranting)
LMAO CASe and PoinT!! no walmart = no MACCO!!