Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willing to pay $1000 if anyone sells or can make this!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Willing to pay $1000 if anyone sells or can make this!!

If any of you seen the hood from Auto Modelista (Playstation 2) made by C-West with 1 large backwards hood scoop, and is invisable from a eye level view, but VERY noticeable from driver seat/side/rear view.. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Here are a few pictures enclosed of the type of hood I'm looking for, but only on a NSX.. I understand the "trunk" is in the front of the car so it's much deeper, but if it's even a decent size vent, I'd be highly interested.
Attached Thumbnails Willing to pay 00 if anyone sells or can make this!!-picture-014.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Ricky
Banned

Side/Rear view.
Attached Thumbnails Willing to pay 00 if anyone sells or can make this!!-picture-015.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Ricky
Banned

Another Front view (I'm standing up and leaning as much as possible)

Also, in the picture part of the vent doesn't have the mesh, I'd want the entire vent meshed.
Attached Thumbnails Willing to pay 00 if anyone sells or can make this!!-picture-042.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

gimme a grand and i'll have it done in two weeks.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:18 PM
wren57
Banned

thats EXACTLY what I was going to do. check the private classifides, im searching for a backup stock hood so I can axe away. All you have to do is buy a cheap generic scoop, cut a hole in the hood, mount it upside down, bond the sheetmetal and paint it and walla, cheap, custom, functional da*n nice looking hood
Old 06-29-2003, 09:32 PM
denic79

I met the kid that owns that nsx. He is with import expressions. That car is sick he pulled into bayside expo center in boston and i got goose bumps, that car is all hooked up he told me he brought most of the parts from japan.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:56 AM
zeroday

i really don't think you can make one like the nsx for the Z. the nsx has no engine up front, allowing a hood scoop like that. We've got barely any room in the front so I don't know where you're gonna 'scoop' into?
Old 06-30-2003, 07:00 AM
old_s13

Yes.. but the tail lights on the NSX are just SO dated..!

Hey man, what can I say.. I'm a lighting nut. I like the front bumper, it looks good from that angle.. it would be nice to see more pics of that car.

Just curious though, whats the point of venting the hood of a mid-engine car? I hope there is some purpose behind that. I can see the compartment area filling up with water when it rains..
Old 06-30-2003, 07:24 AM
wren57
Banned

the purpose is to have the air run through the front bumper then out/up through the hood, acting as a huge spoiler on the front glueing the front tires to the road...
Old 06-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Sanderman

Originally posted by wren57
the purpose is to have the air run through the front bumper then out/up through the hood, acting as a huge spoiler on the front glueing the front tires to the road...
Yes, but that only really works on cars with no engine up front. That allows you to pass air though the radiator and out the top of the hood in a fuctional way.

Last time I checked the Z isn't a mid engine....

joe
Old 06-30-2003, 09:12 AM
wren57
Banned

he asked the purpose of a hood scoop on a mid-engine car, and I responded. how is that confusing? on a front-engine car, like the 350z, it still works aerodynamically, but not as much. The main function of a hood like that on a front-engine car is to keep air circulating into/out of the engine to keep underhood temps down. That make you happy?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:16 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Sanderman
Yes, but that only really works on cars with no engine up front. That allows you to pass air though the radiator and out the top of the hood in a fuctional way.

Last time I checked the Z isn't a mid engine....

joe
It technically is mid-engined, just in the front.

- Mike
Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Ricky, what about S2000 style

Another

Old 06-30-2003, 10:51 AM
wren57
Banned

seeing those is driving me crazy! I want to do one very similar to all of these but cant find a stock hood for sale anywhere...
Old 06-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Sanderman

Originally posted by wren57
he asked the purpose of a hood scoop on a mid-engine car, and I responded. how is that confusing? on a front-engine car, like the 350z, it still works aerodynamically, but not as much. The main function of a hood like that on a front-engine car is to keep air circulating into/out of the engine to keep underhood temps down. That make you happy?
Sorry, you're right, I missed that. I was responding more to your assertion that you would end up with a functional hood on the Z. I don't think you would. More likely you would screw up aerodynamics at speed by causing more turbulence over the hood itself. Cosmetically? You might like it. Functionally? No meaningful benefit and likely disruption of air flow over the hood.

joe
Old 06-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think you're a little incorrect..

a hood like that, with a not-so-steep louvers (aka those fins) would benefit the Z's engine bay.

the engine bay is notorious for heat, adding vents like that would allow not only the air going INTO the radiator, but a way for the warm air to LEAVE the hood and vent to the atmosphere.

functionality with aerodynamics, the drag coeficient wouldnt be affected so much (perhaps a 0.01 CD increase) from the air flow leaving, but its just 'riding' the air thats flowing over the hood anyway..

the air over hood/car would act like a vacuum and the air would be sucked out from under the hood...

you might have seen the Hasemi sport hood or even the top secret hood, both are designed to suck air away from under the hood and from the radiator..

another option to cure the heat underneath the hood is to creat air channels UNDER the car via diffuser. also by creating a lower pressure zone under the car, it acts like a vacuum, drawing air away from the radiator and accelerating it to the back, while sucking the air down.. even at low speeds, air is still moving and works. but it would work more so at higher speeds with higher air velocities.....

cosmetically: yes, for some people.... functionality: yes.

you can only disrupt the airflow over the hood if you have objects protruding over the stagnation point on the surface of the hood (i.e. a few inches over the curve).. then yes. that might jack up the air flow toward the windsheild....

Originally posted by Sanderman
Sorry, you're right, I missed that. I was responding more to your assertion that you would end up with a functional hood on the Z. I don't think you would. More likely you would screw up aerodynamics at speed by causing more turbulence over the hood itself. Cosmetically? You might like it. Functionally? No meaningful benefit and likely disruption of air flow over the hood.

joe
Old 06-30-2003, 11:51 AM
wren57
Banned

^yup... I agree with everything said above
Old 06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Sanderman

Default But let's be honest here....

Originally posted by Chebosto
i think you're a little incorrect..

a hood like that, with a not-so-steep louvers (aka those fins) would benefit the Z's engine bay.

the engine bay is notorious for heat, adding vents like that would allow not only the air going INTO the radiator, but a way for the warm air to LEAVE the hood and vent to the atmosphere.

functionality with aerodynamics, the drag coeficient wouldnt be affected so much (perhaps a 0.01 CD increase) from the air flow leaving, but its just 'riding' the air thats flowing over the hood anyway..

the air over hood/car would act like a vacuum and the air would be sucked out from under the hood...

you might have seen the Hasemi sport hood or even the top secret hood, both are designed to suck air away from under the hood and from the radiator..

another option to cure the heat underneath the hood is to creat air channels UNDER the car via diffuser. also by creating a lower pressure zone under the car, it acts like a vacuum, drawing air away from the radiator and accelerating it to the back, while sucking the air down.. even at low speeds, air is still moving and works. but it would work more so at higher speeds with higher air velocities.....

cosmetically: yes, for some people.... functionality: yes.

you can only disrupt the airflow over the hood if you have objects protruding over the stagnation point on the surface of the hood (i.e. a few inches over the curve).. then yes. that might jack up the air flow toward the windsheild....

...a street Z with a basically stock engine doesnt need and is unlikely to benefit in any practical or meaningful way from this sort of mod. A full blown race motor on the track? Sure. But basically stock cars on the street? I put over 100,000 miles on two different 300Z twin turbos and they had a lot more heat generating stuff under the hood than the 350. Not having a vented hood didnt limit the practical life or usability of those cars.

My point is that in the useful life of this car and given the typical users needs this mod is only cosmetic. Will the engine bay be cooler? Yes, but so what? We don't have that much heat to get rid of (barring major engine mods). Don't get me wrong. If people want to do this because they think it looks cool - go for it. But arguing it's a performance enhancer for the street is a bit much...never mind the fact that there is no room under the hood given the strut bar, plenum cover and radiator housing to do what's pictured on the NSX or Mr. 2 pictured above.....

joe
Old 06-30-2003, 01:19 PM
wren57
Banned

thats like arguing we dont need 287hp for the street, but just for the track... well yeah, but seeing as I track my car I want all the HP and cooling I can get, and don't plan on switching hoods out every time I go... the engine DOES have a lot of heat to get rid of... go drive hard for 5 minutes and lift the hood and stick your head under there, feel hot? heat robs power, getting heat out adds power, simple as that...
Old 06-30-2003, 01:25 PM
JZC

Hell, I'd buy it.

Looks nice as h311.

Quick Reply: Willing to pay $1000 if anyone sells or can make this!!