Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your view on paddle shift???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
NickRaine78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
Plz enlighten me as to why it is a pain to track?
It has a required saftey inspection after everytime you track it or you void the warranty from what I've heard.

Why is everyone getting all pissed about in dis fread
Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by cc1012
theres a black box in it so if you change the ECU they know and if you wanna go over 115 you have to enter circuit mode which then void your warranty.
Quit while you're ahead . . . you're just showing how much a newb you are!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
NickRaine78

Originally Posted by z-u-later
^+1 Exactly! These idiots obviously have not seen how F1 drivers shift . . .
My point was the cost of tracking a GTR. Having a bad day are we?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
NickRaine78

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...s_japanese_gtr

Read pages 1&2
Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
The Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Master Shake
Paddle shifting is pretty much the same thing as the auto-stick that has been around for at lest five years now, and the next step after the ability to downshift an AT by slamming the gas pedal down. Kind of gives the AT guys the feeling of a little more control, I guess. A good question/study would be to find out how many people with paddle shifters/auto-sticks actually use them after the first few weeks or so.

But I don't think they will ever completely get rid of manual transmissions. It might move more into a specialized/enthusiast role, but I think at least some demand will keep it available for quite a while.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I use mine anytime I want to redline, corner, etc. If you let the AT shift it self, it will never hit the redline. It always shifts early or upshifts when you stop giving gas in the higher RPMS. That's why I like the manual modes for corners / turns. It's much easier to accelerate out of the turn w/o having to wait for the shift to get the power. My $.02.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:12 PM
06dieselZ

Originally Posted by NickRaine78
read the title of what you just linked me to douche
Japanese Market GTR's
Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Doba

I have a view on paddle shifting.. and that is that 99% of the time people just leave it in D and dont even use them
Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
cc1012

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
thats only in JP noob
First of all you have a 100 posts so your still a noob as well. And second it hasnt been confirmed yet whether or not the car will have the limiter or not. It will def have the black box. But i wouldnt put it past nissan putting the limiter on being that none of the past skylines have made it here.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 PM
cc1012

soo back to topic..........
Old 04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
06dieselZ

First of all you have a 100 posts so your still a noob as well. And second it hasnt been confirmed yet whether or not the car will have the limiter or not. It will def have the black box. But i wouldnt put it past nissan putting the limiter on being that none of the past skylines have made it here.
i wasnt referring to you dude
but yeah nissan is not gonna dumb enough to put the limiter on U.S gtrs
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
gregom

So I have an AT Z so that means I can't reply? No offence dude, but EFF that! I've driven manuals for years, and my last car was an 06 Tiburon that I had for 2 years and was a 6 speed manual. The only reason I have an auto Z is because I couldnt find a manual roadster in the year I looked for one.

Now, as for my opinion of paddle shift... compared to a manual, I agree it sucks. I'd take a proper manual with a clutch any day over paddle shift. I don't think it will completely phase out manual, ever. There may be a majority of cars that are primarily paddleshift, and some cars that wont offer a proper manual, but I think there will always be some cars with proper manual available.

If you have no choice in the matter, and its paddle shift vs. the auto stick... i'd take the paddles for sure. It's better for me because you dont have to take your hands off the wheel and it just seems much more responsive. I dont know about you guys but i've played a lot of racing games on my computer with a Logitech wheel and i'm used to the paddle shift, and frankly I like it. But if I had the option, i'd still take a proper manual over it.

BTW the usefulness of teh paddleshift is entirely based on the transmission AND the computer and how it handles it. If anyone has ever driven a VW Golf GTI with the DSG gearbox, when in manual mode the damn thing still shifts for you if you go full throttle in a gear too high for max acceleration, and it will upshift for you at redline. The Z, doesnt shift unless its absolutely necessary and I LOVE it for that. Auto may suck the fun out of it, but at least you get more control than in other auto-manual boxes.

Last edited by gregom; 04-09-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
ajk23az

theres also a black box in the car that if you tune it or change anything in the ECU so when it goes in to service theyll know you played with it. And theres a speed limiter of 115. do some research

You serious????? wow.......
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
cc1012

Originally Posted by gregom
So I have an AT Z so that means I can't reply? No offence dude, but EFF that! I've driven manuals for years, and my last car was an 06 Tiburon that I had for 2 years and was a 6 speed manual. The only reason I have an auto Z is because I couldnt find a manual roadster in the year I looked for one.

Now, as for my opinion of paddle shift... compared to a manual, I agree it sucks. I'd take a proper manual with a clutch any day over paddle shift. I don't think it will completely phase out manual, ever. There may be a majority of cars that are primarily paddleshift, and some cars that wont offer a proper manual, but I think there will always be some cars with proper manual available.

If you have no choice in the matter, and its paddle shift vs. the auto stick... i'd take the paddles for sure. It's better for me because you dont have to take your hands off the wheel and it just seems much more responsive. I dont know about you guys but i've played a lot of racing games on my computer with a Logitech wheel and i'm used to the paddle shift, and frankly I like it. But if I had the option, i'd still take a proper manual over it.

BTW the usefulness of teh paddleshift is entirely based on the transmission AND the computer and how it handles it. If anyone has ever driven a VW Golf GTI with the DSG gearbox, when in manual mode the damn thing still shifts for you if you go full throttle in a gear too high for max acceleration, and it will upshift for you at redline. The Z, doesnt shift unless its absolutely necessary and I LOVE it for that. Auto may suck the fun out of it, but at least you get more control than in other auto-manual boxes.
sorry dude didnt mean to offend you I should have said only if youve driven manual in the past as a DD or weekend warrior. Ive went for a ride in the vw and e46 m3 and i thought both those paddle shifts were garbage
Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
will350z

I can see this turning into another AT vs. MT thread, please close it...
Old 04-09-2008, 02:05 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by NickRaine78
Do I need to smack on the side of your head so you'll understand what the article was about? Your reading comprehension really sucks . . .
Old 04-09-2008, 02:05 PM
cc1012

not really this is more of a REAL paddle shift vs. Traditional Manual thread. whether or not you can see traditional manual dying out.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
JSDZ33

Originally Posted by z-u-later
^+1 Exactly! These idiots obviously have not seen how F1 drivers shift . . .
LOL!!! "but dooood, thats how the F1 Pro racer drivers Doooo iiiit" give me a break man. you are not going to drive the GTR (that you will never own) like an F1 car. paddle shifters are nice if you are going to track the car to get the fastest times and such, but for daily driving i think this thread is more about peoples opinion on paddle shifters, more in a daily driving situation, not in an F1 situation hahaha. that being said, paddle shifting for daily driving is boring, and that's of course my opinion. give me a 6 speed any day.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by will350z
I can see this turning into another AT vs. MT thread, please close it...
LOL. As soon as anything mentions manual transmission a dozen automatic drivers will post

I love my automatic.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
davidv

not really this is more of a REAL paddle shift vs. Traditional Manual thread. whether or not you can see traditional manual dying out.
Call it what you will but one has a clutch pedal and one does not.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
davidv

Question

Originally Posted by Doba
I have a view on paddle shifting.. and that is that 99% of the time people just leave it in D and dont even use them
That's not my understanding of paddle shift. There is no “drive” correct?

Quick Reply: Your view on paddle shift???