Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your view on paddle shift???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
CELTIC Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cc1012
As we start to see more an more cars start to come out with a paddle shift option, whats your view on it vs. a standard manual?? Do you like it or dislike it? And do you think that it will start to phase your traditional manual? (please only people who drive manual all the time, NO AT guys opinions sorry)

Me personally I think paddle shift is the gayest thing since FWD. The few cars i have driven and ridden in it with I thought were terrible. I feel out of touch with car, and it makes the car feel boring to drive. Sure it shifts faster and might make the car faster on the road course but how often is the average driver there. If the traditional manual fades out I will not be a happy driver.
hater....since when did you see a gay person driving a paddle shift.. ..seriously use your brain for something useful, instead of trying bash on something new for us AT's....go play a video game or ask your mom to drive you to the store in your "mt" Z........
Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As we start to see more an more cars start to come out with a paddle shift option, whats your view on it vs. a standard manual?? Do you like it or dislike it? And do you think that it will start to phase your traditional manual? (please only people who drive manual all the time, NO AT guys opinions sorry)

Me personally I think paddle shift is the gayest thing since FWD. The few cars i have driven and ridden in it with I thought were terrible. I feel out of touch with car, and it makes the car feel boring to drive. Sure it shifts faster and might make the car faster on the road course but how often is the average driver there. If the traditional manual fades out I will not be a happy driver.

well, i personally think that people that start threads like this are a waste of forum space. considering you are basing your whole argument on a personal opinion that is very biased. just another AT vs MT thread full of personal opinion and no fact. if you do not like it, do not drive or buy one just do the whole forum a favor and keep your opinions to yourself. thank you very much.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Z04

theres also a black box in the car that if you tune it or change anything in the ECU so when it goes in to service theyll know you played with it. And theres a speed limiter of 115. do some research

obviously you haven't, that is why you keep making these opinionated posts based on speculation and no fact.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JSDZ33
paddle shifting is really boring.
You sound like a spoiled child.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:08 PM
tgscordv6

Unless it's my dedicated race car where every millisecond counts, it's trash.

Driving experience > flipping paddles
Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by davidv
That's not my understanding of paddle shift. There is no “drive” correct?
No most every car i've seen has a auto stick and paddle shifters, you can leave it in drive if you want, or put it in manual and use the auto stick or the paddles to shift.

It might be changing with newer sports cars... but I think there will usually be an auto mode.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

"Flappy paddle gearboxes" are actually quite fun in the beginning, but the fun factor definitely wears off and can't compare with the driving experience of a traditional manual.

F1 style gearboxes are great at the track and other spirited driving, but I much prefer a traditional manual for daily use. There are lots of converts out there though. People who have driven traditional manuals for 20+ years who are now in love with the new gearboxes.

I use to think paddle shifts in automatics was a fad, but I drove an AMG car with paddles not to long ago, and I must admit, I liked it a lot. For many automatic cars though, the paddles are out of place and as mentioned, unneeded as the car will be left in DRIVE most of the time. Another point, is that if there is a huge delay when shifting an automatic gearbox, the paddles are even more unnecessary.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Autos of course have Drive. F1 style trannys have a D setting as well, but only the dual clutch setups can be driven like a normal automatic.

The likes of the DSG/S-tronic in VWs and Audi, DCT in the new M3 and the "DSG" in the GT-R can be driven like any other automatic car.

With single clutch setups, the automatic mode isn't very smooth. Examples are the SMG of BMW, and the transmission in the R8 and Gallardo.

Last edited by Sensi09; 04-09-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
rotaryrocket7

Autos with paddles are significantly different than a true paddle SMG transmission . Here'sa link for those who want to know the difference. I'm not sure if the GTR is in fact an SMG or a true auto. Ferrari's for example are the SMG variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_manual_gearbox
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Jon70ProofZ

i thought it was DSG transmission? yea the paddle shift in most cars are crap, but most of your 100k plus sports cars are great i would personally prefer a manual but if like in the gtr its not an option, i had the chance to drive a Ferrari 360 with the f1 shift and it was great, shifted like a sport bike and not to mention FAST nothing like driving a ferrari or porsche for that matter

Last edited by Jon70ProofZ; 04-09-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

True manual with clutch pedal > paddle shift (auto with ps, or electronically controlled clutch) > regular auto

Id rather have a Ferrari with the standard gated shifter over the F1 system anyday......
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Jon70ProofZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
True manual with clutch pedal > paddle shift (auto with ps, or electronically controlled clutch) > regular auto

Id rather have a Ferrari with the standard gated shifter over the F1 system anyday......
i didn't really put that up there as clearly after i read it again, i agree 100% ive been dreaming of getting a ferrari and that gated shifter since i was 8
Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 AM
NickRaine78

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
read the title of what you just linked me to douche
Japanese Market GTR's

All right...so I hastily didnt read the whole article and got the wrong market/info. Is that any reason to be an a$$hole and call people names. Get a fukcing life. What are u in high school?

Last edited by NickRaine78; 04-10-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:16 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by NickRaine78
All right...so I hastily didnt read the whole article and got the wrong market/info. Is that any reason to be an a$$hole and call people names. Get a fukcing life. What are u in high school?
This would have been your answer to your post above . . .
Originally Posted by NickRaine78
Having a bad day are we?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 AM
NickRaine78

Originally Posted by z-u-later
This would have been your answer to your post above . . .

not at all, I just dont like little punks calling me names for making a mistake. Its one thing to tell someone they are incorrect, another to go around calling them a douche. Thats why I assume he is in high school because of the lack of maturity.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gregom
No most every car i've seen has a auto stick and paddle shifters, you can leave it in drive if you want, or put it in manual and use the auto stick or the paddles to shift.

It might be changing with newer sports cars... but I think there will usually be an auto mode.
I figure that a paddle shift with 6 forward and 1 reverse gear might be cool. But if it has a “drive” option, I hate the idea.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 AM
BlackoutBeds

its like playing a video game, if i wanted a car with paddle shifters id go buy grand turismo
Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd buy a car with a paddle shifter.. if it was a real paddle shifter.. not some manualmatic crap..
Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
Plz enlighten me as to why it is a pain to track?
The JDM versions will void your warranty if you enter a racing track ( they have GPS coordinates embedded in the programming). There are also many limitations to modding the car; it's very mod unfriendly
Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 AM
cc1012

im referring to REAL paddle shift. DSG, SMG, ect....... Buying a ferrari in paddle should be a sin. How could you not wanna feel the best gated 6sp in the world?

Quick Reply: Your view on paddle shift???