Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Bulbs - what size are they?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:04 PM
juhko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Bulbs - what size are they?

Can anyone tell me what size those amber turn signal bulbs are in the headlight? I can't find it in the manual...
I want to put in some silver bulbs to get rid of that egg yolk look....
Old 07-10-2003, 12:53 PM
old_s13

Its a single filament, wedge-bulb. I beleive its 7740, they come in clear, amber, and I am *sure* there are companies selling them in other less functional colors.

- Mike
Old 07-10-2003, 02:54 PM
mgl

i think its 7440.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:36 PM
aproy

damn, i knew that would happen
Old 07-10-2003, 11:47 PM
mgl

Originally posted by mgl
i think its 7440.
i'm 99.9% sure that its 7440 for the front turn signal and a 194 or 168 for the parking light (underneath the headlight bulb)
Old 07-11-2003, 05:19 AM
t32gzz

The turn signal bulb is a 7440, and you can also use a 7443. Cycolite makes an elecroplated amber light, but they are a pain in the *** to get them to work. You need to shave down the plastic base. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2003, 08:15 AM
junglist350Z

Originally posted by t32gzz
The turn signal bulb is a 7440, and you can also use a 7443. Cycolite makes an elecroplated amber light, but they are a pain in the *** to get them to work. You need to shave down the plastic base. Good luck!
my 7440 cycolite bulbs plugged in just fine with no shaving or mods needed to them
Old 07-15-2003, 06:47 AM
juhko

Default What about the rears?

What about the rear turn signals; what size are they?
Can I get silver bulbs for those too?
Old 07-15-2003, 07:02 AM
old_s13

Default Re: What about the rears?

Originally posted by juhko
What about the rear turn signals; what size are they?
Can I get silver bulbs for those too?
Same size and style as front signals (7740 amber)
Old 07-18-2003, 07:23 PM
islandsnow

Default 7440 amber titanium apc bulbs

I finally found a place that has titanium bulbs, they are the cheaper apc brand, but who cares, they have the chrome amber bulbs i was looking for. They were 7.49 each.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/APC504144B
Old 07-18-2003, 11:40 PM
dreamznblu

Can you access the turn signal bulb by removing the fenderwell just like the parking lights?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:12 PM
islandsnow

Default yep

you can replace all your front lights through the fender well plastic, or if you just want to change the top turn signal i've heard you can get out from the top, small fingers help too.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:26 AM
old_s13

Specs as quoted off of that web site:

Are you ready for the ultimate in bulb technology? APC's new Titan series bulbs have a coating of bright titanium for a great chrome effect in clear and crystal style lenses. When lit, they give off a standard red or amber light, so you don't have to worry about getting pulled over for illegal lights (check local laws before using, however). These high-quality bulbs last longer than normal "painted" bulbs and are available in many standard mounting bases. Easy installation using your vehicle's existing wiring. Sold individually. For best lighting performance, replace bulbs in matched pairs.
Specifications:

Bulb Type: Incandescent Single Filament
Mounting Type: 7440 Wedge
Bulb Color / Light Color: Bright Silver / Amber
Typical Applications: Turn Signal, Stop, Tail, Parking, Side Marker, Backup
Note: Although these bulbs are not DOT / SAE approved, they are designed to produce a bright red or amber light and to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Depending on location and color, these bulbs may be for show car of off-road use only. Check local laws before using.
Warranty: 2 years

-------------------------

I love how they say they are the "ultimate" in bulb technology, yet these bulbs arent any brighter than your average incandescent. The only benefit these bulbs offer is solely aesthetical, that is if you dont like seeing color from your bulbs when they are off.

I also like how they say these bulbs comply with the FMVSS yet, they "may" not be street legal. So basically, buy at your own risk.

$8 dollars for a coated bulb huh....
Old 07-22-2003, 11:16 PM
juhko

Default I'd pay MORE than $8 for a coated bulb!

Come on now, you drive a 350Z and you won't spend $16 to make it even sleeker? I'd pay $30 if they wanted that much.
I don't understand why someone would want to "go ghetto" and put high-temperature spray paint on their bulbs - especially in the 350Z. It looks so ghetto and is so visible in the Z light cluster that it looks horrible.

Don't go cheap when it comes to style,
juhko
Old 07-23-2003, 08:20 AM
old_s13

Default Re: I'd pay MORE than $8 for a coated bulb!

Originally posted by juhko
Come on now, you drive a 350Z and you won't spend $16 to make it even sleeker? I'd pay $30 if they wanted that much.
I don't understand why someone would want to "go ghetto" and put high-temperature spray paint on their bulbs - especially in the 350Z. It looks so ghetto and is so visible in the Z light cluster that it looks horrible.

Don't go cheap when it comes to style,
juhko
Ignorance sure is bliss. Now I know why APC is successful and in business. They must very much value customers like you who appreciate low-grade lighting.

It amazes me how some people would complain about the prices of high-end LED products, and then others would actually straight-out say that they would pay MORE for an APC incandescent bulb. It's NO WONDER they are making a killing in the industry, there are customers like you who simply dont know the differences in quality.

I guess this is what happens when NISSAN makes an "affordable" sports-car, the forums are just going to get over-saturated with topics like this.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:25 AM
junglist350Z

old_s13: for an incandescent bulb who really cares who is the maker? i mean as long as it serves its purpose its fine by me. I always buy the cheap turn signal bulbs at wal-mart for my cars and they work just fine. so buying APC chrome amber bulbs works all in the same. None of the chrome amber bulbs are DOT approved or necc. street legal in this country which is why you cant find them everywhere...but they look good in the stock headlight housing. Not everyone can afford your Richy-Rich $800 headlight conversion. Nissan is offering a $30k sport coupe...its not like its a bentley here...i dont see why you are acting so disguested over these bulbs. I mean yeah, everyone has a right to be disgusted when someone puts in some hyper blue bulbs in their turn signals, but he's looking for the chrome amber ones it seems, nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:33 AM
old_s13

junglist> Everyone has a choice of what they want to put on their car. I have no problem with people keeping the OEM bulb setup or try to enhance that with custom bulbs. I dont expect everyone to be able to afford our "richy-rich" products. What I expect from people, as auto-enthusiasts, is to research the differences between quality and THEN speak their mind.

The reason this post spiked my interest is not because the owner of that particular Z was going to put "wal-mart" brand lights in his car. In most cases that I've come across, these not-so-popular bulbs being sold at wal-mart are actually somewhat fair quality because they have been tested and are sold to meet DOT-specifications. PLUS, their price is very much acceptable for what they are selling you: an incandescent automotive bulb.

I am not against normal lighting, I feel halogen and incandescent technology is still very cost-effective and useable in the world we live in. Its the fact that people are willing to spend money on over-priced rubbish sold by companies that dont care about the quality of their products OR the safety of their customers.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa2103.htm
Old 07-23-2003, 08:40 AM
junglist350Z

trust me, i have a deep loathing passion for APC, but this product by them is seemingly the first one that ive heard of/seen that doesnt irk me. I'm happy with my cycolite chrome amber bulbs anyway
Old 07-23-2003, 04:20 PM
dreamznblu

I didn't know that cycolite made a titanium bulb that is the right size for our signals. I've been waiting for that to happen, where did you find it? I agree it's not a bentley, but it turns heads and why throw cheap crap in it. A light is a light, but buying APC products is like selling your soul to the devil
Old 07-23-2003, 08:28 PM
mgl

for those against APC bulbs.....
i found some chome lookin' bulbs that light up amber that are made by RAYBRIG. raybrig is made in japan and are of very good quality. the downside is that they are $50/pair.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Bulbs - what size are they?