Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What K are your HID's

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM
DUBZRO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fo350z
6K is yellowish / yellowish white. 10k is what most would consider white, and 12k you start getting a bluish hue.
Wrong Wrong Wrong
Old 05-24-2008, 12:33 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6K is yellowish / yellowish white. 10k is what most would consider white, and 12k you start getting a bluish hue.
are you serious or is that sarcasm?
Old 05-24-2008, 12:35 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M6SXTZ
ok you are a retard... the reason i noted to the shades is BECAUSE having the 20k's in the high beam is sending the lights directly into the rear view of those in front of me you fuxing tard hahahaha... dude please think before you type idiot

i guess i will take a sec to elaborate
having a HID completely exposed without a lens or filter to cut the brightness of the light IN a high beam position is going to lift the light higher then your normal driving lights essentially lifting the beam higher off the road that is directly in front of you and further down into the distance BECAUSE of how the projected angle of the lower reflectors are positioned.

i know the difference in K and how it all works. i have 3 salt water aquariums. 2 of the tanks have 20k (MH) metal highlights in them and the 3rd tank has 10k MH in it... the 10 k is WAY brighter then the 20k. BUT the 20k project deeper through the water giving the tanks a deep blue ocean look

i'm almost willing to be ALOT of money that even with your highbeams on, i could look straight into your headlights and barely squint. with a 20k bulb, the light color is so distorted and dark that it'd basically just be like looking at a blue/purple light bulb.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 PM
osinrider04

hey guys I'm having a friend get me an HID kit for my '05 enthusiast for my high beams. What I want to know is if I can have my stock halogen high beams converted to HIDs but can be used with a switch to run as another set of low beam headlights. Right now my car has the low beams with the stock HIDs, but I'm gunna be running like 8000k on the new high beam HIDs and I'd like to have it controlled with a switch so that I can use the new HIDs and not have the low beams at the same time. Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not true. Well, the 10k's being brighter is, but the '20k project deeper through the water' is not. In fact, water itself is transparent. However blue wavelengths are shorter and thus scatter easier off the water molecules; this gives the appearance of the water being blue, particularly over longer distances. This is why in saltwater aquariums lower rated kelvin bulbs such as the 10k you mentioned have higher PAR ratings; the light penetrates farther. Having 20k bulbs is purely a matter of preference; corals tend to grow better with the lower K bulbs, but the blue spectrum (particularly around 450 nm) make the corals "pop" or "glow"... but you should already know that, right?
very true... brings better color out of the corals but does not promote faster growth. but nevertheless all reef looks better under 20k's
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by osinrider04
hey guys I'm having a friend get me an HID kit for my '05 enthusiast for my high beams. What I want to know is if I can have my stock halogen high beams converted to HIDs but can be used with a switch to run as another set of low beam headlights. Right now my car has the low beams with the stock HIDs, but I'm gunna be running like 8000k on the new high beam HIDs and I'd like to have it controlled with a switch so that I can use the new HIDs and not have the low beams at the same time. Any suggestions?
I suggest you step away from the car and stop modding it now, why would you want to run your high beams seperately at all? So you can be that douchebag that blinds all the other cars on the road?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 AM
osinrider04

redlude shut the fuq up. You didn't even read the ***!ng descriptiong if you are trying to call me a douchebag. I said I want to have them ran as a second set of LOW beams...as in not high beams? Get it? High...low...I'm not trying to have high beams WHATSOEVER because the point is not to blind people idiot.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Allen331

redlude shut the fuq up. You didn't even read the ***!ng descriptiong if you are trying to call me a douchebag. I said I want to have them ran as a second set of LOW beams...as in not high beams? Get it? High...low...I'm not trying to have high beams WHATSOEVER because the point is not to blind people idiot.
Lol relax, meaning can be easily misinterpreted on the internet. I had to re-read twice to really know what you were talking about. Chill

As far as the person sayin 6000k is yellowish/white...no. 6000k is more white/blue than anything else. I think they give off the best looking color. Not too blue that it would get you hassled by cops, and not too yellow. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
osinrider04

Ha all I'm saying is don't call me a doucebag...but do you have any input for the idea?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:55 AM
redlude97

How is it not going to blind people if you install HID's in ANY set of halogen reflectors? YOU don't seem to be able to read, because obviously YOU don't understand how installing them in your high beam location is going to cause major glare issues not matter what you do to them.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Al Kapwned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some background first - "HID light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The color temperature of daylight is approximately 4200 K compared to 3200 K for halogens. The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb.

Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the color temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a color temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 7000k, 7500k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual color output of their lights as opposed to the actual useable light output they produce."

^ (paraphrased from tbyrnmotorsports)

Approximate
Light Source K Temp Lumens (output)

Halogen bulb 3200k 1500-2000
Sunlight 5000-5500k
D2S bulb 4100k 3500
D2S bulb 6000k 2800
8000k HID 2500
10000k HID Bulb 2200
12000k HID Bulb 2100

^ (D2S bulbs above rated off of a Phillips and Phillips Ultinon bulb, respectively)

I would like to reiterate as I have said a few times before in forum, that every HID system with projectors (not reflectors) will have a color shift in appearance (visible as you approach an oncoming vehicle or as seen by illuminating your headlights on a white wall) there is that line of blue/purple (and other colors, however minimal) that is generated as the light source bends around the cutoff in your projector headlamp. Now, the whiter the light, the more definition of a blue/purple cutoff you will have. So, if you have 4300k HIDs installed, that cutoff that you and everyone will see, will have a significant amount of blue/purple and a little gold, (pink perhaps too) at the horizon... very defined and eyecatching.

As you go up the kelvin scale, the less variation in color you will see. If you are in blue territory, you will maybe see a dark blue cutoff, but nothing else. Purple HIDs get the same, all purple and no variation.

-Stolen from another forum.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 AM
osinrider04

Dude I just posted the question for someone to see if they had any advice. If you want to be a dick, that's fine, but at least let people who want to entertain the idea speak. The point of the question is to find out HOW to instal aftermarket HIDs in the high beam location and have them act as low beams. I think it would be a lot better to have 4 low beams than 2lows/2highs seeing as how I never use my high beams. Obviously there is a way to make them not high beams but I am not a headlight guru.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
redlude97

Dude I just posted the question for someone to see if they had any advice. If you want to be a dick, that's fine, but at least let people who want to entertain the idea speak. The point of the question is to find out HOW to instal aftermarket HIDs in the high beam location and have them act as low beams. I think it would be a lot better to have 4 low beams than 2lows/2highs seeing as how I never use my high beams. Obviously there is a way to make them not high beams but I am not a headlight guru.
There is no way to do this correctly. Period. I've already answered your question.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 AM
osinrider04

Ok if you know that it is impossible can you explain to me why? I don't really see what the difference is. High beams and low beams will both be running off HIDs, so that's the same. Is the only difference the amount of power being sent through the high beams? Because I'm trying to find out what the true difference is so I can have it altered to be the correct format as a low beam
Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
redlude97

Ok if you know that it is impossible can you explain to me why? I don't really see what the difference is. High beams and low beams will both be running off HIDs, so that's the same. Is the only difference the amount of power being sent through the high beams? Because I'm trying to find out what the true difference is so I can have it altered to be the correct format as a low beam
The high beams have a reflector design that is not made for the output an HID bulb puts out, and on top of that is doesn't have a distinct cutoff or shield that will limit glare, its meant to throw light up and forward from the car, because they are "high" beams. They were never designed to be used as low beams and do not have any sort of cutoff designed into them. Couple that with an ebay HID kit and you'll have major glare not matter what you do with them. This is a major safety hazard for everyone else on the road, and doing so would make you one of those douchebags. I'm not calling you one, I'm saying if you proceeded with your plan then it would make you one. Right now you are just someone who doesn't know any better
Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
osinrider04

ha aight man. Thanks for the info on what you think is possible. However I'm not buying a 50 dollar HID kit off ebay and I'm not installing it myself. I'm having custom fab work done to be able to have just what I am talking about and I wanted to have some info on the lights incase the guy had a question. And just to make sure that you understand what I'm having done since you are the pessimist here, 4 low beam HIDs and 4 angel eye halos. Unfortunately these lights will take a while to get completely fabbed up since they are just a full custom job, but I'll be make sure you are the first to get the pix ;-)
Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 PM
redlude97

ha aight man. Thanks for the info on what you think is possible. However I'm not buying a 50 dollar HID kit off ebay and I'm not installing it myself. I'm having custom fab work done to be able to have just what I am talking about and I wanted to have some info on the lights incase the guy had a question. And just to make sure that you understand what I'm having done since you are the pessimist here, 4 low beam HIDs and 4 angel eye halos. Unfortunately these lights will take a while to get completely fabbed up since they are just a full custom job, but I'll be make sure you are the first to get the pix ;-)
What does this "custom fab work" consist of? Designing/testing/manufacturing a new HID low beam reflector housing? Are you planning on dropping $10k+ into your single set of headlights? If not then whatever your installer "fabs" won't be even close to adequate.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:46 PM
osinrider04

ha yeah 10k would be accurate if I were planning to distribute these. I'm getting work done by a friend who is going to help me create what I need. He has enough knowledge to do what I'm asking. I'm sure he has a way to create a different reflector housing that doesn't consist of remanufacturing anything. The point isn't to create a new light that does not resemble the stock ones. This isn't that insane of a project and I don't know why you are acting as if I'm trying to build a spaceship. I still just wanted to hear if anybody out there had attempted the same sort of idea so that I could see where they got. Ha so thanks for your information because it was of some help, but please leave the thread open to anybody who wants to add some info about the idea.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Bret86944

Originally Posted by xx2ndgenxx
Some background first - "HID light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The color temperature of daylight is approximately 4200 K compared to 3200 K for halogens. The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb.

Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the color temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a color temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 7000k, 7500k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual color output of their lights as opposed to the actual useable light output they produce."

^ (paraphrased from tbyrnmotorsports)

Approximate
Light Source K Temp Lumens (output)

Halogen bulb 3200k 1500-2000
Sunlight 5000-5500k
D2S bulb 4100k 3500
D2S bulb 6000k 2800
8000k HID 2500
10000k HID Bulb 2200
12000k HID Bulb 2100

^ (D2S bulbs above rated off of a Phillips and Phillips Ultinon bulb, respectively)

I would like to reiterate as I have said a few times before in forum, that every HID system with projectors (not reflectors) will have a color shift in appearance (visible as you approach an oncoming vehicle or as seen by illuminating your headlights on a white wall) there is that line of blue/purple (and other colors, however minimal) that is generated as the light source bends around the cutoff in your projector headlamp. Now, the whiter the light, the more definition of a blue/purple cutoff you will have. So, if you have 4300k HIDs installed, that cutoff that you and everyone will see, will have a significant amount of blue/purple and a little gold, (pink perhaps too) at the horizon... very defined and eyecatching.

As you go up the kelvin scale, the less variation in color you will see. If you are in blue territory, you will maybe see a dark blue cutoff, but nothing else. Purple HIDs get the same, all purple and no variation.

-Stolen from another forum.
Whoah whoah whoah, there is no room for facts in this thread. Unless you have a sarcastic comment or clever way of proving yourself, you better get out buddy!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:04 PM
daviditaly

I wonder if I should use HIDs on my R8 headlight project.. the LEDs I'm using are 155k each.

Quick Reply: What K are your HID's