Sponsored by:

Ebay HID assembly melting (fact or fiction) PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 AM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ebay HID assembly melting (fact or fiction) PLEASE HELP

ok i drive a 05 base BUT i have the HID head lights assembly that i changed out myself. my issue is that i have spilt some degreaser on one of my head lights and now the flaw is so unbearable that i need to do something about it.

i will be replacing BOTH head lights because i dont want one looking newer then the next.

i am considering ordering these from ebay BUT.... i dont know if they will melt with my HID's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...spagenameZWDVW

the ebay lights look very much like what i already have in my car so im ASSUMING that they will be HID safe. but the guy i got my lights from told me to make sure that if i go the ebay rout that it might melt them. (keep in mind that this is the same guy trying to sell me the same assembly i already have in my car for $375) then again the ebay add says THESE ARE HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS, NOT HID. i think that they are just describing the bulbs the assembly ALREADY comes with correct? will these ebay assemblies melt? fact or fiction.

will this headlight assembly be safe with HID's? man these look sooooOOoOo much like what i already have im starting to feel retarded the only head lights NOT HID safe would be the projector ones correct? PLEASE HELP

Last edited by M6SXTZ; 05-17-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 PM
jenner1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you just spilled some degreaser onto the lens then why not just get a lens repair kit??? You can take a pair of road sand blasted headlights and have them looking brand new in a few hours. Permatex makes a full kit with sandpaper and everything.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
jenner1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i guess that didn't really answer your question though. In regards to hid lights melting your light housings it doesn't come down to the fact that they are hid bulbs in operation. Most hid systems run at around 35 watts while most halogens are 55 watts thus the halogens glass actually gets hotter than hid's. The problem comes into play with the length of the bulb itself, most hid bulbs are 2 times as long as the equivalent in a halogen bulb and it brings the heat source closer to the lens housing. If you are interested in these lights then your best bet would be to email the seller about them and ask him ( or her ) to measure the distance from the base of the housing to the back of the projector lens. Then take a look at your hid bulbs to see how much clearance your going to have and compare this with what you have already. Hope this helps