Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of Mobile Windshield installers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used SafeLite for 3 different vehicles (including the Z) with stellar results. OP I'm sorry for your experience, that is truly horrible. Fortunately the SafeLite retailer here in St Louis has always done great work on my cars. The Z windshield install went smoothly and perfectly.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 PM
sk26dett

Yea, maybe the guy was a noob, i had my windshield replaced once by a mobile repair company (i dont remember which one) and the guy did it perfect. He either had really good 350z instructions or had done some Z's in the past because he did everything like clockwork. It also helped that i watched him the entire time.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM
black06z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that's pretty bad. If I ever need a windshield replacement, it definitely won't be from a mobile service company.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
All he could say is "Wow, how unfortunate." Then he proceeded to tell me that my "warranty" will be invalid if I did not give HIS company a chance to fix the damage.

He claims to tell me that he could get the parts cheaper than my Autobody shop and that I should LET HIM take the car and just get it fixed without insurance involved.
This is where I would have punched him in the face.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 PM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had someone take the time out to check out my car and make a sarcastic comment about the situation, I'd pull the feet in the air, *** on the floor move (KO)!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 AM
cbr900son

They did my car for 250$ after tax. 2 guys came and finished in about half hour and no problems.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brigz
damn they did do pretty bad on your car. I had my windshield replaced by them and they did a good job actually. I bet u had a rookie work your windshield.
He said he had 20 years experience.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:20 AM
BornSlippyZ

Originally Posted by moforeynolds
I've used SafeLite for 3 different vehicles (including the Z) with stellar results. OP I'm sorry for your experience, that is truly horrible. Fortunately the SafeLite retailer here in St Louis has always done great work on my cars. The Z windshield install went smoothly and perfectly.
Yep I thought that too, since AAA recommended them to replace the windshield, I thought I was in good hands. I have had bad luck with cars, ever since I move to Sacramento.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 AM
michaeljr6

safelite did work on my z and lexus......great job while i overlooked them doing it. they knew how to handle the z properly as well. it all depends on the installer.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Z04

sorry you had a bad experience. the guy that did mine took extra care with my Z and had his assistant (a rather hot chick in short shorts) clean the windows and inside when done. my only regret was not having the camera to share in her hotness (especially bent over the Z's hood to do the front window). was almost worth a tip just for that alone
Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
user 83778
Banned

I had safelite do mine. I think their training for installers is not very thorough, so the crappy lazy kid still gets to screw up installs and so does the guy who loves cars but didn't want to be a mechanic.

I watched my tech, he was very careful of my paint and interior, sloppy on the seal, but re-did it after I asked. They are a big company, you should expect some bad apples from them.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had Safelite do my Z last year and they did a flawless job. The guy came out to the house and I watched him the whole time. I actually quizzed him a little before he got started just to see how qualified he was. He told me he had done several 350's (and it was obvious once he got started) and that they (Safelite) would not have sent him or anybody else without prior experience. If it would have been a "first time" for a vehicle, they would have insisted that I bring it into the shop where they have access to manuals and other resources.

The guy turned out to be a real "car guy" so he easily understood my apprehension over having a stranger tear into my car.

Keep in mind that Safelite is a franchised operation, with local owner, manager, etc. Like any other business of this type, you don't always know what you're getting and obviously there will be a small percentage of bad apples. But complaints to Safelite corporate hqtrs will get their attention to a local problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
BornSlippyZ

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I had Safelite do my Z last year and they did a flawless job. The guy came out to the house and I watched him the whole time. I actually quizzed him a little before he got started just to see how qualified he was. He told me he had done several 350's (and it was obvious once he got started) and that they (Safelite) would not have sent him or anybody else without prior experience. If it would have been a "first time" for a vehicle, they would have insisted that I bring it into the shop where they have access to manuals and other resources.

The guy turned out to be a real "car guy" so he easily understood my apprehension over having a stranger tear into my car.

Keep in mind that Safelite is a franchised operation, with local owner, manager, etc. Like any other business of this type, you don't always know what you're getting and obviously there will be a small percentage of bad apples. But complaints to Safelite corporate hqtrs will get their attention to a local problem.
I realize that alot of people had a good experience with Safelite, My rant just comes from alot of problems I have had with my cars when I moved to Sacramento 4 years ago. I know it is a stretch to maybe blame my location but damn, Safelite was just the final straw that broke the camel's back.
On a positive note BodyCraft (who is my Bodyshop) is taking care of me and my Z, I am relieved that this will be fixed now.