Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would like to lighten up the Z but still keep street friendly

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
LSX-PWR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would like to lighten up the Z but still keep street friendly

Hey guys I am new to the board and I guess this make me a cherry all over again. I am new to the 350Z and I've only have owned Corvettes, Camaros and TA's. I have made the transition over here and I have to say I am glad to be here. Here's the thing I don't know much about this car and I was wondering if you all could help me out. I have an 05 blk/blk 6 speed that I would like to lighten up as much as I can but still keep it street friendly. I have done some searching here and I've seen that there are lots of parts that are made out of Carbon fiber. What's the best way to approach this? Here's are some of the parts that I would like to replace and if there's any other ones you all can think of please let me know. Thanks.
-Hood- Carbon fiber
-Fenders-Carbon fiber
-Lighter carpet if needed?
-Lighter wheels+ If there are Carbon fiber wheels let me know.
-Seats
-Rear hatch-Carbon fiber
Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
chazor

some cf are only covers
you could try to buy that demo cf wheels for $10000+
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
LSX-PWR

Covers? See that's what I was I afraid off.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Willie

Here are some ideas...
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ed-your-z.html
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit: ^^ thats a great thread. Read that thoroughly.

There is only 10-15lbs (at BEST) to be lost by getting a CF hood, and that is with very expensive hoods. I'd recommend Mastergrade as they aren't too costly and are still light, you will barely lose any (if any) with a Seibon. I believe the stock hood is 23 lbs.

Theres no real loss to be had with CF fenders, more for looks than anything. We're talking about a few pounds here.

Lighter carpet? That's new to me, I wouldn't personally bother if that even exists.

You can lose some weight with seats, really just depends on your selection as there is a large variety of seats available, some are approved for competition, some not, many different styles to fit different budgets and sizes, etc. Depends on what you need and/or want but you can lose probably 20-30+ lbs doing seats I'd imagine.

If anything of your list, I would recommend a CF rear hatch (Mastergrade) with a Lexan window, I believe you can save 50-70+ lbs by going this route. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Just remember that the bumpers, skirts, hood and fenders are all lightweight plastics or aluminum to begin with, so changing them out for CF won't do all that much. The Z is, sad to say, a hard car to put on a diet for a 2 seater car that weighs 3200+ lbs.

You could also look into a lightweight battery, though on a street car those things can be annoying as they don't hold a charge for crap if your car sits for days at a time you have to unhook it and/or put it on a charger.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

seats and hatch are the most significant. switching anything from aluminum to carbon fiber doesnt net you much.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the seats and hatch.. hatch weight savings is around 50lbs. and seats if u go to fiberglass non adjustable seats.. probably around 30+ there.. also think about getting lighter wheels/tires,
ditching plastic coverings inside engine bay and trunk liner.

also lay off the big macs and go light on the salad dressing.. nothing funnier than a stripped out interior but a fatass behind the wheel.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
shakuya88

best diet for your car is a diet for you. That hatch with lexan desn't sound too bad either.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Kornflake7

The fenders are about half the weight of the originals I'd say at least 20 lbs saving with both sides and they look sweet with the vents
Old 09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
35OcraZy

Originally Posted by Chebosto
+1 on the seats and hatch.. seats if u go to fiberglass non adjustable seats.. probably around 30+ there..
Didn't know seats would save that much weight. Anybody got some suggestion on some good but not too expensive seat options?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Concave
Banned

Originally Posted by Chebosto
nothing funnier than a stripped out interior but a fatass behind the wheel.

haha. i get more confused when i see this than when i forget to study for a test.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
Edit: ^^ thats a great thread. Read that thoroughly.

There is only 10-15lbs (at BEST) to be lost by getting a CF hood, and that is with very expensive hoods. I'd recommend Mastergrade as they aren't too costly and are still light, you will barely lose any (if any) with a Seibon. I believe the stock hood is 23 lbs.

Theres no real loss to be had with CF fenders, more for looks than anything. We're talking about a few pounds here.

Lighter carpet? That's new to me, I wouldn't personally bother if that even exists.

You can lose some weight with seats, really just depends on your selection as there is a large variety of seats available, some are approved for competition, some not, many different styles to fit different budgets and sizes, etc. Depends on what you need and/or want but you can lose probably 20-30+ lbs doing seats I'd imagine.

If anything of your list, I would recommend a CF rear hatch (Mastergrade) with a Lexan window, I believe you can save 50-70+ lbs by going this route. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Just remember that the bumpers, skirts, hood and fenders are all lightweight plastics or aluminum to begin with, so changing them out for CF won't do all that much. The Z is, sad to say, a hard car to put on a diet for a 2 seater car that weighs 3200+ lbs.

You could also look into a lightweight battery, though on a street car those things can be annoying as they don't hold a charge for crap if your car sits for days at a time you have to unhook it and/or put it on a charger.
+1
Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
LSX-PWR

Thanks guys for the info. I'll be ditching the engine & transmission and replacing them with a 427 LS7 all aluminum engine and a T56 transmission. I believe some one here has already done this. I know he used a LS2 but never the less did the conversion. I can tell you all a little more about the engine if you all want me to.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Z04

south beach diet or weight watchers. works every time
Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Germanguy

Originally Posted by shakuya88
That hatch with lexan desn't sound too bad either.

I got a question. isnt that lexan build of plastic? Doesnt that make some noise by driving? Or does it look and be like heavy glas from stock Zs?
Alex.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 AM
GenPac

Originally Posted by Germanguy
I got a question. isnt that lexan build of plastic? Doesnt that make some noise by driving? Or does it look and be like heavy glas from stock Zs?
Alex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

Originally Posted by wiki
highly durable polycarbonate resin thermoplastic intended to replace glass where the need for strength justifies its higher cost
Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 AM
gothchick

You could also drain the windshield reservoir, run 1/4 tank of gas, take the electric motors out of the doors (or get CF doors), take the passenger seat out, take the stereo stuff out, take the AC out, take the rear wiper assembly out. Gut the interior... Still streetable? Maybe not so much...

Last edited by gothchick; 09-11-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
35oZephyR

Battery
Seats
CF Hatch
Exhaust
carpet/ spare tools/ windshield fluid deleted
Forged mono-block wheels

Easiest weight savings without stripping or looking like you're trying to save weight at all.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 PM
oneflyasianguy

Originally Posted by LSX-PWR
Thanks guys for the info. I'll be ditching the engine & transmission and replacing them with a 427 LS7 all aluminum engine and a T56 transmission. I believe some one here has already done this. I know he used a LS2 but never the less did the conversion. I can tell you all a little more about the engine if you all want me to.
i wouldnt bother shaving weight than.

that engine makes alot of torque, you will probably have traction problems.

Quick Reply: Would like to lighten up the Z but still keep street friendly