Sponsored by:

Advice -- Bad paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:54 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice -- Bad paint job?

Finally got my Z back from the bodyshop after a week of living without it. I had been rear ended few months ago and finally had the guy's insurance adjuster look at it and give me the paperwork I need to get it fixed.

Now, I just went and picked up the car and it looked great in the lot. What made me nervous was the fact that the guy kept telling me how he went the extra mile to put on some extra clearcoat and how there's no orange peel on the bumper compared to the rest of the car. It looked perfect, other than the fact that bumper looked so much more mirrored than the rest of the car, but I don't have much of a problem with that.

What I should have done is pull it out into direct sunlight. Soon after leaving, I noticed that the bumper doesn't have nearly the same amount of those sparkling flakes as the rest of the car. Paint match is perfect, but it's missing more than half the glitter.

I want to take the car back to him, but just want to get an idea of how to handle this as im sure some of you have experienced this before. What if he says theres nothing he can do? Should I report it to the insurance co that's paying for it or should I get aggressive with the body shop.

How long should it take them to fix this problem? I'm assuming it'll require them to re-mix and repaint it (and they'll lose money on it) so they may take their time.

I'll take a pic and post it up.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:52 PM
SFZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you bring to a shop that the insurance company recommended or the shop of your choice? i had a crappy paint job done on my car. also an insurance claim but the thing is that i brought the car to a shop i know of and not the one the insurance company recommended. when i told insurance that the paint job sucked @$$, they said i was SOL cause i didnt go to the shop they recommended.

if you DID take their recommendation, then it's all on them. if that were the case, i'd call insurance up and say "hey, i brought this to the shop you told me to and their work sucked @$$!" in an insurance claim, the company is liable to bring the car back to factory spec. in your case it was not.

as for length to fix the problem. i've had three paint job done on my past car. first one took a month. i never went back to that shop. second and third ones each took 3days for the WHOLE car. so unless they are backed up, a bumper shouldnt take that long.

good luck.

Last edited by SFZ33; 08-20-2003 at 03:57 PM.