Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel swap. Springs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering wheel swap. Springs??

I ordered a steering wheel off a 2007 350z to replace my beat up, cracking, flaking old one. I've swapped over my cruise control trim piece and have the wiring all tidy and whatnot. However, when I took the steering wheel out of the box, it had two springs in the center. My 2003 steering wheel didn't have any springs or anything inside when I took it off.

This is exactly how they sat in the center.

This is them removed.

Any ideas what they're for? I'll just be leaving them out, as there were none in mine when I removed it. Will this hurt anything?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Spork

Pics of my old steering wheel to show the mayhem...

Old 02-06-2009, 03:24 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Horn mechanism???
That's just a guess, sorry
Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Spork

Pff don't be sorry. Any contributions are helpful. Thanks.

I thought about it being for the horn, but if it was, these would have been in my 03 steering wheel as well, right?

I'm confused... I think I'm just gonna install it without the springs in (I don't even know where they'd go), and if something happens, it happens.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 PM
black04ninjaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed my 04 out with a beautful 06 about 2 weeks ago. I didn't see any springs with either of the steering wheels, so I don't think you'll have much of a problem. My only suggestion, when pulling off the old steering wheel, don't yank it off of the hub like I did. When I took the final nut off, so I could get the steering wheel off, the steering wheel didn't wanna come off without some coercing. Well my dumbass coerced a bit too much, and the spiral wire and the black housing that holds the wire came off and unraveled all over the place. Hopefully you'll read the ********* how-to and understand what I'm saying, and not have to go through that pain in the rear like I did. Good luck, and enjoy that smooth pretty clean steering wheel. I love mine!!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Spork

Yeah, I read the 350 z tech wiki article on how to remove the steering wheel. When I took off the center nut, the steering wheel freely came off. I don't even know where this spiral cable is that gives everyone so much trouble. Could I have f'd it up? or is it behind in the steering column part and I really have nothing to worry about?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM
black04ninjaZ

No, it's there. When you pull the wheel off, there's a black plastic "hub" (for lack of a better word) that the wheel mates with. For example : take the wheel off, there's this black plastic hub thing, it will spin freely around like the steering wheel...well it doesn't need to be spun with the steering wheel off. What I did, was when I pulled the wheel off, the spiral hub came out, and unraveled everywhere. So i spun the flat spiral wire back into the hub...well I spun it too tight and the steering wheel wouldn't allow me to fully turn the wheel all the way to the right, so I had to take the wheel back off and take some of that tension out. If you put everything back together, and don't notice or feel any problems, completely disregard anything I said. Other than the "enjoy that smooth, pretty, clean steering wheel"....Do that part.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Spork

So if nothing fell off, nothing moved, and the steering wheel freely came off, I shouldn't worry about anything?

And yes, I shall enjoy the steering wheel. Gone are the days where I'd step out of the car to find a bunch of black particles on my hand and pants.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 PM
usa_alex

i think the two springs are going under the 2 bolts you have missing in pic 2 they are for the horn mechanism so when you pres the airbag part(horn) these two springs push the airbag back
i hope it helps
Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Spork

Alright, update...

It was for the horn mechanism.

They sorta clip onto the metal bracket inside the steering wheel, so I didn't notice them when I took off my 03 wheel. It's all in there good and the horn works better than before now.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM
oro

Wow man your steering wheel was destroyed O_O, by any chance how much did you pay for your new steering wheel? Mine is bad, but not quite that bad
Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Spork

Yeah my old one was horrible. It'd flake off in my hand and leave specks everywhere.

I paid $41 + $38 shipping from a guy on eBay. Off a 2007, so I was happy.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:00 PM
2Prcnt

Originally Posted by Spork
Alright, update...

It was for the horn mechanism.

They sorta clip onto the metal bracket inside the steering wheel, so I didn't notice them when I took off my 03 wheel. It's all in there good and the horn works better than before now.

Thanks guys.
hey could you specify furthermore where the springs went? I’m having the same issue right now