Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint... post PICS of yours.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 AM
07rdsterGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninor
Thank you guys! The tint place gives lifetime warranty on their tint... but no warranty if they install tint over another tint which makes sense... so I called Nissan dealership where I bought my car (as well as my mom's car) and the sales manager did not want to budge with me about them taking their tint that I never asked for off... I will call the GM on my lunch break to try to get them to strip the tint off for free... I'll let you guys know.

But I think I'll go with 5% and try to get a tint waiver from some doctor (my eye doctor wouldn't do it)
What? Factory tint is damn near impossible to remove (I'm not even sure it can be) and I've personally never heard of a place that doesn't warranty their work over factory tint. Now if you have aftermarket tint on the car from a previous owner, then yes, I can see them saying that and I can see the dealership not wanting to fix something that isn't their problem. Let me see if I can find the place that did my 3000gt when I lived in Jacksonville.

Call another eye doctor. Blue eyes are more sensitive to light as well, so if you have blues, pull that card. Tell him you headaches from the sun during prolonged periods of driving, etc...

Here's the kicker though, yeah, you have a waiver, but that isn't going to stop you from getting pulled over at first. And if you like to go throw one back with your buddies once in a while that could spell disaster. Just one beer can put you on or over the limit and that's all they need to take your *** away.

Also, a lot of places won't do tint under the limit. The ones who will won't warranty their work 99% of the time.

I lucked out. The place I got mine done has a little chip in the tint right under the door so they know it's their work and they will do whatever % you want with a lifetime warranty. Also, it was suppose to cost me $240.00....I paid with debit and he missed a zero when typing in the price on the machine. I only paid $24.00 LOL

Last edited by 07rdsterGT; 03-05-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
07rdsterGT

Tint Tunes & Accessories Inc

1521 Cassat Ave
Jacksonville, FL 32205
(904) 388-7585

Its in the westside near riverside

They did my "platinum plus (mirror tint)" on my red 3000gt. They did a great job. They will do what ever % you want, but if it under the legal limit they won't warranty their work. BUT, they use QUALITY metallic tint. Not dyed plastic tint that fades to purple over time.

Last edited by 07rdsterGT; 03-05-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ive got 20% on the sides and 5% in the rear. I honestly think 5% on the sides are waaaay too dark at night, especially if its raining or cloudy. It makes looking at your side view mirrors at night with the windows up very difficult, especially if you're trying to reverse
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
07rdsterGT

^agreed
Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by 07rdsterGT
What? Factory tint is damn near impossible to remove (I'm not even sure it can be) and I've personally never heard of a place that doesn't warranty their work over factory tint. Now if you have aftermarket tint on the car from a previous owner, then yes, I can see them saying that and I can see the dealership not wanting to fix something that isn't their problem. Let me see if I can find the place that did my 3000gt when I lived in Jacksonville.

Call another eye doctor. Blue eyes are more sensitive to light as well, so if you have blues, pull that card. Tell him you headaches from the sun during prolonged periods of driving, etc...

Here's the kicker though, yeah, you have a waiver, but that isn't going to stop you from getting pulled over at first. And if you like to go throw one back with your buddies once in a while that could spell disaster. Just one beer can put you on or over the limit and that's all they need to take your *** away.

Also, a lot of places won't do tint under the limit. The ones who will won't warranty their work 99% of the time.

I lucked out. The place I got mine done has a little chip in the tint right under the door so they know it's their work and they will do whatever % you want with a lifetime warranty. Also, it was suppose to cost me $240.00....I paid with debit and he missed a zero when typing in the price on the machine. I only paid $24.00 LOL
Wow you lucked out on taht one man! lol... thanks for the suggestions too! I actually have greenish/blueish eyes so I'll try to get the waiver at some other doctor. Also, I made an apointment at Advanced Window Tinting or whatever it's called that's off of Hood Rd. and Sunbeam in mandarin area. 2 of my co-workers and I are getting our cars tinted so they are giving us a deal for $160 for sedans and $140 for my Z with 3M film (not sure if it's metallic but I'll ask them).

As far as the tint goes. I do not think it's factory... dealership installs the tint and includes it in one of the dealership "options" for extra $289 and you have no option of not getting it... they simply install tint, wheel locks, and some other useless things on cars to bring the prices up .

Oh and by the way... this place says they give lifetime in-house warranty on illegal tints (but not if they don't strip the film that I already have on for $50)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM
07rdsterGT

3m is a good brand. And getting a group discount is awesome! Get the old tint stripped.

You can probably do it with a large bottle of alcohol and some elbow grease. i removed my old tint from my 3000gt but it was purple and peeling already so that made it a little easier.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM
ninor

3m is a good brand. And getting a group discount is awesome! Get the old tint stripped.

You can probably do it with a large bottle of alcohol and some elbow grease. i removed my old tint from my 3000gt but it was purple and peeling already so that made it a little easier.
I think I'll just pay them to do it... $190 with lifetime warranty is not too bad. Also, I think I'll go with 15% or I might change my mind to 5% in the last minute... lol.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Brrcats

also, dont think of tint as a theft deterrent for your stereo. Most thieves will think that you have something in there based on the presence of the dark tint and will usually bash the window in order to find out what.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by Brrcats
also, dont think of tint as a theft deterrent for your stereo. Most thieves will think that you have something in there based on the presence of the dark tint and will usually bash the window in order to find out what.
True that it won't be a theft deterrent... I guess if thief wants to steal it... he will steal it no matter what... tint or no tint.

Tint will make the car look better and plus it will help a lot in this hot FL sun.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
red_magic2000

Wonder if tx has a tint waiver law? I got 5% on mine FTW..Also I just take the car out on weekends. I could get away with that sun bothering my eyes, just got a prescription with tint, the glare really bothers my eyes..
Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 AM
07rdsterGT

True that it won't be a theft deterrent... I guess if thief wants to steal it... he will steal it no matter what... tint or no tint.

Tint will make the car look better and plus it will help a lot in this hot FL sun.
That's pretty much it. Advertising it as security or hurricane proofing is BS.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:29 AM
ninor

That's pretty much it. Advertising it as security or hurricane proofing is BS.
Hurricane proofing?

I never heard of that one but it's hilarious.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 AM
tribal_visionz

20% is enough, they claim they can see at night with 5% its simple BS. I have to put my windows down at night. It's too much to risk for parking and tickets. 20% ftw
Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 AM
UofA350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35% on the sides and windshield, 20% on the back.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:00 AM
07rdsterGT

Hurricane proofing?

I never heard of that one but it's hilarious.
REALLY? FL is the only place I've seen it advertised as that
Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
I'm just not sure what you're after, 5% or 15% tint will look the same on any car, it's not like its Z specific or anything. I mean, once you've seen say 5% tint, you know how dark it is and thats how dark it will be on a 350z. Given visibility on the Z isn't great to begin with, I'm sure it won't be any better at night after adding 5% tint. You will basically be limited to seeing sources of light out of your windows at night, which I know from first hand 6% experience. If I'd suggest either of your choices, it would be 15% which is closer to the legal limit and less likely to get your in trouble while still blocking most viewing in from the outside. Always roll down both of your front windows if you get pulled over for any reason.

Also, I wouldn't assume that because you didn't get bothered in a Acura TL that you will not be harassed in another car. I've been in plenty of cars that I could go 20 over the speed limit practically everywhere and not get pulled over (2000 Accord), but would get pulled over all the time in my old modified '91 CRX while doing the speed limit minding my own business in the same areas (mind you that was 8 years ago). Cops are not supposed to profile, but they do and consider it their job from what I've seen.
I thought about this and just wanted to make an amendment to this...I feel many cops do this, but certainly not all. There are good, reasonable cops out there.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
ninor

I just dropped my car off to get 15% on top of my 30-35% that I currently have. Oh it's going to be so dark in there! lol...

However, I am thinking of calling the tint place to tell them to put 20% or lighter on the hatch window, what do you guys think?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
07rdsterGT

I think you should have had the old film removed. How do you drive a 08 and have an issue with dropping another 50 bucks to have it done right and tastefully?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM
ninor

I think you should have had the old film removed. How do you drive a 08 and have an issue with dropping another 50 bucks to have it done right and tastefully?
I verified with the place and I won't get warranty either way, double layer or not and after talking with the installer he said there is really no issues with having 2 layers. He has 2 layers on his car and he had no problems with it. Therefore, why would I pay extra $50 if I don't have to? I don't think it's any more tasteful or done right if I get 1 layer instead of 2.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
BarefootRacer

Looks great man!! Ive been wanting to get my windshield tinted. Prolly will here soon before the summer with 35% tint. I got a buddy that'll do it for $50 bucks.

Quick Reply: Window tint... post PICS of yours.