Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint... post PICS of yours.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
ninor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint... post PICS of yours.

Hey guys... I just installed my stereo this past weekend and now I need to tint my windows so it's not in plain sight. When I bought my car it already had dealer installed legal film which is not dark enough and I am trying to decide if I should go with 5% or 15%. I would love the looks of 5% but I do not want to sacrifice my night time vision... and I am not sure how easily you can see in the car with 15% tint in the Z.

Can you post pics of your tinted windows with % of tint you have and brand of the tint. What is the best brand between 3M, Lumar, and Suntec? Or are they all comparable?

And yes, I did search and could not find any pics from the recent threads... all pics are in the older threads and they are just bunch of red Xs now
Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check your local laws regarding window tint before proceeding:

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

lorida Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN FLORIDA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Florida, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 28% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 15% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN FLORIDA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.

OTHER FLORIDA RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driver’s side doorjamb.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

Given the front window tint in your state is 28% and the back and rear is 15%, I highly doubt you will want to go with 5%. I'm sure you can find places that will do it, but you decide; do you want to take the chance of maybe getting your stereo jacked just because it's in sight for would-be thieves, or do you want to get constantly harassed by cops because you're over 20% darker than the legal limit and get fix it tickets. I personally opt for option 1, but its your choice.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Z04

looks like we will be seeing a thread started by the OP "i got a ticket for illegal tint" sometime in the near future
Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
ninor

Thanks for the input, but I was already well aware of the laws and 5% is illegal in most states anyways. Legality of the tint does not concern me... what concerns me is... that thiefs cannot easily see what i have in my car without me giving up my night time visilbility. However, I would sacrifice night time visibility over not getting my stuff stolen because it was easy for thieves to see.

EDIT: I did not see the part of your your post after the FL laws... all of the places do any % of tint you want illegal or not, but you do have to pay cash if you want illegal tint. Also, I drove around with 15% tint on my 06 Acura TL for over a year and I was next to cops on stop lights quite a few times with windows up and I NEVER got harassed for it. As long as you drive good and don't act like a complete jacka$$ on the roads... cops will not harass you.

By the way, I asked you guys to post pics of vehicles with 5 or 15% tint and not asking if I should go illegal or legal tint, so please stay on topic. Thank you (not trying to give attitude but c'mon guys...)

Last edited by ninor; 03-04-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Z04

honestly, it doesn't matter if you have a $1000+ system or a stock radio, if the thief wants to break in they are going to do it regardless of your tint or not. heck they would probably be more likely to break into yours just to see what you are hiding behind those dark windows.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by Z04
honestly, it doesn't matter if you have a $1000+ system or a stock radio, if the thief wants to break in they are going to do it regardless of your tint or not. heck they would probably be more likely to break into yours just to see what you are hiding behind those dark windows.
Good point, but regardless, I will either get 15% or 5% but I want to see pics of both first and opinions from people that have them on whether they like or dislike the % that they got.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
*ICE*

5% here. Tint waiver FTW!!

see sig.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by *ICE*
5% here. Tint waiver FTW!!

see sig.
That looks sick! But the pic is so small that I can't really decide based on the pic

By the way, how did you get the waiver? What medical "condition" do you have to need a waiver?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Done Deal DR

I'm just not sure what you're after, 5% or 15% tint will look the same on any car, it's not like its Z specific or anything. I mean, once you've seen say 5% tint, you know how dark it is and thats how dark it will be on a 350z. Given visibility on the Z isn't great to begin with, I'm sure it won't be any better at night after adding 5% tint. You will basically be limited to seeing sources of light out of your windows at night, which I know from first hand 6% experience. If I'd suggest either of your choices, it would be 15% which is closer to the legal limit and less likely to get your in trouble while still blocking most viewing in from the outside. Always roll down both of your front windows if you get pulled over for any reason.

Also, I wouldn't assume that because you didn't get bothered in a Acura TL that you will not be harassed in another car. I've been in plenty of cars that I could go 20 over the speed limit practically everywhere and not get pulled over (2000 Accord), but would get pulled over all the time in my old modified '91 CRX while doing the speed limit minding my own business in the same areas (mind you that was 8 years ago). Cops are not supposed to profile, but they do and consider it their job from what I've seen.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
ssawa

Here's a couple pictures of my tint. The sides are the lightest and the back sides and rear are a grade darker. I don't remember the %'s. I think it's perfect. It gives a custom look and saves my interior from UV rays. I think most of the major brands are fine, but I'm no expert on the subject.

I personally wouldn't go to 5 or 15% percent. You can't see at night. You think it's hard backing up now, just wait till you're trying to turn or back up at night in the rain and have to open a window just to see your side mirror cuz you can't see anything through your rear view mirror. Also, why have a nice car if nobody can see you. Just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Window tint... post PICS of yours.-copy-of-joshua-tree-002.jpg   Window tint... post PICS of yours.-08-008.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
ninor

Well said Done Deal DR... My Acural TL had charcoal interior and my Z has black interior so it would be even harder to see in it. I guess I was just trying to see pics to directly compare the two percentages but you are right that the tint looks same on every car with same percentage.

You are also correct about profiling... I got pulled over in my TL with the tint with the windows up in my neighborhood (which is in the somewhat ghetto part of the city) to check my registration and he questioned me where I work... what I do... what am I doing in that neighborhood and where was I.... and he said that was the routine check to make sure the vehicle is not stolen or something... he was pretty much harrassing me but was cool once he made sure the vehicle is mine lol... oh I was 21 at the time too.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by ninor
That looks sick! But the pic is so small that I can't really decide based on the pic

By the way, how did you get the waiver? What medical "condition" do you have to need a waiver?

i think my state is the only state that allow a tint waiver. Basically you print out a doctor form from the DMV's website, take it to an eye doctor and tell them some bs like you get headache when you look at the sun, light head, dizzy, etc.. they will sign off the form. Take the form to DMV. They will give u a new registration form with "tint waiver" writing on it. If cop pulls you over for illegal tint, bust out the registration and shove it to their face

and whoever said 5% are hard to see at night are pantsy All you need is upgrade your reverse light to 10 dome LEDs light and it will be bright as day time. If not, just roll down the window to park

Last edited by *ICE*; 03-04-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

5% all the way. FL cops are pretty laid back with tint it seems, at least with my year of 5%. Just dont drive to draw attention.

I had 20 at one time...you can tell the difference during a sunny day between the 2. I can hardly stand my friends mustang with no tint at all. You wont regret 5%

As for ability to see. You just need to get comfortable driving at night and using the head lights of vehicles to identify where they are. I cant see sh*t when backing up..But putting my windows half way doesnt bother me to see if people are around me.

Last edited by zerafian; 03-04-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Done Deal DR

Well said Done Deal DR... My Acural TL had charcoal interior and my Z has black interior so it would be even harder to see in it. I guess I was just trying to see pics to directly compare the two percentages but you are right that the tint looks same on every car with same percentage.

You are also correct about profiling... I got pulled over in my TL with the tint with the windows up in my neighborhood (which is in the somewhat ghetto part of the city) to check my registration and he questioned me where I work... what I do... what am I doing in that neighborhood and where was I.... and he said that was the routine check to make sure the vehicle is not stolen or something... he was pretty much harassing me but was cool once he made sure the vehicle is mine lol... oh I was 21 at the time too.
Thanks, and I know what you mean about being pulled over just to "check you out". IMO, pull me over if I'm doing something wrong not when I'm obeying all laws. I see people do stuff wrong all the time, never using blinkers, riding my *** within 3 feet, not breaking for stop signs, reckless speeding, and then I get pulled over for literally nothing and it doesn't feel right. On the other hand, I haven't been pulled over for probably 4-5 years now, I'm on a good spree (...but I've also stopped doing a lot of things to my car to bring more attention). It's a catch 22.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:48 AM
can'tZme

I've got 5% all the way around and I love it. Keeps the hot sun out, nobody can see you, but at night you can't see nothing out the sides, nothing! I have gotten pulled over for speeding and the cop mentioned that my tint was too dark, but he didn't give me a ticket for that.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by *ICE*
http://i43.tinypic.com/29dh1s7.jpg

i think my state is the only state that allow a tint waiver. Basically you print out a doctor form from the DMV's website, take it to an eye doctor and tell them some bs like you get headache when you look at the sun, light head, dizzy, etc.. they will sign off the form. Take the form to DMV. They will give u a new registration form with "tint waiver" writing on it. If cop pulls you over for illegal tint, bust out the registration and shove it to their face

and whoever said 5% are hard to see at night are pantsy All you need is upgrade your reverse light to 10 dome LEDs light and it will be bright as day time. If not, just roll down the window to park
Wow, that is sick man, you can't see sh*t in there from outside! Going from 70% to 5% in DE legally is awesome! lol...

More info about 10 dome LED reverse light?

By the way, I already have tint installed from the dealer but it's so light... my question is... will the tint place have to strip that tint down or can they install another layer over it? If they can install another layer over it, I would probably just get 15% as those two combined would be around 7%. Also, is there any disadvantage of getting one film over another? Such as... shorter lifetime of the tint? I would assume there is
Old 03-05-2009, 07:12 AM
zcoupe

well i see you are in fl. i used to live there and they really seem to not care how dark your tint is. my old car i had 5% and i never got pulled over. my z i have 35% on. the 35% you can see right into though. it is legal in fl though. i have learned through personal experience that no matter how dark you go with your tint you will always get used to it and not mind how dark it is. Me personally i think the lighter tint looks more classy. just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM
zcoupe

Hey guys... I just installed my stereo this past weekend and now I need to tint my windows so it's not in plain sight. When I bought my car it already had dealer installed legal film which is not dark enough and I am trying to decide if I should go with 5% or 15%. I would love the looks of 5% but I do not want to sacrifice my night time vision... and I am not sure how easily you can see in the car with 15% tint in the Z.

Can you post pics of your tinted windows with % of tint you have and brand of the tint. What is the best brand between 3M, Lumar, and Suntec? Or are they all comparable?

And yes, I did search and could not find any pics from the recent threads... all pics are in the older threads and they are just bunch of red Xs now
this is 35%
Attached Thumbnails Window tint... post PICS of yours.-0211091526.jpg   Window tint... post PICS of yours.-0909081725.jpg  
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM
07rdsterGT

18% rear
35% front

As far as brand, just make sure you go with a tint shop that had been established for a while with a life warranty on their tint work.
Attached Thumbnails Window tint... post PICS of yours.-l_d025167a8654bd39f47967ea7846d3d5.jpg   Window tint... post PICS of yours.-l_fdcfe843f4085d4fbfc9d73f924a1d4b.jpg  

Last edited by 07rdsterGT; 03-05-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 AM
ninor

Thank you guys! The tint place gives lifetime warranty on their tint... but no warranty if they install tint over another tint which makes sense... so I called Nissan dealership where I bought my car (as well as my mom's car) and the sales manager did not want to budge with me about them taking their tint that I never asked for off... I will call the GM on my lunch break to try to get them to strip the tint off for free... I'll let you guys know.

But I think I'll go with 5% and try to get a tint waiver from some doctor (my eye doctor wouldn't do it)

Quick Reply: Window tint... post PICS of yours.