Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered my new body kit...your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:21 AM
themadhatterxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Armitage
Why didn't you just paint the hatch black while it was in? It certainly needs it since you painted the pieces over the doors black. Once that is done, it will look siiiick.
The other pieces are carbon fiber...well I was short on cash after dropping $3700 for kit and paintjob so I figured I'd just get the ball rolling now and complete it by painting the hatch with the wing I want in about a couple of months... the Nismo1 wing doesn't look too bad in person but i definitely want the power enterprise one.

Took some night shots last night will post picks later...but the funny thing is I was parked in a little lot by the service road off the highway taking the pictures (same area in pics above) and apparently I was causing traffic to back up cause were slowing down to look as they were exiting the highway.

Last edited by themadhatterxxx; 06-30-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:39 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

your car is really aggressive, it could probably beat me up.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 AM
themadhatterxxx

Any recommendations for a black paint code that would transition well with the carbon fiber roof when painting the hatch black...
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My thoughts. I like the front setup.... though you didn't paint the diffuser properly. It should have been done like the examples you posted and color matched on the part that wraps up into the front opening.

You did the roof correctly (in that you didn't paint the rear hatch). that said, I do NOT like the hood, nor the pillars/mirrors. You should replace those with stock pieces. at the very least, paint the hood. Leave the hatch alone. IMHO the reason for the black roof is to kind of give it the illusion of a glass roof and makes it flow with the windshield and rear glass.... not for a two tone look.... with your setup, you are somewhere in between the two tone look and a nice flow between the pieces of glass.

I like the rear, but please remove the CF plate insert. It looks grossly out of place. Almost gaudy. I don't like the rear back up/marker lights being tinted. I know some will say they match the color scheme better, but IMO they don't quite match and as a result, seem to stick out more than they would if they were oem clear. I think the same thing about the rear Z badge. It looks gaudy and out of place. You kept the oem '350Z' so why such a heavy contrast with the Z badge?

I am not a fan of nismo spoiler, but that's just me. I am happy to see it color matched vs CF or black.

The sides look OK. Completely tacky that they are a cover of the oem sides vs a replacement. I think that is my main complaint.

Overall, I like the pieces, but think the details of paint and CF pieces take away from the overall appeal of the setup

edit:
one thing I do notice now is they didn't do a quality job on the roof paint. They didn't remove the rear hatch when they painted it. You see a line of yellow below the black when the hatched is closed. the hatch should have been removed and the paint line brought down weather stripping in the hatch opening. In the same pic, you can clearly see what I am talking about with the roof flowing with the glass. if it was just he center panel black, it would flow with glass. Looking at with the CF pillars, it doesn't flow. Like I said, details like this take away from the overall appeal of your setup

Last edited by Zivman; 07-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM
themadhatterxxx

Originally Posted by Zivman
My thoughts. I like the front setup.... though you didn't paint the diffuser properly. It should have been done like the examples you posted and color matched on the part that wraps up into the front opening.

You did the roof correctly (in that you didn't paint the rear hatch). that said, I do NOT like the hood, nor the pillars/mirrors. You should replace those with stock pieces. at the very least, paint the hood. Leave the hatch alone. IMHO the reason for the black roof is to kind of give it the illusion of a glass roof and makes it flow with the windshield and rear glass.... not for a two tone look.... with your setup, you are somewhere in between the two tone look and a nice flow between the pieces of glass.

edit:
one thing I do notice now is they didn't do a quality job on the roof paint. They didn't remove the rear hatch when they painted it. You see a line of yellow below the black when the hatched is closed. the hatch should have been removed and the paint line brought down weather stripping in the hatch opening.
Hmmm...I chose not to have any prep or paint at all on the diffuser since after a couple of weeks i was sure it was gonna look like jigsaw paint from the inevitable rock chips from crap on the roads here that hit the front bumper.

Well I agree with you on the sliver of yellow that peaks thru the cf roof overlay but its only visible at that angle looking up from below. There was no painting done at all on the roof. Couldn't really do much about it since the overlay fitment was horrible and it was either gonna peak thru the front or back so I chose to have the front lined up flush and put weatherstripping along the back...actually thinking about it that yellow edge is probably the bottom back edge of the roof since its not visible from the top. I will most likely tell my shop to paint that back bottom edge black or put down a thing layer of weather stripping over it when I go back to paint the hatch as it will be removed for easy access.

Totally agree with the hilarity of the sideskirts being covers instead of full replacements. When I ordered them I was under the impression that they were full pieces. When I looked at them in the box I still thought they were still full pieces until my bodyshop called me and told me they didnt fit at all. So after spamming the forums here I found out from one other person that they go over the oems and that it would be advisable to mold them onto the oems. I wasn't too happy with the edgy areas where the JP pieces met with the oems because I chose not to mold them, but thats just me nitpicking about it.

There is no illusion of a glass roof since all the pieces are carbon fiber ..and I am painting the hatch black to finish the two tone look so thats a negative to paint on the cf hood. Well then the question is why don't I just buy a cf hatch? because i want to mount a do luck/power enterprise full cf wing in a couple of months which wont be too secure on a cf hatch..I did hate the mirrors for visibility reasons at first but I've grown used to them. And I like the black/CF details like the lights and license plate holder, I think it compliments the yellow very well. Actually my bodyshop suggested putting some black or cf accents on the amuse front bumper too which I've noticed were on some cars in the amuse showoff thread here in the photogallery forum...

But overall I'm pretty happy with it..my only concerns are my issue with rivets on the top of the diffuser which seem to be popping out of the lip area which im getting fixed friday and my question about a black paintcode for the hatch that would go well with the cf..

Last edited by themadhatterxxx; 07-01-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by themadhatterxxx
Hmmm...I chose not to have any prep or paint at all on the diffuser since after a couple of weeks i was sure it was gonna look like jigsaw paint from the filth on the roads here.

Well I agree with you on the sliver of yellow that peaks thru the cf roof overlay but its only visible at that angle looking up from below. There was no painting done at all on the roof. Couldn't really do much about it since the overlay fitment was horrible and it was either gonna peak thru the front or back so I chose to have the front lined up flush and put weatherstripping along the back...actually thinking about it that yellow edge is probably the bottom back edge of the roof since its not visible from the top.

There is no illusion of a glass roof since all the pieces are carbon fiber ..and I am painting the hatch black to finish the two tone look so thats a negative to paint on the hatch. Well then the question is why don't I just buy a cf hatch? because i want to mount a do luck/power enterprise wing in a couple of months which wont be secure on a cf hatch... so back to my question about a black that would go well with the cf...I did hate the mirrors for visibility reasons at first but I've grown used to them.
From the pics, I could not tell the roof was an overlay. In any case, that makes me not like it at all. I am a big fan of painting the roof black, but not going CF on the top half of the car. I like CF, but when it is done in the form of overlays and agressive hoods, I'll leave them alone. If your car was a dark grey or black, I think CF would set if off with the subtle contrast of the CF. Being that is bright yellow, the contrast is too strong and the CF just looks gaudy and mismatched.

to summarize:
paint roof panel black
put oem pillars and mirrors back on
Paint CF hood yellow, or replace with OEM
replace OEM Z badge on rear.
Color match the front diffuser like shown in the examples (strip along the front lip)
get rid of CF plate insert on rear bumper
Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

I say do what you like with your car.

Zivman: His car is yellow I don't think he cares about it being to aggressive, I think that was his intention.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

If it was my car I would do the following:

CF Overlays for the OEM Mirrrors
Get rid of that weird Z Badge on the rear
Maybe a different hood? I love that hood but I dont like it with the Amuse front. Maybe the Asuka Type 1? (PM me for pricing )
2 Tone the lower lip of the sideskirts to flow with the front diffuser & rear diffuser
Exhaust with burnt titanium tips
Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM
themadhatterxxx

From the pics, I could not tell the roof was an overlay. In any case, that makes me not like it at all. I am a big fan of painting the roof black, but not going CF on the top half of the car. I like CF, but when it is done in the form of overlays and agressive hoods, I'll leave them alone. If your car was a dark grey or black, I think CF would set if off with the subtle contrast of the CF. Being that is bright yellow, the contrast is too strong and the CF just looks gaudy and mismatched.

to summarize:
paint roof panel black
Color match the front diffuser like shown in the examples (strip along the front lip)
Welp I guess i just wasted alot of my money and i fall flat on my face and FIAL with my tastes.

LOL thats ok your entitled to your opinion since I did ask everyone and I respect that. But this car is only a weekend go out and have fun car, is garaged and covered during the work week so I don't mind it being too gaudy. Plus the stares, random compliments and traffic problems I've caused since last saturday definitely makes it well worth it and puts a smile on my face.

DSpiel your an M1 guy...any opinion on what kind of black paint?

Yea lol my bodyshop did laugh at me about the z emblem but I like it for the cf...
Already checked the CF covers wont fit the mirrors because of turn signals..
About the exhaust...I would but because its the APS exhaust I think I would need a retune if I swapped.
The car actually sounds quieter than stock aside from turbo spooling and blowoff valve..so I'm not sure if I would want that attention as I already have unmarked and regular cops giving me the evil eye in the neighborhood. I guess in about 18 months when I have some money saved for a built block and twin turbo that will change too.

Last edited by themadhatterxxx; 07-01-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

I'm not sure what color code would work. The problem is that it is going to hard to make it "flow" with the yellow paint being such a stark contrast.

A talented body shop should be able to make a color that would suffice.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by dspiel
I say do what you like with your car.

Zivman: His car is yellow I don't think he cares about it being to aggressive, I think that was his intention.
aggressive is fine, which is why I would say paint the hood. The contrast of the CF makes the setup look choppy vs flowing well together

Welp I guess i just wasted alot of my money and i fall flat on my face and FIAL with my tastes.

LOL thats ok your entitled to your opinion since I did ask everyone and I respect that. But this car is only a weekend go out and have fun car, is garaged and covered during the work week so I don't mind it being too gaudy. Plus the stares, random compliments and traffic problems I've caused since last saturday definitely makes it well worth it and puts a smile on my face.

DSpiel your an M1 guy...any opinion on what kind of black paint?

Yea lol my bodyshop did laugh at me about the z emblem but I like it for the cf...
Already checked the CF covers wont fit the mirrors because of turn signals..
About the exhaust...I would but because its the APS exhaust I think I would need a retune if I swapped.
The car actually sounds quieter than stock aside from turbo spooling and blowoff valve..so I'm not sure if I would want that attention as I already have unmarked and regular cops giving me the evil eye in the neighborhood. I guess in about 18 months when I have some money saved for a built block and twin turbo that will change too.
The whole reason I responded as thoroughly and specifically as I did, is because I like your car and the pieces. I think the smaller details of the setup are distracting. I think addressing at least some of what I posted will help the overall appeal of the car. It just lacks a uniform flow. Of course it is just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:59 PM
ag4670

you should make it look like this lol paint!!!!! ftw

Last edited by ag4670; 07-11-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spoiler needs to go along with the sideskirts. the rear and front look good
Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car looks great right now, but the yellow hatch is throwing it off. You should get a MG carbon hatch and then it would look bad @$$. I would also recomend getting new side mirrors. Don't be discourage by people saying you didnt paint stuff right, there is more than one way to paint parts. And just because they see something done the same way all the time doesn't mean that's the correct way to do it!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM
ChaserAero
Vendor - Former Vendor

I think it looks great, carbon hatch is all you need now!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Kupalo

JP Type A Sideskirts
Anyone know what type of rims these are?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
xNeo

to summarize:
paint roof panel black

+1, As soon as I saw the pics that is what I thought. Especially the pillar, it kills the flow of the car. Looks like Legos slammed together. Just my .02.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
themadhatterxxx

Originally Posted by xNeo
+1, As soon as I saw the pics that is what I thought. Especially the pillar, it kills the flow of the car. Looks like Legos slammed together. Just my .02.
Thanks but I guess reading comprehension is not your strong point being that i said atleast on three different occasions my plans for the hatch and wing to finish the rest of the car.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
themadhatterxxx

Soooo yeah I just ordered the wing...will paint the hatch black and mount it...pics in about 2 weeks... ...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
2k6-z33

^Nice!

Quick Reply: Just ordered my new body kit...your thoughts?