Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alcantara

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM
audisyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alcantara

Has anyone wrapped their wheel in alcantara? Pics of a Z with an alcantara wheel wrap or shift boot? Couldn't find any old threads about it..
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 AM
cwv_558

Well I searched alcantara and found

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...alcantara.html

There's no alcantara on the steering wheel or shift boot, but you can get a pretty good idea of what it would look like.

I would image that the steering would get dirty pretty quick from the oils on your hand, and it would be a PITA to clean..
Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 AM
phos

shift boots in ..washable.. alacantara can be bought through lathewerks.com
i recently bought one, and a shift **** too, now that i think of it.. to arrive
today by chance...

Last edited by phos; 08-20-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: url typo corrected
Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ew.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 AM
phos

Default ew?

Originally Posted by Armitage
Ew.

.. and 'ew' means you'd prefer leather bootie?
same price; I chose the synth fabric as easily washable.

given that steel in 150F++ summer parking lot cabin can get
toasty++, hand may actually moisten; over time, I'd want to
throw it in washer. Now that that's spelled out, anything
more you'd like to spew, mewling ew, & goo & some other
monosyllabic utterance I expect.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks tacky in my opinion. I prefer not to have furry/fuzzy material in my car. Hence my comment.

I hope that polysyllabic response was enough for you and your lack of capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks tacky in my opinion. I prefer not to have furry/fuzzy material in my car. Hence my comment.

I hope that polysyllabic response was enough for you and your lack of capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure.
Lulz
Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM
phos

armitage: ( y u w/ the ppw in the 4x4 mode ... eeu)
I agree about use of alacantara for covering various parts; porsche does a good job of leather usage for dash and 'everything' else; it looks unified; tho' seats-only is an option.

but it's more about completeness than material per se, imo. whether wood or carbon, real suede or polyester, it's the choppy, blocky application that detracts from what could be a well fitted, co-ordinated assemblage of color and texture.

too, tho', people forget, as with lawns, that most of these furnishing embellishments derive from latitudes north of u.s.a. (euro) in even a pre-global heated post little ice age cooling trend climate. everyone wore heavy leather jackets in summer 'back in the day', due arctic breezes cooling boot clopping jets; no cars heated much in those gray, rainy cloud foamed skies.
300F back window usa heat no environment for wood or leather.

anyway, nouns verbs and an adjective here and there, ee-u!, is the main thing; spacing between words was a late medieval improvement of value.
iwouldn'tfudgewiththateveratleastforimportantmissivesasinthe seinetmessages. case tho', abbrev.'s, fragments, aren't crucial to obfuscating meaning, chat window size demands brevity and electric kool aid i-net time multi-tasking contraints contract/compress by necessity, it's ascii realm of telegraph dot-dash world.

personally, i do stress fidelity to possession, urs / ur's, and precision w/ contraction, your /you're, for ex's. also, metrics, # thing, very useful and not enough numerate enough to use them (1234567890 stuff) else, it's good ol' engrish ... now i do have two sets of leather gloves, full fingered driving and short fingered mo-bike for summer, fwiw .. keeps wheel dry in summer and hand warm in frost zone. haven't used much tho..

Last edited by phos; 08-20-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added space omitted
Old 08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Lee R

Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
phos

Lee, if you get a scrap of alacantara, you can place it under your chin so you don't slobber on the violin. Alacantara is available in dozens of colors to match every digestive disorder you may ever have!

Lighten up, drivers, it's just info-tainment after all .. .
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
audisyr

alcantara isn't fuzzy or tacky... It coats almost all ferrari and maserati paneling. Its also the new material that covers the 370Z arm rests on the doors. It is more expensive then leather..
Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Aust350z

..and its easier to clean and look after than leather too.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 PM
phos

audisyr, for the shift **** bootie at least, it's the same.

but it's not about price, main issue is blocky pieces here and there, if you did every square millimeter it would be, 'consistent', and 'whole'. Now it's a bit 'patchy'.

second issue is color, that's a whole other topic, but some hue, tint, (black or white levels) and saturation levels are more acceptable that others; obviously you choose what your retinas like, but there are also conventions, and practicalities: darker material, 'burnt orange', burgundy, black, navy blue, reduces wear and stain visibility.

creams and whites can be elegant but what's the environment, cultural, climatalogical, fashion level; powder blue sounds good in a store but cruising through a depressed neighborhood/city/country can be obnoxious and attract resentments, even hostilities. some such colors (h,s,l) are reserved for funeral parlors, or houses of an ill repute.

check out bentley sports models with their color combos. then return to your Z and set about re-orienting your statement, beginning with complete coverage mapping. go to handprint.com and learn about modern color theory, find a palette you like and mix up dash, seating, ceiling combos.

or, just choose black and spend more time driving somewhere.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
audisyr

EDIT- I see. Not concerned about color, however the process of attaining and applying the material

Last edited by audisyr; 08-20-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ew.
he's an Audi guy. alcantera is rampant over there....
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM
audisyr

Originally Posted by surfcity40
he's an Audi guy. alcantera is rampant over there....
Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 PM
phos

sorry, had seen that link with the blue ceiling and thought you were decking out whole interior.

still, i've seen leather brake boot, & shift boot options that might work better together if same leather type.

maybe then get shift bootie from lathewerks or other to tie those sections together.

as for steering wheel, i have no idea. just covering it wouldn't be enough as we have to drag that heavy wheel around; it has to be securely attached.

either get a less expensive, more disposable on bi-annual basis leather wrap, as with tennis racket, or, get a whole new steering wheel, which you probably wouldn't do if have controls on it now. just google steering wheel wrap alacantara leather etc. might find a lot of things for that.

Last edited by phos; 08-20-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audisyr
I drive a daytona blue Z and thought of installing blue alcantera seat inserts (like those in the Nogaro blue B4 S4) but didn't.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Both of our shop cars have had the Alcantara treatment. The work was done by Performance Outfitters Group in Connecticut

My car:

Adam's Car:

Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
audisyr

I think an excess amount looks tacky, i agree... But the right amount could really set a car off.

Originally Posted by surfcity40
I drive a daytona blue Z and thought of installing blue alcantera seat inserts (like those in the Nogaro blue B4 S4) but didn't.
Ahh that brings back memories. Now that you bring that up ... that color would bring out your exterior. Did you ever think about accenting other areas of the interior.. that could look real good

Quick Reply: alcantara