Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO-R Concept Z Front LED with Z4 LED first final install.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:08 PM
MacGyver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evo,

If you're interested in working together, I can provide you with a color-selectable version with a lot more than just basic functionality. For example, tune it to blue for standard driving, blinks amber for turns, turns red for full throttle, white for backing up, etc. Color would be completely selectable...

The digital controller I've been working on for my footwell lights and windscreen lights should be done in a few weeks (the code has been more difficult than I had hoped, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel now), and it's the perfect complement to what you've created here.

Let me know...
Old 11-18-2003, 12:18 PM
N74DV

Blue for straight driving and amber for turn signal would be awesome!
Old 11-19-2003, 01:23 PM
micky

Default hu~~~

That's very interesting project. I like to see it on the pic or on anything!

P.S. Andy, I'm sorry. I thought you forgot about me... since you have your own "Z" now ^^
Old 11-19-2003, 01:46 PM

ohooo -so you mean to tell me that the side Z sign would be able to change color with the different funcionts of the shift or trothle... Holly crap. -will that be hard to install?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:06 PM
350z-z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 1337
ohooo -so you mean to tell me that the side Z sign would be able to change color with the different funcionts of the shift or trothle... Holly crap. -will that be hard to install?

PLEASE DO NOT GET CONFUSE!!! Evo-R never stated that our LEDs will change color, this multi-color LED is offered by member "MacGyver", NOT Evo-R. As of now Evo-R's LED will be single color LED. We'll consider the multi-color LED if the cost is reasonable.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:35 PM
MacGyver

Sorry to confuse the issue here, guys...these are completely separate products (one made by me, the other by Andy), but I believe combining the two would make for a very full-featured product. I have been in contact with him through PM in hopes of working out some sort of deal.

I spent quite a bit of my time over the past several months modifying windscreens for the S2000 crowd, but I must say I wasn't overly thrilled at the "materials" side of things. I have always enjoyed the electronics/programming involved, but other than soldering of components onto a PCB, I never was a huge fan of putting it all together...I did it because the product required it, that's all. In this case, I would be happy to let Andy take car of the construction side of things for the badges, but I would provide the control box and LEDs. This would obviously require Andy's permission and your interest (so bug him like hell if you want it ).

So there's no confusion, adding in my bit of the mod would increase the price significantly (I will be selling the footwell lights, new windscreen, and underbody lighting all based upon this same control box)...to be more precise, the footwell lights will go for $120.

Now before you guys start getting your panties in a wad about the price, know that I'm used to the initial skepticism. If I was sitting in your computer chair, I'd cough up a hairball at that price, as well. But if the banter on s2ki.com is any indication, almost everyone quickly looks past that once they realize how much is possible with my projects, not to mention the high quality of product and customer service I strive for. All one has to do is look at some of the comments like "I don't care what MacGyver is making next, I know it will be good...sign me up to be the first!" in some of the follwing threads about the footwell lights and the windscreen...

Prototype Stage: MacGyver's Footwell Lights

Now In Production : Multi-color Lighted Windscreen with Brake

I'm not trying to steal Andy's thread or thunder, I'm merely offering it as a potential option for those interested in just a little bit more. If Andy is not interested (or you guys, for that matter), I'll gladly go back to selling my products by themselves.

If he IS interested, read on to find out a little more of what is possible...

This is an all digital, surface mount design (see pics below). I retain complete control over the brightness of the three primary colors (red, green, and blue), therefore I can essentially make any color your monitor or TV can (within reason). This gives me the ability to change colors on the fly in an instant, fade from one color to the next, blink colors, etc., for the ultimate in flexibility.

A prime example is the footwell lights...the basic unit will turn on the LEDs when the door is opened and turn them off when the door is closed. Simple enough, no? Adjust the options, though, and you can have the lights fade out after closing the door (instead of instant off). Hook it to the maplights and individually control which side is lit. I've had numerous requests for color changes when a certain event happens, such as the VTEC cam kicking in....so, adjust for, say, blue and enjoy the subdued light in the cabin, but punch the throttle, jump above 6k rpm and the footwells suddenly shift to red!

I have provided a jumper on the controller that allows for reprogrammability. Should someone come up with a great idea (maybe a new light pattern for a show demo mode that's not already in there?), I merely adjust my code appropriately. If you want the upgrade, send the control box back to me (a completely separate unit that can be removed from the lights and power supply) and I'll add it in for a small reprogramming fee (bug fixes will, of course, be free and only require the cost of return S/H). In fact, it's through this jumper that I do all of my code testing/updates on the prototype.

Remember, this is offered as a POTENTIAL additional option, it is not a necessity, nor are Andy and I yet working together. I'll let you guys pressure him
Old 11-19-2003, 07:48 PM
350z-z33

Thumbs up

Nicely said

"MacGyver", Please email me more info as far as pricing and more pictures, if possible maybe even send me a sample so I can test on our LED markers.

PS. What's the rating on the LEDs you used?

Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:30 PM
N74DV

damn MacGyver! you sure got your $hit together! I think the idea of integrating your ideas into the Z4 fender LED's is great!

This has to happen! I'm all over it if it does. All over it like horseflies on Llama crap

also.... MacGyver.... do you ever do any freelance programming/design work? I've got a couple projects that could use your expertise.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:01 PM
MacGyver

Andy,

I'm still working on the code, so I only have a prototype system in my hands at the moment (although once that's done, I have about 30 boards ready to assemble for production). Nearly two weeks ago I said it shoudl only take me a couple more weeks to finish the code, but as you can see, I'm still working on it Things NEVER seem to go as fast as I would like, but I'd rather spend a bit more time than ship out a sub-standard product.

I will need to modify the code slightly to handle the specific application (such as the turn signal), but that's a relatively simple change. I will also go through a round of "Please make your suggestions now" as I get closer to finishing it up so I can implement the functionality customers want. The code will take me a bit of time, but that parts cost won't change, so expect the price tag to stay the same at $120/control box (I will consider discounts for bulk buys). If not, no need for you to buy them in bulk, just say "I have 5 orders coming up" and I'll send you out 5 boxes and LED strings.

I tend to shy away from quoting candela ratings for LEDs as the average person isn't pec-savvy enough to understand exactly what it all means. If I told most people vehicle #1 has 200 hp and #2 had 190 hp, most would would say #1 is a faster car...they might be right, they might be wrong...the dyno-savvy person knows it's all about the area under the curve, not the peak hp number. The same applies to LED mcd ratings...compared to some LEDs out there that are rated at 10 candela, a 5 candela LED would seem dim...unless you take into account those emasurements were made at 100 degree viewing angle for the first one and 15 degree viewing angle for the second. I'll leave it at "They're pretty frikkin' bright!" for now. Compared to neon, these LEDs would totally destroy any neon tube on a square inch for square inch basis...if I spread two LEDs out by 4-6 inches, I feel they're just as bright as your typical neon tube, and that's good enough for me).

N74,

I will do freelance work, but it has to be REALLY worth my time. After being laid off TWICE due to the comm market crashing, I decided it was time to be my own boss, hence the design and introduction of these products over the last few months. I don't even have an official webpage yet...I'm working on that, though. I just wanted to make sure I had products to SELL before putting one up. There's nothing I hate more than surfing to a page, finding a great roduct, only to find out it's "Coming soon..." and never seems to materialize (vapor-hardware). I'll hopefully be walking the beat at Hot Import Nights down here in neighboring Miami privately showing some of my work to the guys on the showroom floor. Building it up has been a slow, but determined process. In fact, I will be sponsoring a friend's car that will be in a photoshoot for several well known mags...with my logo (which needs to be made ), web address (yep, need to make that, too), company name (uhhh, no clue on that one, either), and hopefully my products in the spotlight. Needless to say, I'm working Fast and Furious to get it all done in time.

I'd be happy to hear what kind of projects you have in mind. I have quite a thick list of items I will be designing (including performance products), it just so happens the LED items are the easiest to work with. So, your ideas may already be in my stack of to-do items. I try to judge level of interest on the S board so I know what project to work on next. First it was the windscreens, next came the footwells....I decided to push the underbody lights up the list since the cheap version will use the same control box (yes, there will be an expensive version, but it'll blow away the competition, and it's off in the distance for a while). Quite a few expressed interest in an instrument cluster upgrade package, but again, I can only work on one thing at a time...my potential clients help determine what that is.

Of course, I always do my best to offer free advise. Be forewarned, though...I call people on BS I know my ****, but I'm not afraid to admit when I don't know something...but as people on the S board have learned, if you're going to challenge me on something, you had BEST be able to back it up with hard evidence/theory, not just "My friend's mother's uncle has a monkey who saw a dyno chart...yadda yadda yadda" I'm a real stickler when it comes to the details, which is probably why people are happy with the stuff I create.

<step off of soapbox>
Old 11-21-2003, 08:11 AM
black350

umm MacGyver... i want a set... but with the orange led's. u think u could make a special one that can change colors by the press of a button? (saying i was to switch to clear corners). I know this is still beta and all, but once ur done, i want to be one of the first to obtaine this well done product.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:48 PM
MacGyver

Black,

I think you're missing one of the great ideas behind the controller...you can choose to display whatever color(s) you want, just program it in. No need to change LEDs or order the box with a specific color. Through a fairly simplistic interface (one 5-way hat switch and the LEDs for feedback), you choose the color you want to display along with what options you'd like (what those options are will be decided later).

The box comes with several inputs meant to hook up to anything from 0-15V, so an input can be a door pin, an ECU line, a switch, a relay, or whatever else you can think of. Depending upon what options I end up programming in, you could choose those options through a switch if you so desire.

Example: The LEDs are set to display an aqua color during normal operation. They may be set to display amber whenever the turn signal is activated (hook an input to the turn signal wire). Maybe you'd want them to turn green at WOT (use another input and hook it to your throttle position sensor), but red when rpms go above 4,000 (use another input and hook it to a shift light set to 4,000 rpm).

The possibilities are endless, but obviously I can only anticipate so many of them. When I get to that point, I'll ask for suggestions on possible input combinations, how many different selectable color combos people might want, etc.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by MacGyver

Example: The LEDs are set to display an aqua color during normal operation. They may be set to display amber whenever the turn signal is activated (hook an input to the turn signal wire). Maybe you'd want them to turn green at WOT (use another input and hook it to your throttle position sensor), but red when rpms go above 4,000 (use another input and hook it to a shift light set to 4,000 rpm).

woah!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:51 AM
350Z_Redline

Default For Sale Yet??

Are the LED Z4 side markers for sale yet??
Old 11-26-2003, 10:12 AM
350z-z33

Smile Re: For Sale Yet??

Originally posted by 350Z_Redline
Are the LED Z4 side markers for sale yet??

Hopefully we'll get them before mid Dec. 2003.

Jay; "COME ON JAY...HURRY UP "

Last edited by 350z-z33; 11-26-2003 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:26 PM
JDMZ33
Vendor - Former Vendor

Final PCB Board. I have extend the clear dots 2mm more. This afternoon doing molding test. Hehehe shoot out 100 sets in 30 min. After this I'm ready for production!
Old 11-27-2003, 11:02 AM
350z-z33

Originally posted by JDMZ33
Final PCB Board. I have extend the clear dots 2mm more. This afternoon doing molding test. Hehehe shoot out 100 sets in 30 min. After this I'm ready for production!

There we go, JAY !!!
Old 11-27-2003, 11:50 PM
SomeGuywitha-Z

MacGyver is da man...
Old 12-01-2003, 01:06 PM
CaneZMD

Any new info on production or pricing on either of these lights.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:49 PM
afr0puff

OK... this is like the coolest thing ever!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:42 PM
350z-z33

Thumbs up We are taking ORDERS NOW !!!

Originally posted by CaneZMD
Any new info on production or pricing on either of these lights.

Pricing;

(1) Front Concept LED = $169 a set (pair)

(2) Z4 side marker LED = $69 a set (pair)

Both item will be available in amber, blue, or white color LED. They should be available before X-mas. We are taking orders now! Please email me ( Andy@Evo-R.net ) with the following info;

(1) Your complete name
(2) Your e-mail address
(3) Which LED marker(s) are you interested (Front or Z4 or BOTH)?
(4) What color LED (amber, blue, or white)?

Once I receive your email I'll add you to the list and contact you once they are available, thanks!

Quick Reply: EVO-R Concept Z Front LED with Z4 LED first final install.