Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need an oven for a Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Mamounas123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need an oven for a Paint Job?

I need peoples honest opinions on this and also people with expereiecnce. Well guys a i have bought the Ings+1 lx sport body kit and fenders and the factory spoiler. The big question i have is do you need an oven booth for a good paint job? Does it affect the longetiviy of the paint with out an oven. One of my best friends uncles who is a bodyman came up from alabama to do a few jobs here so i thought of giving him my z to do. However i found out that hes not going to paint the car in the oven. I m a little stuck and skeptical.

Last edited by Mamounas123; 10-13-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Accordaleer

Bake Oven Paint Booth

This paint booth provides a 99.9 % dust free painting environment, allowing for a much cleaner paint job with fewer impurities on the vehicle. The bake booth bakes and hardens the paint quicker so the surface is less susceptible to damage.

All I found. shrug

I can't sleep.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 AM
duro78

^ what he said but Ive seen some good paint jobs without one and some crappy ones with it. They're a very expensive investment for a shop. My body guy did spectactular work without one then he got one installed he was all excited my car was the first to go in it and the job had to be redone months later. It still comes down to the guy doing your work not the paint booth
Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 AM
duro78

That factory paint job can never be replicated for one at those temps everything in the car would melt. Its not time or cost effective to completely strip a car to paint it and bake it unless its a ground up resto of a classic
Old 10-14-2009, 03:28 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Oven in the paint booth is simply to make the paint dry faster, Has nothing to do with how "Good" it is.

A booth is to keep the paint clean while spraying. You may get some dirt without it but it can be wet sanded and buffed which it needs to look correct anyway.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Globalscan

The term Oven Bake is misleading. If the booth got as hot as an oven things would melt.

A paint booth however is important to keep the dirt out and ventilated for the paint sprayer.

The painter adds activator agents into the paint to help it dry and harden. There are different agents for different temps. So if you spray it in the cold vs heat it will still dry.

If you are looking for a quick job... take it to an oven bake. If you want a quality job... take it to a good painter.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the succcess or failure of the paint job, be it certain pieces or a full respray, is a combination of the skill level of the prep/paint work, and the quality of materials

the booth and an outside heat source can make things easier, but they certainly are not required

my own car was painted free air - no booth, no heat source.