Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How am I ever going to mount this?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Zenica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How am I ever going to mount this?!?

I bought an OEM spoiler/wing from someone that removed it from
their car. It doesn't have the bolts (they were cut) and no template.

With this in mind, how would YOU install/mount this so it won't come off
or look like $&!%?

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:53 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just eyeball it with a dry erase marker and use another person to help you. Use 3m automotive tape.

I shaved the bolts on my OEM spoiler and installed it the same way. It's been on there for 6 years now.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This might be of some help....

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-template.html

Like 35oZephyR, I ground the bolts off and mounted it with 3M Molding tape (# 03614). Before you put the tape on, test fit the spoiler. There is a lip on the rear edge, it catches on the ridge along the back end of the hatch. Get it lined up, the put some masking tape on the body where the front edge needs to stop.

Clean the area with alcohol to remove any grease, wax, etc. Put your molding tape on the spoiler then carefully lay it in position. When you're sure you've got it, press it down tight and it won't come off.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 11-11-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no template when I mounted my N1 replica. I taped a few pieces of relatively thick Mylar together, then laid it on the underside (mounting side) of the wing and outlined the shape of the wing for positioning and the holes for drilling. I then tranferred this to the car.
I was scared out of my mind because I'd never done anything like this. When I laid the wing on the car, the holes didn't match up. I put a bolt in the hole closest to the center then worked my way out. This process pulled the wing down to the car and fit perfectly. I was so proud of myself that I kept giggling. I usually follow the rule of "Cut if off 3 times and it's still too short", but this time the process worked.
My biggest advice is go slowly and measure about a gazillion times.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Zenica

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Just eyeball it with a dry erase marker and use another person to help you. Use 3m automotive tape.

I shaved the bolts on my OEM spoiler and installed it the same way. It's been on there for 6 years now.
Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
This might be of some help....

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-template.html

Like 35oZephyR, I ground the bolts off and mounted it with 3M Moulding tape (# 03614). Before you put the tape on, test fit the spoiler. There is a lip on the rear edge, it catches on the ridge along the back end of the hatch. Get it lined up, the put some masking tape on the body where the front edge needs to stop.

Clean the area with alcohol to remove any grease, wax, etc. Put your molding tape on the spoiler then carefully lay it in position. When you're sure you've got it, press it down tight and it won't come off.
I am apprehensive about using tape alone to hold this spoiler to the car.
The fear of it coming off at highway speeds and hitting another vehicle
have kept it on a shelf for the better part of 2 years.

I would be more comfortable with at least a single bolt...

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
I had no template when I mounted my N1 replica. I taped a few pieces of relatively thick Mylar together, then laid it on the underside (mounting side) of the wing and outlined the shape of the wing for positioning and the holes for drilling. I then tranferred this to the car.
I was scared out of my mind because I'd never done anything like this. When I laid the wing on the car, the holes didn't match up. I put a bolt in the hole closest to the center then worked my way out. This process pulled the wing down to the car and fit perfectly. I was so proud of myself that I kept giggling. I usually follow the rule of "Cut if off 3 times and it's still too short", but this time the process worked.
My biggest advice is go slowly and measure about a gazillion times.

This is what I had in mind but I wasn't sure if it would work as good as
the OEM template.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Believe me when I tell you that once you put it down with the 3M tape, it's not coming off. When I first got my spoiler a few years ago, I mounted it wrong (I didn't have the template or instructions to go by). Even though the leading edge was not stuck down tightly, the tape held it on fine. This setup went through numerous track days, autocrosses and lot of long distance road trips.

I had to pull hard to get the spoiler off the car, almost to the point that I was afraid of damaging it. I was talking to a guy at a body shop and he told me that usually they bend and break parts held on by the 3M tape before getting it off a vehicle. This came up because they were replacing the trunk on my wifes car and they deformed the spoiler when trying to take it off. They had to buy a new one because the old one was warped because of him pulling it.

Now that I have it mounted correctly, I have no fear of it coming off.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

If you do decide to us 3M tape, make sure and use Adhesion Promoter before putting the tape down. I'd be more than happy to send you some. I ordered twice as much as I wanted, so I've got plenty. Just PM me your address and I can send you some.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Zenica

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
If you do decide to us 3M tape, make sure and use Adhesion Promoter before putting the tape down. I'd be more than happy to send you some. I ordered twice as much as I wanted, so I've got plenty. Just PM me your address and I can send you some.
PM sent---thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Zenica

I just took the spoiler down from the shelf for a test fit and I saw what I forgot.
Some months ago, it fell from the shelf as I grabbed something else and when it hit the floor, one of the pointed corners took the brunt of it. It splintered the fiberglass/plastic
or what ever else it is made of. I repaired that part but it needs to be painted now.

My question is this, can body shop clear coast be blended with an over the counter
can of clear? I don't mean the cheap stuff found at Pep Boys but rather the good cheap stuff like U-POL #1 http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-po...6-p-15130.aspx and what exactly is 1K or 2K clear?

If I try to blend this U-POL into the clear already on the spoiler, what will happen and how should I do it to achieve the best result?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 AM
35oZephyR

That automotive 3M "tape" is not just any tape. It's almost like super putty.

There is a lot of pressure pushing the spoiler down to the hatch from daily driving so it goes nowhere. I think you'll be hardpressed to find anyone with the story of:

"oh my OEM/ Blitz spoiler flew off because I just used 3M automotive tape..."

Take it from "track" Dave, and Zephyr guy who's had his Z for years.
But if you want to put a hole in your $500 dollar hatch to save a 100 dollar OEM spoiler to give you peace of mind, then that's your call.

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 11-11-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Zenica

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
if you want to put a hole in your $500 dollar hatch to save a 100 dollar OEM spoiler to give you peace of mind, then that's your call.
I don't want to put a hole in my hatch just for the sake of putting a hole in my hatch and the peace of mind isn't to save a $100 spoiler. The peace of mind
is to preserve the lives of the people traveling in the vehicle behind me should the unthinkable happen---my spoiler separates and flies into the windshield
of the car behind.

This is not such an unfounded concern....many years ago a friend with the 80's style 5.0 Mustang with T-Tops and the drivers top flew off at highway speeds. Luckily no one was behind but it did scare the heck out of us at the time.

Last edited by Zenica; 11-11-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by Zenica
I don't want to put a hole in my hatch just for the sake of putting a hole in my hatch and the peace of mind isn't to save a $100 spoiler. The peace of mind
is to preserve the lives of the people traveling in the vehicle behind me should the unthinkable happen---my spoiler separates and flies into the windshield
of the car behind.

This is not such an unfounded concern....many years ago a friend with the 80's style 5.0 Mustang with T-Tops and the drivers top flew off at highway speeds. Luckily no one was behind but it did scare the heck out of us at the time.
I'd imagine a 5.0 Mustang T-top could do some damage, but that's just latch failure.

You have more of chance of blowing a tire (*knock on wood*) or falling asleep at the wheel than dealing with your OEM lip coming off with 3M. I'm sure Nissan bolts it down for the very same concern you have, but they have more liability in volume.

I don't know what to tell you. You can sell this one, and buy another one with bolts...but mark me up on vouching for the 3M.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Zenica

Any thoughts on my painting dilemma?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Zenica

mount it with 3M Molding tape (# 03614)
I looked in a few places, all I found was 06384 Black.

Will this work as well?

Thanks to Brian---received the adhesive promoter today.

Once I know that 06384 will work, I'll mount it and snap a few pics.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Believe me when I tell you that once you put it down with the 3M tape, it's not coming off. When I first got my spoiler a few years ago, I mounted it wrong (I didn't have the template or instructions to go by). Even though the leading edge was not stuck down tightly, the tape held it on fine. This setup went through numerous track days, autocrosses and lot of long distance road trips.

I had to pull hard to get the spoiler off the car, almost to the point that I was afraid of damaging it. I was talking to a guy at a body shop and he told me that usually they bend and break parts held on by the 3M tape before getting it off a vehicle. This came up because they were replacing the trunk on my wifes car and they deformed the spoiler when trying to take it off. They had to buy a new one because the old one was warped because of him pulling it.

Now that I have it mounted correctly, I have no fear of it coming off.
+1, i have my blitz replica installed the same way, its not coming off. ive driven 150mph+ and its not budging.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Will this work as well?

So your friendly neighborhood mailman didn't squoosh that packets then. Good deal.

I have used 3M 06382 on all of the stuff that I've attached. The only difference that I can see between 06382 and 06384 is the length of the tape. Same width, same thickness, same description. You should be OK. I made sure a left some opening on the bottom/back side of my spoiler to let any water that may build up to run out.

edit: Oops! I lied. I've used 06386, which is 1/4" thick x 20yds. I bought it on eBay for a little over $10 shipped.

Last edited by TreeFiddyZee; 11-16-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Zenica

I'm glad I didn't put it on yet, I doubt I would have thought
of leaving an opening for water.

I will install it tomorrow, wish me luck and look for the finale pics.

Thanks again for the adhesive promoter.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Will this work as well?

Yes, that should work too.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Zenica

Here are some pics, thanks to everyone that replied and helped with a special
thanks to Brian, aka TreeFiddyZee for the 3M adhesive promoter.

It came out nice--- I think.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
landen 08 3fftz

i just mounted my factory wing today using 3m tape and adhesive promoter. i also didnt have all the bolts either. the spoiler only had one bolt so i cut it off. i measured everything properly using masking tape and a tape measure. it turned out great but not sticking that well on the front side of the spoiler. edges and the rear are perfect. i may double up the front w/ 3m. any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quick Reply: How am I ever going to mount this?!?