Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Cut Aluminum & Anodizing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Cut Aluminum & Anodizing.

Hey guys,

I'm working on designing a dual gauge pod for my cubby. While building the prototype in cardboard, I thought that black anodized aluminum would be an awesome look. It would be a single cut piece that could be bent into shape. No welding should be needed. I could definitely provide the measurements to whomever did it for me.

I have no experience with this, and am not even sure who I should contact for pricing. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does anyone have experience with it.

Hell, I'm not even sure if this is the right section.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

find a local machine shop...........give him your template and let him have a go at it.

or a water jet cutting company............not sure if they do one-offs but you can call around.

your best bet is a local machine shop.....a mom and pop one would help you out on their slow day....mention that.......tell them your not in any rush, "whenever you can" words like that........let them know you need their help.

I have found that i have made good relations with local machine shops in the past....and like having that available to me for any custom stuff i work on.......

-J
Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any gueses as to how much something like that would cost? Or how much aluminum itself costs?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive made a 3 gage pod out of carbonfiber and it cost like 30 so it wont be too bad aluminum is cheap.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ ya aluminum is cheap, its the machine shop work that you would have to worry about.

call up any local metal supply store. google in your area...

have them cut a piece the size you need then go to local machine shops and see what they are willing to do for you.

some machine shops have a shop minimum.......i have usually seen it to be about 75 bucks for the first hour on a ONE-OFF job.

but if you can do some sweet talking and get in good.....sometimes its a 6 pack.....lol

-J