Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

DIY Vinyl Wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010 | 09:27 AM
bluz370

Can anyone confirm the thickness of vinyl needed? Is it for sure 2mil? also Is there a certain type to look for for a flat color?
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:23 PM
seekanddestroy

I really would like to see this thread not get locked. Robbins doesn't like vinyl wrap thats fine, He voiced his opinion thats also fine. I respect his opinion but I am really tired of hearing it.

BACK on topic,

This looks like a really fun thing to attempt is there any more info available on type of vinyl used etc? I ordered a sample of matte black vinyl and couldn't stand the way it looked it was also super expensive, I think the BMW guy said he paid $120 or whatever I could live with that.

Heres my car and what I would want the vinyl to look like,

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 5061
Size:  107.0 KB
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:35 PM
MarvinMartian

So, if I put vinyl (clear) on my front bumper, front half of my hood, mirrors and fenders to protect them from road-borne debris and insects, I'm being smart.

If I extend that protection across much more of the car, and maybe have a little creative fun in the process by switching up the colors a bit, I'm stupid?

This car modding stuff is beyond me.
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:38 PM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

There we go - clean it up some.

If you dont like it - you dont like. If you do - you do...

first and only warning.

Carry on...

oh and btw - I think it looks great!
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:40 PM
Ronin82

Originally Posted by c0ld29
that looks awesome, and if he wanted he can easily remove it and his original paint is still there...

I've also seen so many flat black cars (like R8s, bentleys, lambos) and I don't think they are on the same level as your 02 civic.
Originally Posted by z2g
The vinyl is removable
Originally Posted by kaspann
Correct. But it will not be as durable. Road rock could have you "re-vinyling". Which is far better than re-painting!!
ssssso..... you can vinyl it, remove it, and have no effect on the paint or clear coat underneath?????
Old 04-29-2010 | 01:59 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default vinyl

correct.
I would assume the best vinyl is 3m, and thier dinoc stuff is actually for archtiectural design, building panels, board rooms etc. Its very durable, they say 7 years.

Yes when you remove it, the paint has been completely protected from UV and discoloration.

Its NOT easy to remove tho. Lots of heat, breaks into smaller pieces etc... but still, its a DIY, and you wont have to pay for a new paint job or leave it to a pro etc.. just takes patience, a few carefuly used credit card edges and some wd40 and a heat gun.

I was about to pay someone to do this, but after playing w the dinoc carbon, im so down to do this myself.
My reason bieng that I run a very low kit and the valet guys beat it up on a regular basis.

Now i can strip the leading edge of my bumper/skirt and redo it..even if they take a chunk out, i can repair it myself and be 100% again in a weekend.

And my reactions from friends are about the same.. 50 percent hate the idea, the other 50 love it.

AND im going to use parts of a veilside wide v3 kit.. and that kit REALLY seems to get ppl mad around here... haha.

Do what ever you want.
Old 04-29-2010 | 02:44 PM
z2g

I just ordered some from Don the vinyl guy on this forum and going to wrap my car. will post pics when i get it going. hopefully soon
Old 04-29-2010 | 03:10 PM
User 42426

Is your car painted matte black or satin? Looks satin.
Originally Posted by seekanddestroy
I really would like to see this thread not get locked. Robbins doesn't like vinyl wrap thats fine, He voiced his opinion thats also fine. I respect his opinion but I am really tired of hearing it.

BACK on topic,

This looks like a really fun thing to attempt is there any more info available on type of vinyl used etc? I ordered a sample of matte black vinyl and couldn't stand the way it looked it was also super expensive, I think the BMW guy said he paid $120 or whatever I could live with that.

Old 04-29-2010 | 07:13 PM
seekanddestroy

Its more satin then matte. I mixed the paint myself though so it doesnt come with a "label"
Old 04-29-2010 | 07:50 PM
robbinsj

BACK on topic,

lmao I can respect that, tks for del all my post mods.

Look people, I state my opinion and if you do not like it your get replied to. Just the way I roll, I do not ignore the ignorant.

Oh and mods at least issue me a warning/ban next time so I know your going behind me and cleaning up. tks
Old 04-29-2010 | 07:52 PM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by MarvinMartian
So, if I put vinyl (clear) on my front bumper, front half of my hood, mirrors and fenders to protect them from road-borne debris and insects, I'm being smart.

If I extend that protection across much more of the car, and maybe have a little creative fun in the process by switching up the colors a bit, I'm stupid?

This car modding stuff is beyond me.
not at all, seems your just on top of the trend.

vinyl the world "VVB united"
Old 04-29-2010 | 07:53 PM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
There we go - clean it up some.

If you dont like it - you dont like. If you do - you do...

first and only warning.

Carry on...

oh and btw - I think it looks great!
People should simple not reply to me if they do not want a reply back. Tks for cleaning it up to what u like.

Last edited by robbinsj; 04-29-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2010 | 07:57 PM
robbinsj

Its more satin then matte. I mixed the paint myself though so it doesnt come with a "label"
looks good, like this route more.
Old 04-29-2010 | 09:51 PM
seekanddestroy

Thanks dude. It was a pain in the *** to get the color right I painted that car 6 times!!!! Unfortunately I have to paint the car again thus the reason I am POSSIBLY considering wrapping this time around. I haven't seen a wrap that looks as nearly as good as my paint unfortunately.
Old 04-30-2010 | 01:43 AM
robbinsj

Thanks dude. It was a pain in the *** to get the color right I painted that car 6 times!!!! Unfortunately I have to paint the car again thus the reason I am POSSIBLY considering wrapping this time around. I haven't seen a wrap that looks as nearly as good as my paint unfortunately.
damn 6 times, do you own a paint shop? Yea I see what your saying, the wrap looks great at the glance but not **** like ur paint. Must be why it rubbed me wrong. Keep us posted friend.
Old 04-30-2010 | 10:32 AM
seekanddestroy

I will theres been some significant changes since this picture.

I don't own a paint shop in fact me and a buddy built a paint booth in his shop to get the job done. My Z is 100% home made

Thats why it took 6 times lol
Old 04-30-2010 | 10:41 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by robbinsj
nice work but honesty I think that should be reserved for the civic mod community. I think he took an amazing machine and down graded it to the MSRP of my 02 Si.
this coming from the guy that put replica bride race seats into his car and asked why fake seats are unsafe

Last edited by Chebosto; 04-30-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2010 | 11:11 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Chebosto
this coming from the guy that put replica bride race seats into his car and asked why fake seats are unsafe
this.
Old 04-30-2010 | 01:36 PM
dkmesa350z

Originally Posted by z2g
I just ordered some from Don the vinyl guy on this forum and going to wrap my car. will post pics when i get it going. hopefully soon
How much material did you buy? I tried to pick up a few yards and he thought I wanted a few feet lol.
Old 04-30-2010 | 04:28 PM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by Chebosto
Your comparing a seat to a seat and I am comparing a condom to paint. It is not the same thing and it does not hold the quality of paint nor the look or paint.

Cheap shot Chebosto considering you nor anyone can provide a single example of a replica seat failing and causing injury due to it being a replica seat.

Honestly I think your just butt hurt that you paid $$$ and I paid $ and we both get the same out of our purchase. I am very sorry BRIDE bent you over for a couple of rounds and your butt hurt from it. I forgive you for waisting money but can your forgive yourself?

The first step to recovery is admitting your a crack head and learning from it. Stay positive thou and I am sure you will be just fine.

Quick Reply: DIY Vinyl Wrapping