Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of BumperFarm's Top Secret diffuser replica (pictures included)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
flynbrin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the quality looks great
Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by winchman
Is any of that REAL carbon fiber? It looks like vinyl wrap over steel and plastic.
It's real

And it looks pretty good to me
Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Saudi

i like everything but the flimsy looking wings on the side, or generators, or whatever they are... but the main part is sexy
Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 PM
NismoZ_840

Sweet, the difuser flow great with the side skirts! WIth the drop, wheels, tasteful accessories you took it from attractive girl next door to major hottie.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
Sweet, the difuser flow great with the side skirts! WIth the drop, wheels, tasteful accessories you took it from attractive girl next door to major hottie.
thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM
J's 350z!

Nice Calin! That looks so much better than the tuck you had before!! Thats sick!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
Is any of that REAL carbon fiber? It looks like vinyl wrap over steel and plastic.
Hater in the house!!

Damn, that's maybe the most ignorant comment I have read in awhile.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

looks nice. Did you have any problems with the car already having a bumper tuck?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
looks nice. Did you have any problems with the car already having a bumper tuck?
Not really. I removed the zip ties I used for the bumper tuck and that flap got stuck "tucked" over time, but I just pulled it down with my hand while mounting the diffuser and now it stays down.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, you're never going to clean your exhaust are you?

Bring it to my house and I will wash it for you. LOL!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Damn, you're never going to clean your exhaust are you?

Bring it to my house and I will wash it for you. LOL!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 PM
ZKansasZ

very nice, Calin!
you have any picture without the two sides?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by ZKansasZ
very nice, Calin!
you have any picture without the two sides?
No, sorry
Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a couple of my observations...

1. the aluminum brackets that come with it need serious work. They are of cheap aluminum, very thin, and the holes still had crazy burrs on it. i.e. rough finish. do yourself a favor and make your own using my measurements for the 'correct' fitment...Calin had some brackets made at a local machine shop that were of the same grade aluminum of the real brackets and they fit 10x better. plus more sturdy and it kept the leading edge of the diffuser rock solid after it was properly torqued down.

2. the diffuser body it self is pretty good for a replica.. mostly a single layer of CF ontop of several layers of FRP... just like the real one.. i put it up next to mine and the shape is pretty decent. the leading edge of the diffuser is slightly bent inward, this is due to their molding process that they used. it should be straight up, but instead it is bend inward (toward the exhaust) not too annoying but yet not the cleanest, may affect muffler clearance pedending on what exhaust you have.. Calin had Greddy Evo2 twin canisters and it fit fine. the main body is a dull finish, there is no clear coat. i would recommend a clear coat to 'protect' the finish.. and possibly prevent any yellowing. i dont know if they use an UV protectant inside the resin that was used.

3.vortex generators were slightly mis-shapen, i.e. they are not 100% symmetrical. Driver side was a little longer, slightly more fiberglass matting (i.e. heavier) that on the passenger side. mounting area where the three holes that attach to the main diffuser needed work, again this is due to the person making these things putting it out of the mold too fast as the mounting flange is slightly off, (and slightly thick with gelcoat/resin) you can't really tell unless it was off the car..

4. Z brackets are definitely not the best finish. they get the job done, it can't be seen, but when take it on/off as often as i do, a good fitting Z bracket is beneficial. i highly recommend getting this piece redone in a bent aluminum bracket to improve side to side rigidity and repeated install/de-install improvement. we had to do some serious pushing/pulling to get the mounting holes on the Z bracket and diffuser to line up correctly...

5. U bracket that is for mount the center of the diffuser is also not of the best finish. depending on where you place it on the rear bumper, it is SUPER difficult to get the mounting bolts through the holes. to get the nut to stay in place, i used some JBweld to hard mount the nut on the inside of the ubracket so that i could just concentrate on getting the bolt to mate up with it w/o having to hold the wrench in place.

6. hardware.. ditch the hardware that comes with it and get real Stainless steel bolts/nuts from mcmaster-carr or a legit hardware store.. the bolts that came with it were Zinc plated and were like 11mm or some off size. typical is m8 10mm head.. that is just my preference.. you can make due with what it came with. HOWEVER you will need two additional m8head lock nut or flange nuts to attach the aluminum brackets to the pre-existing studs that are on the car.. luckily i have a box full of misc hardware that i used.. the kit does not come with them, so you will need to get a pair to properly mount the brackets.

final thoughts: for $7xx, it offers an economical alternative. however installation would have been MUCH faster if the mounting solutions (Z,U, aluminum) brackets were made cleaner and to tighter specifications.. i.e. symmetrical.. it is obvious that who ever made the pieces were sloppy on the original mold. you will have to pre-mount these brackets as i'll be assuming each piece will be unique and mount differently for each instance.

Last edited by Chebosto; 06-18-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 PM
RedlineAZ

NICE MAN!!!!! Looks amazing, your car is an inspiration for sure. I love what you did with it, very tasteful. As soon as my car is back from paint, a photoshoot is in order
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
calin
Banned

Thanks Davis!! And I gotta say, you have one of the cleanest redlines on this forum also
Old 06-18-2010, 01:54 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review Cheston.. hope they're considered for the next production.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Sweet looks good
Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 AM
08panna

carbon looks great. good quality too. but mainly, i want your wheels Trade for a completely tricked out Rock River AR-15? lol
Old 06-18-2010, 04:55 AM
JDSMotoring
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good man...i just put my top secret one on last wk and i love it as well

Quick Reply: My review of BumperFarm's Top Secret diffuser replica (pictures included)