Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z w/ Body Kit and Wheels Installed (full details + pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow looks great! You should meet up with us other Michigan folk sometimes
Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 PM
pfft

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
looks awesome! How many miles do you have on the Hankooks and how do you like them? Steering response, comfort, rain grip, etc?
I have about 4,500 miles on the Hankooks. Now, I only have the stock tires to compare them to and they are hands down way better then the stock tires. In general, I find them to be very responsive and tight. They don't slip out in 2nd gear going around turns...you really have to crank the wheel and gun it in 2nd to spin around. Comfort seems fine to me. No compliants. Rain control is as good as anything I've driven. Overall, for the price, I would recommend them and buy them again.

Originally Posted by AznSky
wow looks great! You should meet up with us other Michigan folk sometimes
Thanks man, and yeah, if there's a Z meeting going on somewhere or w/e, let me know. I live in Lansing, MI.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfft
I have about 4,500 miles on the Hankooks. Now, I only have the stock tires to compare them to and they are hands down way better then the stock tires. In general, I find them to be very responsive and tight. They don't slip out in 2nd gear going around turns...you really have to crank the wheel and gun it in 2nd to spin around. Comfort seems fine to me. No compliants. Rain control is as good as anything I've driven. Overall, for the price, I would recommend them and buy them again.

Thanks man, and yeah, if there's a Z meeting going on somewhere or w/e, let me know. I live in Lansing, MI.
Appreciate it, man. I may have to give them a try.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pfft
So, a lot of people have recommended dropping the car, to which I agree. Now in my original post I mentioned the Eibach Pro Kit Springs (app. $225 and 1" drop) and another option I was considering was the Hotchkis Lowering Springs (app. $190 and 3/4" drop - slightly less of a drop, which might be a good idea). To those who have dropped their Z...what are some things you suggest and what might you have done differently if anything? Thanks.
I went with Hotchkis springs because at the time I was using the Z as my daily driver and wanted a mild drop. I actually wouldn't recommend them because of a wheel gap issue I have on my front driver side. Maybe it was installed incorrectly, or just didn't settle correctly or something, but the wheel gap in my drivers side front is larger than passenger front, and both are larger than the gap in the rear. It's subtle, but enough to make me feel like the car is leaning backwards when it's sitting still, not to mention how much worse it probably gets under heavy acceleration. Basically I lost that slightly 'raked forward' look that the Z has from the factory. Looking to switch to different springs or coilovers soon.

I realize it's a very subtle thing....but basically I like the stance of the car at stock ride height more than I do with these springs (from front to back).

Here are some pictures for your reference:
Name:  IMG_0396.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0355.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  87.8 KB

In the second pic, the picture is taken with the car sitting basically level, but the car sits kind of flat instead of having that slight, aggressive slope forward. I dunno, am I nuts?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That flat look vs sloping forward is just dependent on how much you drop the rear.

I have a Hotchkis kit and I was pretty satisfied but it barely dropped the rear. I cut the spring perches 0.5" in the rear to make the car sit more level.

If I were to do it over again, I would get the Eibach pro kit for a nice level drop.

Both kits will not drop the car too much - no need for aftermarket camber arms and less stress on stock struts.

RE your Hankooks, how much life would you say is left after those 4500 miles? I might be ordering a pair tonight.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM
pfft

Thanks for the comments to those regarding the lowering springs. Helpful

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
RE your Hankooks, how much life would you say is left after those 4500 miles? I might be ordering a pair tonight.
Well, I don't tear on them too much so I expect a lot of life still. Also, a lot of the driving has been highway. I suppose if you do donuts everyday and peel out on every stop light no tire will last as long as it should, but I only do that on special occasions (i.e. with girls
Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM
gshadyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good
Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

hey pfft, just shooting you a link on wheel sealant I put on my wheels. Doesnt affect the matte finish.

https://my350z.com/forum/repairing-a...l-sealant.html
Old 07-10-2010, 10:50 PM
pfft

Originally Posted by vex008
hey pfft, just shooting you a link on wheel sealant I put on my wheels. Doesnt affect the matte finish.

https://my350z.com/forum/repairing-a...l-sealant.html
Thanks vex, I'll have to read up on that sealant, but if it helps protect against stone chips, then I'm in. I will say that the advan rs-d in matte black does stone chip pretty easily. I picked up some matte black touch-up paint that works really well, but if I can prevent chips that would be sweet. Thanks bro.