Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03-08 350z 100% led headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM
FliPPER_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I like it, but I hate to burst the bubble here.. whats the lumen rating on each LED? I do alot of LED work myself but 10mm LEDs are just not bright enough to light up the road.Maybe with some optics and lens, but still very difficult.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM
RoTors350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting. Good luck. Half the fun is trying to figure out the stuff so don't let them bring you down and make you want to give up. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by Armed Ferret
Just the turn signal mod would be tempting.

Let me know what you had in mind and I can see what I can do for you.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by Waizzz
I can appreciate the work but this is not very attractive at all.

You should have integrated a circular modification IMO (like this):

To each his/her own ya know.... I can appreciate what you are saying. I too love the q45 retrofit. On the other hand, it has been done, I am trying to pioneer something new and unique for the Z. Something NOT done yet, Yes it may be more difficult or take more time than most people would like or have the interest to take on, but if achieved properly this is how new and exciting custom product and designs become available. A good example is the q45 retrofit. If someone out there did not have the imagination, talent and a little bit of confidence in there ability to visualize a project and then accomplish it we would never have seen that fine example of ingenuity. I'm sure they had their share of people telling them it couldn't be done, but never the less now there is more then one Z running the q45 retrofit. I think once I get them finished and installed on my Z so everyone can see how well they flow with the rest of the car then opinions may change. The pics of them off the Z even though nice do not do justice for how they look in real life.

Thanks for checking them out and commenting
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
^ Those are from Q45s, no? There's at least 2 people with retrofitted headlights (I don't know if the above car makes it 3 or not), it looks like. I always liked those.

OP, I really like the uniqueness of your headlights. I agree with the above concerns regarding proper cut off, but design and creativity-wise, your project takes the cake (just as cool as the Q45 retrofitting).
Originally Posted by Zero260
I think they look good. I'd rock a set of these.

hurry up and finish a pair and I'll be your guinea pig for testing
Originally Posted by brandon3434
In for the better pics on a z...Cool idea

Thank you!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by vex008
1meanz,
good stuff once again.
Look forward to see this mounted.
Thank you, vex....

for checking them out and keeping up the support.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

quite a number of people didnt like the q45 mod either
but as said, to each his own
Some good shots of them installed and off during the day would probably do some justice as well.
the closeup while off shot of the 1st set if tailights you did is what got me sold. still putting budget in order to get those.

Last edited by vex008; 08-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
cool...

i'm glad to see someone with talent, plenty of time and the will to take on something this BIG!
i say bring it on, screw those million dollar optics facilities, lol!

subscribed...
GL<
Zquicksilver
Thank you, I agree, most big companies and ideas started small and with out determination and perseverance they would have stayed small too.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by FliPPER_Z
Nice! I like it, but I hate to burst the bubble here.. whats the lumen rating on each LED? I do alot of LED work myself but 10mm LEDs are just not bright enough to light up the road.Maybe with some optics and lens, but still very difficult.

These are a work in progress and this is the first test set so things can be changed such as leds for more lumen. As of right now there are 2500 lumen of light output per headlight @ 8000k. I am not sure what the lumen is of a stock 06 projector, I will have to look it up...Maybe 2900-3400 lumen @ 4300k-4500k...That's just a guess... If that is the case it would not take much to upgrade the leds some and reach that lumen.As for the cut of or anti glare shield, That has been a question since the beginning of this project and one I am still working on. I am hopping that I have or can get the angle right so they are not blinding oncoming traffic but still gets the light out far enough to safely see.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JHP_IwFOZgQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JHP_IwFOZgQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I posted the above earlier, you must have just missed it........ 10mm leds can put out allot of light when bundled into a group. A big enough group of leds can equal up to the same lumen output as some of your more expensive xenon or hid kits if done right

Let me know if this helps

Last edited by 1 MEAN Z; 08-17-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
FliPPER_Z

maybe you can try using some optics like these..
Old 08-25-2010, 03:11 PM
1 MEAN Z

Default Update: Led cutoffs

Still working on the prototype headlights. I have been messing with a few ideas for the cut off on the low beams for the led 350z headlights.Just thought I would stop in and give a little update on what we have so far.

The pics below are of just 1 of the leds we use in the 350z prototype headlights.
Just trying to give you an idea of what we have come up with. It still may need a little tweaking to get exactly right, especially once this is applied to the 8 leds that make up the low beams. But as you can see we were able to produce a cut off line in the output of the led. Keep in mind this is only 1 of the leds and it is shinning about 3-5 feet from the wall. I will keep you updated as we progress...

Led with no cut off...

Led with cut off shield...
Old 08-29-2010, 01:07 AM
idontcare4

looks real good I say.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have to say it's a very good effort, but honestly it made me lawl when I saw it. You need to do some research into different types of leds, and the required optics they need to achieve a proper lighting pattern. Reseach the new Audi R8 headlights, and you'll see how much work you have ahead of you.

-Acree
Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a bad idea.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice work. it must be stupid bright.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Tullio

I think this is a really cool project. Looking forward to the finished product.

I can't stand that people keep saying "do research" and "it's a lot of work".

Sounds like you have done your research and know very well just how much work it is.

Seems like people don't understand the concept of work in progress.

I say your doing great!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 AM
HotZauce

Cool project, keep working on it!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by Acree
I do have to say it's a very good effort, but honestly it made me lawl when I saw it. You need to do some research into different types of leds, and the required optics they need to achieve a proper lighting pattern. Reseach the new Audi R8 headlights, and you'll see how much work you have ahead of you.

-Acree
when this guy talks about LED's, you should listen
Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
FliPPER_Z

Originally Posted by Tullio
I can't stand that people keep saying "do research" and "it's a lot of work".

Sounds like you have done your research and know very well just how much work it is.
sounds like you dont know much about LEDs ...We didnt mean to sound negative in any way. When I say we, Im including myself and Acree.... we just suggested to look into a different kind of LED .

High Power LEDs have a totally different learning curve that the conventional low power LEDs. Voltage and Current Drivers, Proper Heatsink/Cooling , Thermal Management ,optic lenses and probably more...

To the OP, look into LUXEON Altilon LEDs, a few of these with proper optics will be more than bright enough..

Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Tullio

Smile

Originally Posted by FliPPER_Z
sounds like you dont know much about LEDs ...We didnt mean to sound negative in any way. When I say we, Im including myself and Acree.... we just suggested to look into a different kind of LED .
Well, I never claimed to know anything about LED's.

And ideas and helpful suggestions are the reason for a public forum. Again, no problem there.

My point was that unnecessarily negative comments are discouraging.

Originally Posted by Acree
it made me lawl when I saw it
was not a very nice thing to say.

A few years back I designed and built my own custom air suspension controller that utilized 4 ultrasonic proximity sensors to detect the ground in motion and send the information back to a custom circuit board connected to an LCD display and hidden control panel wired up for manual override using the cars windows switches. It had auto leveling, ground collision detection and avoidance and user changeable parameters.

Encouragement, positive thinking and constructive help was priceless.

BTW, that is one bad-*** looking LED you posted.

Last edited by Tullio; 09-03-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 03-08 350z 100% led headlights