Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Button Start-- rip off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Colonel Sanders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Button Start-- rip off?

alright, i've done my fair share of searching. After all, when you're a soldier in iraq, it can sometimes be difficult to find things to occupy your precious free time... So, i've been scouring the internet, looking at things i am considering doing to my Z.

The very first thing I thought about when it came to the interior is a push-button starter. I don't mind a key, but whenever i drove my mother's seriously maxed out maxima, hers had the push button start with the key fob you just kept in your pocket. I loved that, and i'm wondering if it can be done on the Z.

I know that KPtechnologies has a PBS, but you have to use the key to turn it to ACC... this seems like wasted effort, due to the fact that if i have to use the key at all, then i'll just finish turning it....

Which brings me to this little item...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...-/270643735214

now... after stumbling across this little gem, immediately i went to work doing searches to find other websites that talk about, mention, or in any way describe the full capabilities of this item. i found maybe one, and it was in russian. Needless to say, this threw up some red flags, so i thought i'd ask in here.

anyone know anything about this, or is this just some hunkajunk?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The fundamental problem with any system like this for the 350z is the inability to start the car without the "chip" in the key in proximity to the ignition switch. I'm sure you've seen KPierson's (KPtechnology) thread here on the forum discussing his implementation of it. If not, read it and you'll understand why it is like it is. Basically our cars aren't designed for it so there's no secure way to implement it.

His thread in case you haven't seen it... https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...ton-start.html

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 10-05-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Colonel Sanders

yeah i've read the thread, but the way that ebay item displays it, it makes it appear as though the key is not required, and that is the heart of what i'm trying to get at. does that product make it so you don't need the key, and if so, how does it accomplish this without someone walking away with your car?

the more i look at it, the more flags that seem to go up. too bad nissan doesn't manufacture a keyless start that can be integrated into any nissan car, they'd make a killing.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"DoWonTek" ....lol

He has a feedback score of 2. I wouldnt buy a pack of paper clips from this dude.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The "english" is pretty broken in the text, but it doesn't say anywhere that you don't need your key in the ignition switch. It does mention that you don't have to "remove your car key box", but I'm guessing that's a reference to the ignition lock assembly, not your key.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Colonel Sanders

yeah i saw his low sellers score... too bad, something like that if it were legit would be a really good product.

oh well, it was worth looking into
Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

See this question:

Q: Is this a universal kit will it work on a 09 Dodge Challenger ?
A: Hello~ Thanks for your kind interest . Yes it wokrs on a 09 Dodge challenger, if you are interested we will send you more information throug your email . please let us know . we have installed in 09 Dodge
How on earth is it "universal" and work on both a Nissan and a Dodge? Sorry, but I don't believe it.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Augustus46

"We are the only company

has successfully installed over millions of vehicles."

I'm sold on this sentence alone!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:48 AM
Colonel Sanders

next thing you know, dowontek will be selling 350z engines, and at the bottom will be the question:

Will this work in a 09 dodge avenger?

and the reply will be:

Yes, it installed into car with wiring changes none. will also fit with 67 pinto. YOU BUY NOW! we have put this engine into millions of cars. MILLIONS. you don't even need tools, just lick the double sided tape, sniff the glue, and drop the engine in!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'd buy chit from S. Korea before China, but I doubt this thing performs half as well as it looks in the ad. Not sure how this thing would work without having the key in the ignition, and If it doesn't, you might as well just buy an s2000 start button and wire it up yourself for what they are charging.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Romanteni

Same dudes that sell Wow Gold. At least their vocabulary is the practically the same. Dam noobs can at least learn English first before trying to scam people.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM
nismo1234

Default pbs

i have what your talking about on my car. it is called the xpress kit i have it for my remote start. it works just fine but the thing is there is a lock on the steering wheel which doesnt allow you to move it otherwise i could use my remote start and just drive off, same concept as the push buton start. the key is so u could unlock the steeringwheel. the cars with push button start dont come with steering wheel locks on them. anyway if u need any more info just pm me.

Last edited by nismo1234; 10-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:44 PM
DBTre50z

Whats NOT to trust about this guy? His name is nightthugz, he must be legit
Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the key must be inserted then its really pointless.
If it were like the Maximas then we're talking.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:37 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I messaged the seller and this is what they had to say:

It will better if you send us your personal EMail address.

Our Auto-innovatio CEO is Sean from AZ , USA .

He is the guy from the Video from the 350Z touch video .

Reply with your personal email address .

Its easiest keyless button to install , we will be lauching the Touch syatem in States within this month .

Thank you,

Best Rgds
- nightthugz

And here is what they emailed me:

Hi i'm global sales director yong.
I have received an email from our agent in korea , i believe he is selling
our product on ebay, sold by seller nightthugz112,
We list it there for advertisement purposes.

Please visit our online store and get more info. And please do register to
get all the benifits.
We have all the video and product info you need.

We are launching touch button in us with in this week.
So you will get to hear about this system in 350z community soon.
I'm sure you have seen the touch button system video installed on 350z 2006 .
He is our US director. Sean kirkland.

Please call him for more info.

And to your question its yes.
It is designed to fit 350z and any other nissan model.
Easy to install compare to other brands outthere..If you do install them
which 99percent of the time it ended up destroying your car.. we do not
deal with chinese and taiwan fake brands.. ony japanese and korean.

For example when you install other brands you will need to drill the dash
borad to install the button and remove the key box or key slot to diarm
the handle lock..and plus many relays...
With touch button you can keep your car as untouched. no relays..
just the main and immobilizer by pass module and thats it.

Enough said.

please visit our site if you have more questions please call our our USA
director for more info. His number is on our website main page.

Best rgds.

yong
www.auto-innovatio.com
00821057120316 korea yong choi
1-623-341-7046 usa sean kirkland

Here is a website that did an install, its in a different language, but interesting:

http://translate.google.com/translat...E8e%26rls%3Den
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 PM
KPierson_

Here's my thought on it.

I would NEVER replace the factory key cylinder with an aftermarket pushbutton. OEM systems have fail safes in place in case the keyfob is damaged or the battery dies. If you install the system as shown and the keyfob (assuming it has one) dies you are screwed and your car won't be drivable. The same thing goes for if the system were to fail for any reason. Leave the ignition key cylinder in place and working and you'll always have it as a backup to the aftermarket system.

Secondly, the installation will require the bypassing of the mechanical steering wheel lock and the OEM security. With a system like this installed your car will be much, much easier to steal. To some this isn't important, to others it is. As your car sits right now it is virtually impossible to hot wire and drive off. After this is installed an amateur could hotwire it.

Lastly, make sure either you, or someone you know, can and is willing to install it. The steering wheel bypass will scare many professional shops away from doing the install. Without the steering wheel lock bypassed you'll still have to insert the key and turn it.

I would also like to see more pictures of the rest of the system. For instance, what the keyfob looks like and what the control module and associated wiring looks like.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:11 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by KPierson_
Here's my thought on it.

I would NEVER replace the factory key cylinder with an aftermarket pushbutton. OEM systems have fail safes in place in case the keyfob is damaged or the battery dies. If you install the system as shown and the keyfob (assuming it has one) dies you are screwed and your car won't be drivable. The same thing goes for if the system were to fail for any reason. Leave the ignition key cylinder in place and working and you'll always have it as a backup to the aftermarket system.

Secondly, the installation will require the bypassing of the mechanical steering wheel lock and the OEM security. With a system like this installed your car will be much, much easier to steal. To some this isn't important, to others it is. As your car sits right now it is virtually impossible to hot wire and drive off. After this is installed an amateur could hotwire it.

Lastly, make sure either you, or someone you know, can and is willing to install it. The steering wheel bypass will scare many professional shops away from doing the install. Without the steering wheel lock bypassed you'll still have to insert the key and turn it.

I would also like to see more pictures of the rest of the system. For instance, what the keyfob looks like and what the control module and associated wiring looks like.
I understand your concern, I had this system on my Z it was awesome to say the least. The only reason I changed it out was to go with the upgraded ST800 which is a keyless push button start system with proximity sensing alarm. First let me just say installing one of these systems does not make it easier to hot wire your vehicle. These systems leave the factory immobilizer in place so factory immobilizer security features are not interrupted in any way.

There is no need to take out your key cylinder to install these units. You can simply cover the ignition cylinder with some abs plastic and make it look like it is not there at all. The ST800 actually comes with a key cylinder cap that can be mounted directly over the factory key cylinder and then you mount your push button over that. Then if for some reason your system happens to need to be serviced you would simply pop the key cylinder cover off and use a factory key to start your vehicle. These systems also have fail safes enabling you to start your vehicle if the key fob happens to go bad from a dead battery or if the entire system goes out.

Yes, the steering wheel lock is bypassed by using the other end of your cut ignition key, placing it in the cylinder and leaving it in the Acc position. This allows the push button engine start system to control your Acc power flow and also allows for the steering wheel to be unlocked. Since there is no RF chipped end on the key it can not start your vehicle, this is only to allow for what I mentioned earlier. If by chance an install shop did not want to do this step it is easy for you to do after they install the rest of the system. After pulling the vehicle out of the install shop simply put the cut key in the ignition pop the key cylinder cover on and you are done. As long as they install the rest of the system properly you should have no problem.

You can find all the info you need on these systems including more pics, all of the installation manuals and wiring diagrams at

www.auto-innovatio.com
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 AM
KPierson_

Originally Posted by 1 MEAN Z
I understand your concern, I had this system on my Z it was awesome to say the least. The only reason I changed it out was to go with the upgraded ST800 which is a keyless push button start system with proximity sensing alarm. First let me just say installing one of these systems does not make it easier to hot wire your vehicle. These systems leave the factory immobilizer in place so factory immobilizer security features are not interrupted in any way.
If the factory immobilizer feature is not interrupted in any way how does the car start without a chipped key in the ignition? It HAS to have a bypass installed. On 99% of bypasses out there simply grounding the right wire completely defeats the OEM security.

Leaving a blank key in the ignition coupled with the security bypass installed under the dash makes it even easier to steal the car - they just have to manipulate one wire and turn the key!

For some people (including myself) the pros outweigh the cons I am just providing the information that many companies that offer these products are not willing to share.

What kind of fail safe is built in? I'm not familar with the product you talked about, but after a quick look at their site it looks like they are replacing the ignition switch on every install they do. Again, in my opinion, that is asking for trouble down the road.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:20 AM
1 MEAN Z

Originally Posted by KPierson_
If the factory immobilizer feature is not interrupted in any way how does the car start without a chipped key in the ignition? It HAS to have a bypass installed. On 99% of bypasses out there simply grounding the right wire completely defeats the OEM security.

Leaving a blank key in the ignition coupled with the security bypass installed under the dash makes it even easier to steal the car - they just have to manipulate one wire and turn the key!

For some people (including myself) the pros outweigh the cons I am just providing the information that many companies that offer these products are not willing to share.

What kind of fail safe is built in? I'm not familiar with the product you talked about, but after a quick look at their site it looks like they are replacing the ignition switch on every install they do. Again, in my opinion, that is asking for trouble down the road.
I hear ya, There is usually a way around almost every security system on the market today but to be fair your security system is only as good as the installer that installed it. You should never install any components of your alarm system or this system under the dash,were lets face it, it would be every ones first place to look. What I meant by your factory immobilizer is not interrupted in any way is that when you shut the car off and leave it the key immobilizer is still working, there for not allowing anyone to start the car unless they have the chipped key or your key fob to disarm the alarm and allow the push button or touch button system to be activated. This system is exactly like a remote start system when starting the vehicle it uses the bypass box to send the signal to the immobilizer receiving antenna allowing the vehicle to start. It is all explained in this thread here.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ty-system.html

When I did alarm installs back in the day I made it a point to install all of the components of the system in another locations in the vehicle and run all of your wiring up to the location it needs to be hooked in at. I would tape all wires with electrical tape ahead of time and run them along the stock wiring of the vehicle, most of the time in the OEM plastic wire loom then tape it back up as if it was never touched. It defeats the point of adding a security system if the system it self is not secure, ya know what I mean?

You just have to find a legit ,trust worthy shop or friend that knows what they are doing to install something like this.

Maybe I do not understand what you mean by replacing the ignition switch, but as I said I have had this system and I now have the ST800 in my Z and the ignition is still intact and I can still use a key to start my car if I would like.....