Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pillar air curtain?????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:49 PM
pshea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pillar air curtain?????????

I was wondering if someone can tell me if they have disabled the D/S pillar air curtain. The reason why I ask is I have the three gauge pillar pod installed and don't like the thought of the air curtain going off and throwing the assy in my face.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't the side airbag in the B-pillar, not the A-pillar.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 02-26-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
pshea

I may be mistaking, but when I removed the pillar cover it really looked like a air bag there. As well in the instructions it stated that the 350 had the air bag there (go figure, they never stated this before I bought it).
Old 02-26-2011, 05:09 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought it was in the headliner? Anyways if it is in the A pillar wouldn't the gauges be pushed into the windshield when the airbag deploys? If it really concerns you that much just disconnect the battery and unplug the airbag.

Last edited by sportbiketed; 02-26-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM
pshea

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
I thought it was in the headliner? Anyways if it is in the A pillar wouldn't the gauges be pushed into the windshield when the airbag deploys? If it really concerns you that much just disconnect the battery and unplug the airbag.

Ya thats what I was wondering, if I can and not have to worry about throwing a code or disabeling the rest of the system.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM
sportbiketed

Your SRS light will be on, it wont affect anything else.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 AM
pshea

OK thank you.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Nebiros

False. If the SRS light is on, your entire air bag system is disabled and will not deploy in the event of a crash.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
pshea

Originally Posted by Nebiros
False. If the SRS light is on, your entire air bag system is disabled and will not deploy in the event of a crash.
Thats kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure. Anyhow I was further looking at the system and what I thought was the air bag is actually the anchor for it, the actual curtain is in the b-pillar.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought the plastic A-pillar trims from a 350Z that had all the air bags go off and they were completely undamaged..... It looked like the air bag was above the side window mostly and not really along the A-pillar and windshield.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 PM
sportbiketed

You're wrong noob. My side curtain airbag deployed while my srs light was on. My light is on due to the aftermarket steering wheel and seats that I installed.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

You're wrong noob. My side curtain airbag deployed while my srs light was on. My light is on due to the aftermarket steering wheel and seats that I installed.
Most vehicles when in fault mode, the airbags do not work.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Nebiros

Noob? really? Resorting to name calling because I stated you weren't correct in that it "won't affect anything else"? Whatever gets your jollys off I suppose.

You may want to read your owners manual

"If the supplemental air bag warning light is on, it could mean that the supplemental front air bag, supplemental side air bag, curtain side-impact air bag systems and/or pre-tensioner seat belt will not operate in an accident."

I work on over 100 cars a month, from Porsche to Geo... and everything in between. If there is a hard fault with the airbag system, it is designed not to deploy.

Now, OP... Here is the location of your curtain air bag. You don't have to worry about your a-pillar blowing up in your face because beneath the a-pillar is just the retaining strap for the bag. However, your a-pillar may come loose during an accident if it is severe enough to have the bag pull against the retaining strap.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
sportbiketed

Noob? really? Resorting to name calling because I stated you weren't correct in that it "won't affect anything else"? Whatever gets your jollys off I suppose.

You may want to read your owners manual

"If the supplemental air bag warning light is on, it could mean that the supplemental front air bag, supplemental side air bag, curtain side-impact air bag systems and/or pre-tensioner seat belt will not operate in an accident."

I work on over 100 cars a month, from Porsche to Geo... and everything in between. If there is a hard fault with the airbag system, it is designed not to deploy.

Now, OP... Here is the location of your curtain air bag. You don't have to worry about your a-pillar blowing up in your face because beneath the a-pillar is just the retaining strap for the bag. However, your a-pillar may come loose during an accident if it is severe enough to have the bag pull against the retaining strap.
Thats nice, I also used to be a tech. You're still wrong for saying that all the airbags are disabled if one is unplugged.

And yes I get entertainment out of name calling on the internet, it makes my work day go by faster.

Last edited by sportbiketed; 02-27-2011 at 08:30 PM.