Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Antenna(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 09:14 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grutter.... question for you.....

I bought the PMP shorty... as shown in the pic below. I am now interested in even a shorter antenna.

Question to ---->>>> grutter ....

Where did you buy your antenna (as shown in BlueBat's picture) ??

I tried all the sites suggested by Bat... but could not find anything !
Attached Thumbnails Shorty Antenna(PICS)-z-in-garage.jpg  
Old 12-07-2003, 05:50 AM
grutter

Default Re: grutter.... question for you.....

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
I bought the PMP shorty... as shown in the pic below. I am now interested in even a shorter antenna.

Question to ---->>>> grutter ....

Where did you buy your antenna (as shown in BlueBat's picture) ??

I tried all the sites suggested by Bat... but could not find anything !
I'm still running the shorty antenna as shown in my post. That one was purchased from eBay.

I have not been able to locate either. The altimini site suggested by Bat doesn't work. The ABDRacing site works. If you search for "antenna" you'll get a few hits... but nothing that looks like Bats. I sent an email to ABDRacing, along with pics of Bat's antenna, to show them what we're looking for. Haven't heard back from them yet, but will post a source as soon as I find one.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:23 AM
grutter

Here you go !
Found this on an EVO site.

http://www.jscspeed.com/evo/body/perrin_antenna.htm

This is also an aluminum antenna, so wondering why reception of this would be better than the one I'm running. If anyone gets this, please post your opinion of reception of weak stations.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:21 AM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by grutter
Here you go !

This is also an aluminum antenna, so wondering why reception of this would be better than the one I'm running. If anyone gets this, please post your opinion of reception of weak stations.
Just ordered the TWN-Antenna-S 350Z Aluminum Antenna Mast - Short from Courtesyparts.com. They are having an "introductory price" of $14.00. Length 3 5/8". Will post on reception after install.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:04 AM
grutter

The ideal length of an FM antenna is 30.5". It was my understanding that antennas were made physically shorter by "winding" a 30.5" length of wire around a shorter length mast. So I can understand how the flexible antennas are made (although I've never cut one apart). My guess is that any solid aluminum antenna will suffer signal loss. Does anyone have access to a MB SL500 antenna to see if its aluminum or flexible ?
I've also heard that the antenna signal boosters don't work well.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:02 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by JmanZ
I have one that's a shorty...but not as small. I did was do a eBay search for IS300 antenna and if memory serves it was around $25. It's much smaller than the stock though, which I am a big fan of. Reception is crystal clear.
thanks for the info JmanZ; just ordered one like yours off ebay for 25$ (jdm is300 version). I like it a bit longer than the 3.5 inchers...they both look good but the smaller one reminds me a little of a pug dog's tail or something .
Old 12-08-2003, 04:29 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

grutter... big round of thanks for your quick response. Just ordered it.

Bat... thanks.. and thanks for the pictures that provided the incentive to get a smaller antenna.

Here you go !

Old 12-08-2003, 09:54 AM
grutter

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
grutter... big round of thanks for your quick response. Just ordered it.
Thanks..
I'm interested in your opinion of reception loss with weak stations. Please post when you get it installed.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Uber' 350

Originally posted by Selski12
Same thing I did when I got mine. Replaced it with the S2K OEM one.

But after seeing the ones on Mercedes at the auto show...

makes me want to get a smaller one.
Thought about the SL one too, I looked @ my buddy's and its a female adapter, not a male like the Z so it would include some modification.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:41 PM
grutter

Originally posted by Uber' 350
Thought about the SL one too, I looked @ my buddy's and its a female adapter, not a male like the Z so it would include some modification.
Male vs Female ???
It's just a threaded stud.... Threaded into the base, and the antenna is female. Thread in the antenna, and the base is female. I don't understand. It's only the thread size you need to be concerned with.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:10 PM
PropaGanda

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Shorty Antenna(PICS)

Fitment left a very small gap. I used a black o-ring to fill, so I could tighten down nicely and eliminate any space. Totally unnoticeable. Reception isn't real bad... just noticeable on weaker stations.
Great fix for my antenna gap!!! I got my new antenna a few days ago and noticed a bit of gap so I will definitely give this a try. I got an aluminum antenna off of eBay. It comes with 3 different pole lengths so that you can change them out for different signal strengths. If you are going on a long trip and you want to pick up more stations you change to the longer or medium mast. The long mast is still much shorter than the stock antenna. For everyday around town kinda stuff you stick with the short mast. I have noticed some reception loss in weaker stations like 95.5 and such. The antenna looks way better than the stocker and I haven't seen anyone else with it! I love the adjustability that it brings over the stocker and replacements such as the IS300 or S2K antenna.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:05 AM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by Ron Keller
Just ordered the TWN-Antenna-S 350Z Aluminum Antenna Mast - Short from Courtesyparts.com. They are having an "introductory price" of $14.00. Length 3 5/8". Will post on reception after install.
Received the 3 5/8" antenna from Courtesy late yesterday. Installed and FM reception on local stations is great. Haven't formed opinion on how it looks on a "Z". Would still like to find something black Vs chrome/stainless. Anyone tried the JSC short antenna yet?
Old 12-13-2003, 10:24 AM
grutter

Originally posted by Ron Keller
Received the 3 5/8" antenna from Courtesy late yesterday. Installed and FM reception on local stations is great.
What about reception on non-local (weaker) stations ?
Local Stations should be strong enough to come in with a coat hanger for an antenna.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:39 AM
fongster

I too have the short 3.58" antenna from CourtesyNissan. Very discreet looking. No difference in reception from either the JDM or stock antenna. Looks cleaner IMO.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:58 PM
whosdady

After seeing Grutter's I bought the one from Ebay (Germany)and like it. I had the evo style one before and like this one better. In my area the reception isn't effected but I live in a fairly large city with strong reception. The only problem I have is a hair size gap that you have to look for to see.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:08 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by fongster
I too have the short 3.58" antenna from CourtesyNissan. Very discreet looking. No difference in reception from either the JDM or stock antenna. Looks cleaner IMO.
I also have the 3 5/8" antenna from Courtesyparts. I "ditto" these remarks. However, while drying I bumped the tip and now have a "crease" approximately 1 - 1 1/2" from tip. Was able to straighten, but "crease" can be seen. Notified Courtesy! Got a rapid response from Kaleb with questions. Lets see! Courtesy has always been GREAT to deal with.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:52 PM
grutter

Originally posted by whosdady
After seeing Grutter's I bought the one from Ebay (Germany)and like it. I had the evo style one before and like this one better. In my area the reception isn't effected but I live in a fairly large city with strong reception. The only problem I have is a hair size gap that you have to look for to see.
Fitment left a very small gap. I used a black o-ring to fill, so I could tighten down nicely and eliminate any space. Totally unnoticeable.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:30 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Thanks..
I'm interested in your opinion of reception loss with weak stations. Please post when you get it installed.
grutter...

Just received the Perrin shorty...as shown in Bat's posts....

1/ antenna looks great... fits perfect..... but

2/ the reception with this antenna definitely deteriorates?@-- in Japan anyway... and I assume that radio reception on antennas is basically the same in all countries.........

FYI.........my PMP shorty had perfect reception.

3/ will use the antenna for looks ... since I play CDs... I am not a big radio fan here since most radio in Japan is junk.. and very few selections compared to the US.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:08 AM
SungNamZ

Fitment left a very small gap. I used a black o-ring to fill, so I could tighten down nicely and eliminate any space. Totally unnoticeable.
The "small gap" was an easy fix. You used a "black o-ring" while I found a flat rubber washer. Reception GREAT and looked GOOD. Unfortunately, not that strong. Until I heard something back from Courtesy, installed the antenna from emr-power.

Courtesy responded: "Our best suggestion would be to re-order. Sorry to hear of the mishap". Re-order, I don't think so! Glad the grill I ordered and install only had a minor problem.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:46 AM
mark350

After everyones good posts on the Courtesy Nissan 3 5/8 antenna I went ahead and ordered one today....will let everyone know what I think (like anyone cares) in a few days. Thanks for everybodys help....I love this site.

Quick Reply: Shorty Antenna(PICS)