Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Harnesses / Harness Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 AM
mdztuners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm not an aggressive driver, I just sometimes "test" certain things on the car, i.e. suspension/steering/throttle response, clutch engagement/disengagement etc on the street.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 AM
drivessidewayz

Oh come on, we've all had our fun on the streets at one point or another :P Instead of spending money on the harnesses, what about trading someone for their cloth seats + cash? Saves you *in general* about $1k and you get to stick to your seat

I dunno; never had leather after my Celica cuz I had the exact feeling you're describing, so perhaps my advice does not apply due to something stupid like airbag sensors or heated seats...but it is possibly an option.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 AM
mdztuners

Funny you should mention that, I was actually thinking about getting cloth seats, but if I did Id probably just get sparcos or brides.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
drivessidewayz

The thing about aftermarket seats though is that you'd still need the harnesses. I mean if money is no issue or you plan on actually racing, by all means go ahead. But for simple street driving I can say my '06 cloth seats grip just fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM
mdztuners

I would think that factory cloth would cost more than sparco cloth, no?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe this conversation is even happening.

A 215lb man should have not have the problem of sliding around in a leather seat. Even the leather seats are semi-bolstered.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM
mdztuners

I can't believe someone took the time to say that they can't believe this conversation is happening
Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM
NissanZ03

Originally Posted by drivessidewayz
The thing about aftermarket seats though is that you'd still need the harnesses. I mean if money is no issue or you plan on actually racing, by all means go ahead. But for simple street driving I can say my '06 cloth seats grip just fine.
Theres no reason why you can't use an aftermarket seat and the stock 3 point seat belt
Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to stay in your seats better, IMHO, new seats should be what you look at. Yes, more expensive than harnesses/harness bar, but the new seats would be 1. legal (harnesses in a street car may not be legal everywhere), and 2. accept the factory seat belt and 3. safer - remember, a factory seatbelt has the ability to tension itself when needed, which is not something a harness can do.

I know what you mean about moving around in the factory seat. They are nicer than many factory seats, but hardly grippy vs many of the aftermarket seats. Leather makes it worse. Factory seats are geared towards being comfortable for the widest range of potential buyers.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:57 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here you go Micheal Schumacher: http://www.cg-lock.com/autocross.html
Old 07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
mdztuners

Lol, that is pretty cool I must admit.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
plumpzz

dont waste your money if its for street use.

http://www.soloracer.com/cglock.html
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
tribal_visionz

Any of you guys have or selling an extra harness bar?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on CG Lock.

using a 4/5 pt harness on the street is not only unsafe but also really really tacky.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
kajuraelai

tacky....yes. but not any more tackier than when i wear a racing helmet to walmart
Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Scabd

What is so wrong with putting four point harnesses on a street car? I live down some really fun roads to drive and generally there isn't anyone on it. Even if you take the curves at the speed limit you still slide in your seat. So if a pair of seats and some harnesses would fix that, then what is wrong with it? It's the person that owns that gets to decide what they do with it...stop bashing and grow up.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scabd
What is so wrong with putting four point harnesses on a street car? I live down some really fun roads to drive and generally there isn't anyone on it. Even if you take the curves at the speed limit you still slide in your seat. So if a pair of seats and some harnesses would fix that, then what is wrong with it? It's the person that owns that gets to decide what they do with it...stop bashing and grow up.
hmm. perhaps you should try on a real 4 point harness instead of pretending what it's like. then you'd understand that when the upper shoulder straps are properly secured (i.e. against the chest, with minimal slack), this will severely limit your upper body and head/neck movements-- so much to the point where, on the street, you can no longer properly twist the upper torso to check your blind spots, thus making it not safe for you or your other friendly drivers next to you. unless you want to be "that guy" that doesnt give a hoot who's next to you when changing lanes.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Scabd

Yeah, I know what 4 point harnesses feel like. I ran them for 2-3 years, on the street. I just left the shoulders a little loose, since I wasn't driving like a maniac on the streets. I didn't see a point of having two types of seat belts (factory and 4 point) in my car since I ran autocross twice a month (sometimes more). So when I went to race I would tighten them up.

Personally, I wouldn't do it to my 350z. But, I respect whatever someone else wants to do to their ride. It's their vehicle you know...
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scabd
Yeah, I know what 4 point harnesses feel like. I ran them for 2-3 years, on the street. I just left the shoulders a little loose, since I wasn't driving like a maniac on the streets. I didn't see a point of having two types of seat belts (factory and 4 point) in my car since I ran autocross twice a month (sometimes more). So when I went to race I would tighten them up.

Personally, I wouldn't do it to my 350z. But, I respect whatever someone else wants to do to their ride. It's their vehicle you know...
You sorta answered your own question

Leaving the shoulders a little loose, completely defeats the purpose, and effectiveness of the harness in the event you actually hit something. It's a bit like banging the town ho and leaving the condoms on the nightstand...only to complain about child support payments 9 months down the road

Many brand harnesses are offered in clip in type - you clip them in when you have an event, you unclip them when you don't. Literally takes under 2 minutes to do to both sides. Combined with at mininum, a harness bar, and now you've actually got a setup worth something.

Sure, it's "their vehicle" - but people presumably ask questions on these forums because they don't know the answers. Or they want confirmation for what the right answer is. That is where the experience of others can help teach people the right and wrong way to do things. Knowledge and experience benefits everyone. Why do we have to respect, or even ackowledge people making potentially stupid and unsafe decisions about their car? By that same token, we should advocate people running oil lines on top of exhaust and intake manifolds. Afterall, it's their car right?

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-15-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 PM
kajuraelai

^ That ....

Quick Reply: Racing Harnesses / Harness Bars