Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Spread Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 AM
scrapser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Spread Pattern

I adjusted my headlights this weekend using a wall in an underground garage. The adjustment was painless but I noticed something about the spread pattern of each headlight and wanted to ask if it is normal.

Each light produces an "upper" line that is horizontal for a bit, then curves down before continuing as a horizontal line again. The best way to describe the curve is it looks like the shape of the tip of a steak knife if that makes sense. Both lights produce this so I'm assuming it's normal. I never noticed it before because I hardly ever drive at night and when I do my headlights never shine on anything to reveal this pattern close up.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 AM
350ZNISMO673

Pics would help
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
scrapser

Sorry no pics. I think anyone who's looked at their headlights against a wall with the car nose around 8 feet away would know what I'm talking about (assuming all headlights produce the same pattern). It should be immediately recognizable. The horizontal line begins on the left and continues to right until it reaches the centerline of the headlight beam (where the headlight is pointing straight at the wall perpendicular). At this spot, the line dips down in a curve and levels out again and continues as a straight line on to the right. The portion of the line to the left of headlight center is maybe an inch and a half higher than the right of headlight center portion of the line. Above the line is shadow, below the line is illuminated wall. Both headlights produce the exact same pattern (right to left) so in the area between both headlights you see two horizontal lines made up of the overlapping illumination. At first I thought they should at least be symetrical but perhaps it has something to do with not shining too much light at oncoming cars.

Last edited by scrapser; 09-26-2011 at 06:29 PM.