Sponsored by:

Laying Dynamat (similar products) in winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Laying Dynamat (similar products) in winter

Car is getting ready for off-season (Winter storage). I usually do all mods
during storage. Up next is laying Dynamat in preparation for some Audio project . My concern is they recommend temperature of 60 deg or warmer for proper adhession. I would be using heat gun. I called the Dynamat guys and the answer was, ( Ya but....). I was wondering how many here have done it in winter and how they held up. Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it in the winter , heat up dynomat and heat up metal , and it will be fine
Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

i did a car in the winter once in a garage as well.

60 is the LOW btw..

the installation is FAR easier and cleaner of an install when its warm, and adheres far longer as well.

can it be done, yes.

Just want to let you be aware of the downsides.. as i HATE that job of dynamatting.. rest assured that it is hella easy in summer in AZ. Stuff is like putty, easy to cut , roll, and super easy to press down once and its ON there.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem installing in cold weather..use a hair dryer to heat things up.Of course,in Atlanta it does'nt get that cold.I have not heard anyone bringing this up for awhile but PEEL&SEAL works great for the same apps as Dynamat.It sure is much cheaper.About $15 for a 24'x8" roll.I did my whole trunk well with it.The sound proofing
difference if remarkable.It cut the road noise way down.You can get it at any Lowes.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:25 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

sweet, sounds good.
I tried to use bithuthane for foundation sealing before.. turns out its carcinogenic. Glad i didnt install any.

The only thing that dynamat does better maybe is that its heavier.

Thats it.

Smells terrible too. Its asphalt based, and outgasses quite a bit for a month or two.

All that stuff is meant to do is make panels heavier, require more energy to vibrate etc

Nice find, maybe Ill do that soon. Looks pretty popular on youtube as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
JCITY
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bmccann101
sweet, sounds good.
I tried to use bithuthane for foundation sealing before.. turns out its carcinogenic. Glad i didnt install any.

The only thing that dynamat does better maybe is that its heavier.

Thats it.

Smells terrible too. Its asphalt based, and outgasses quite a bit for a month or two.

All that stuff is meant to do is make panels heavier, require more energy to vibrate etc

Nice find, maybe Ill do that soon. Looks pretty popular on youtube as well.
You are right,it will give off a smell for about a week,then its gone.
I don't know if I'd do door panels with it.Although its popular for that application.My objective was road noise from the rear which is common on the Z.It did the job.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM
beezee

Thanks for all the input. The smell?. Good thing it won't stay for long.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Row2K

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

i did it in the winter with a hairdrier and a roller. Super easy and no issues laying down in the cold garage.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Maple G

Anybody try or
Know if you could use Plasti-Dip spray for the same purpose?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
beezee

General concensus in very encouraging. Thanks. Would be a nice project to keep me
busy which is what I always look for. I have gone through some of the pics members
posted during the process. Looking to do the doors, floors, trunk (floor and hatch) and the roof. Plan on using DYNAMAT Extreme.
I don't know if it is because of the low profile nature and brand of tires but driving over paved surfaces like overpasses drive me nuts. Hope this helps reduce the noice enough to make it worthwhile
Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM
JCITY
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by Maple G
Anybody try or
Know if you could use Plasti-Dip spray for the same purpose?
This is a joke,right?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
JCITY
Banned

Default Wheels wells

Originally Posted by beezee
General concensus in very encouraging. Thanks. Would be a nice project to keep me
busy which is what I always look for. I have gone through some of the pics members
posted during the process. Looking to do the doors, floors, trunk (floor and hatch) and the roof. Plan on using DYNAMAT Extreme.
I don't know if it is because of the low profile nature and brand of tires but driving over paved surfaces like overpasses drive me nuts. Hope this helps reduce the noice enough to make it worthwhile
A major problem of road noise in the Z is from the rear wheels.
The front of the wells are in the car right behind the seats.Sound deadening in this area as well as the trunk floor beneath the spare will help.If you are working on your audio system during the winter and need to remove the carpeted covering around the inside wheel wells its a good idea to apply Dynamat or an equvilant to that area.Also,undercoating the rear wheel wells,
especially the surfaces facing toward the front of the car will further reduce
the road noise.I also applied sound deadening to the hatch .
Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...4&ddkey=Search

Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 AM
beezee

Did you try this yourself?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Maple G

Originally Posted by JCITY
This is a joke,right?
"Industrial Foam Coatings and Plastic Coatings

Acoustic and Sound Deadening, Packaging, Gaskets/Seals

Plasti Dip International is the recognized leader in flexible protective and elastomeric coatings for foam acoustics; sound deadening, noise attenuation, and sound absorption products for heavy equipment; on and off road heavy equipment; agricultural equipment; and other specialty industrial applications including packaging, seals and gaskets. "

http://www.plastidip.com/foam_plastics.php

No joke. One of it's purposes is for reducing vibration, I think it could probably work.

In searching it, it appears like others have tried it. Some liked it but some said it was cost prohibitive when there were other spray-on sound deadeners available that are less expensive.

IMO Dynamat is expensive for what it is. They took an idea (adhesive backed rubber) and made it auto specific and added 50% to the price. There are cheaper alternatives that are just as effective. Remember, you can't see the "Dynamat" logo when your door panels are back on.

Here's one I found: http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

They even list "Dynamat" for sale on their site but their own product is less than half the price.

36 sq. ft of Dynamat Extreme is $194.99

50 sq. ft of this B-quiet stuff is $84.99 or $69.99 each if you buy two.

I'm not endorsing this product it's just a comparison I found on a google search.

"Dynamat" seems to be like "Bose" in that they are both really good at marketing their product. And we know how good those "premium" Bose sound systems are at their "premium" prices.

Here's a comparison chart they had on their site. I don't know much about acoustics but they list some explanations here.

Definitions

Acoustic Loss Factor- a measure of the ability to reduce structural borne sound. It represents how much vibration related energy is absorbed by the material at a given temperature. Based on a linear scale of 0 - 1, with 0 being an undamped steel panel and 1 being a theoretically perfectly damped panel (no vibration). The higher the ALF, the more effective the material is. Also known as Damping Loss Factor (DLF)

Transmission Loss - the reduction in noise level resulting from passage through an obstruction at a given frequency. Sound transmission class (STC) is the overall measurement of the effectiveness of a material to attenuate sound. Values are expressed in decibels and as such form a logarithmic scale. The higher the transmission loss, the more effective the material is.

Absorption Coefficients - the amount of sound energy a surface absorbs and reflects at a given frequency. If we say that a surface material has an absorption coefficient of 0.25 we are saying that the surface will absorb 25% of the incident acoustic energy, while reflecting back 75% of the total acoustic energy at the specified frequency. The higher the absorption coefficient, the more effective the material is.

http://www.b-quiet.com/compare.html

Last edited by Maple G; 11-04-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try this yourself?
no, but many have and it's very affordable.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

I was big into car audio for a few years, and I've used Dynamat (regular and extreme) and Peel & Seal. If it weren't for my big discount and the fact that we stocked it at work, I wouldn't use Dynamat. Peel & Seal works great.

I also tried that bithuthane crap. A friend asked me to help him install it. It was a little harder to work with and I'm pretty sure the fumes are really bad for you. Also, it's horrible in the AZ summers. It's not rated for high temps, so it sags/droops/makes a mess. Do not want.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
beezee

Good to know there are so many cheaper but comparable options out there. Hope a few more share their reviews on the other alternatives. Started researching about the product JCITY talked about. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Good to know there are so many cheaper but comparable options out there. Hope a few more share their reviews on the other alternatives. Started researching about the product JCITY talked about. Thanks for all the info.
Yeah, that's PEEL & SEAL. It gets pretty good reviews.