Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front fender liners (bad?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removing front fender liners (bad?)

I finally put a square setup of 265-35-18's on my RPF1s (18x10.5 +15 all the way around). And i found my new tires to be a little bit wider than most 265s that i have ran.

Long story short im rubbing on my front fender liners on big bumps and its getting pretty anoying. I removed the screws on the fender so i could roll the lips a bit but im still rubbing on the liner pretty bad.

I know quite a few people that have just removed their liners but i am curious if this will cause condensation on my 08's headlights...Im pretty sure the ballasts are weather proof as well as the wiring, ive done this on other of my cars and never really had a problem. I just didnt want to drive through the rain with them off and come to find my headlights all fogged up...

Anyone have experience with this? should i worry about removing them?

ps. another thing that i have been told to try is to just cut strips out of just the top of the fender liners where they are rubbing and leave the rest of it intact..this sounds a bit more appealing to me..
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Kyle R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkster
I finally put a square setup of 265-35-18's on my RPF1s (18x10.5 +15 all the way around). And i found my new tires to be a little bit wider than most 265s that i have ran.

Long story short im rubbing on my front fender liners on big bumps and its getting pretty anoying. I removed the screws on the fender so i could roll the lips a bit but im still rubbing on the liner pretty bad.

I know quite a few people that have just removed their liners but i am curious if this will cause condensation on my 08's headlights...Im pretty sure the ballasts are weather proof as well as the wiring, ive done this on other of my cars and never really had a problem. I just didnt want to drive through the rain with them off and come to find my headlights all fogged up...

Anyone have experience with this? should i worry about removing them?

ps. another thing that i have been told to try is to just cut strips out of just the top of the fender liners where they are rubbing and leave the rest of it intact..this sounds a bit more appealing to me..
I removed both liners, but I only got condensation on the drivers side.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't your engine get hella dirty over time cuz mine did after one of my liners was damaged and I procrastinated on getting a replacement.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

removing fender liners will ruin parts of your car.

Killed my headlights.. they are not 100% sealed.. there is a vent elbow right where its closest to the tire.. one puddle, done.

They are not 100% waterproof, there is alot of wiring that is within fractions of an inch to the tire without the fender liner..

its for cars that dont get driven often.. i know as i had mine removed to put larger wheel on in the past.. im buying new ones and going back to how it was from the factory , period.

dont scarafice form for something that truly should be retained, or find a way to keep them in and push them up wher its rubbing. .
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Junkster

^hmm interesting...

I have been reading mixed opinions on this after some searching (hence my post)

I dont see how the engine bay would get any dirtier with the fender liners out though...then again i havent taken them off so i dont know what is all exposed once you remove them...I could see how removing the lower splash guards would cause excess dirt in the engine compartment though...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

its not a question of dirtier..
its a quession of your headlights bare @ss hanging within g a .25 inch of your tire.. fully exposed to all the water youwill ever drive thru.

I drove one day in light rain and puddled my headlights, as well as ruined the ballasts for my halos.

Looks like crap too imho, but i drove that way for awhile.. then looked at how close my tire actually came to all that stuff... its unreal close.. no way id do it.. im buying new fenders and new fender liners ( all were cut) to get rid of this issue. Spending 500 bucks to go back to stock.. so you can see i find it important.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by bmccann101
removing fender liners will ruin parts of your car.

Killed my headlights.. they are not 100% sealed.. there is a vent elbow right where its closest to the tire.. one puddle, done.

They are not 100% waterproof, there is alot of wiring that is within fractions of an inch to the tire without the fender liner..

its for cars that dont get driven often.. i know as i had mine removed to put larger wheel on in the past.. im buying new ones and going back to how it was from the factory , period.

dont scarafice form for something that truly should be retained, or find a way to keep them in and push them up wher its rubbing. .
This is good to know! Thanks!

Do you have any advice or ideas on how i could keep the fender liner up higher, this has me somewhat stumped...

Im thinking that if i roll the fenders flatter that this will push the liner up a bit higher, but im worried that they might eventually pop out...hmm ideas?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't drive the car everyday and it never sees rain/snow, I will def be doing what I can to protect the headlights. Might see if I can chop up the liner just to protect the headlights.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

not sure man, best bet is to take off a wheel and get in there and look.. it will be pretty self evident what your limitations are.. but yeah, i chimied in on this one fast for you.. totally frustrating to have to repair what was cut out..
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by bmccann101
not sure man, best bet is to take off a wheel and get in there and look.. it will be pretty self evident what your limitations are.. but yeah, i chimied in on this one fast for you.. totally frustrating to have to repair what was cut out..
I very much appreciate it! 08 headlights are NOT CHEAP lol...

Maybe if i get a chance ill go under there and take some pics if i come up with any solutions (other than raising my ride height )
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Erik@R/Ttuning

I could only really see doing on a car that gets driven on occasion in nice weather. Otherwise the potential problems are a little too great IMO.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 AM
JZ33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1: go to pick n pull and get a couple more fender liners.

2: cut down the middle of the stock (width of your desire) to create an opening.

3: put the spares you got over the middle after you have separated the stocks as much as you want and zip-tie (or other means of attachment) together. Then you will have more room to push it upward, so if it were originally shallow, like a C (<< that would be sideways...) then after it should be like a U (<< now its upside-down..).

no, I havent done this, and yes, I JUST came up with that.... Let me know if it works man!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Junkster

Haha, thats a great idea! Too bad i just threw out a pair of liners from my friends z31 when he came over to roll his fenders UGHHH! lol...

I may not have thrown them away though i have to check in the back yard, im pretty sure i did toss em though

What you up to this week? you wana come over and help me tackle this ?

Originally Posted by JZ33
1: go to pick n pull and get a couple more fender liners.

2: cut down the middle of the stock (width of your desire) to create an opening.

3: put the spares you got over the middle after you have separated the stocks as much as you want and zip-tie (or other means of attachment) together. Then you will have more room to push it upward, so if it were originally shallow, like a C (<< that would be sideways...) then after it should be like a U (<< now its upside-down..).

no, I havent done this, and yes, I JUST came up with that.... Let me know if it works man!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 AM
JZ33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do you still have the fender roller!? haha and ill see if i have to close at all this week, I should have some time though!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by JZ33
do you still have the fender roller!? haha and ill see if i have to close at all this week, I should have some time though!
I can borrow my friends again. He just bought the V3 Parts by max roller...it rocks!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Blu_Blur

I dont see how the engine bay would get any dirtier with the fender liners out though...then again i havent taken them off so i dont know what is all exposed once you remove them...I could see how removing the lower splash guards would cause excess dirt in the engine compartment though...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
You don't see how your engine bay might get dirtier without the fender guards?

Particles of dirt, as you know, are very small. With your car moving through the streets and freeways, the tire is going to be moving a lot of these particles.

My engine bay was friggin FILTHY after about a month of driving with no guard.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
You don't see how your engine bay might get dirtier without the fender guards?

Particles of dirt, as you know, are very small. With your car moving through the streets and freeways, the tire is going to be moving a lot of these particles.

My engine bay was friggin FILTHY after about a month of driving with no guard.
Yea i understand what your saying...i was just under the impresssion that the fender area was pretty isolated from the engine bay...guess its not?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

I've owned cars that were daily driven without fender liners... If you can figure out a way to keep them, do it! Not only does it look crappy without them when you turn the wheels, but it gets dirt/water/rocks/etc in places you wouldn't even think would be affected.

I'd leave the fender liners intact and drive for a few days. Pull the wheels off, see where it's rubbing, and trim/push/heat/whatever for clearance.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
I've owned cars that were daily driven without fender liners... If you can figure out a way to keep them, do it! Not only does it look crappy without them when you turn the wheels, but it gets dirt/water/rocks/etc in places you wouldn't even think would be affected.

I'd leave the fender liners intact and drive for a few days. Pull the wheels off, see where it's rubbing, and trim/push/heat/whatever for clearance.
Thats another option i wouldnt have even thought about! (ie heatgun)...

I think im going to try that first...hopefully the plastic is easily mallible once hot
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Blu_Blur

Yea i understand what your saying...i was just under the impresssion that the fender area was pretty isolated from the engine bay...guess its not?
There is a bit of the chassis there but if you remove the fender liners, there is enough open area for dirt, debris, leaves, water and other particulates to move around.

It even got on the top of the engine (the silver plenum part) as well as the engine cover where it says (3.5 V6). My bay is filthy however, if anything, the reasons stated by other posters is more serious as far as damaging electronics and lighting.

Quick Reply: Removing front fender liners (bad?)