Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad fitment on amuse shine skirts? im surprised..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by vex008
a little concerned since these are the same sides I am wanting to go with....but doesn't look like too hard of a fix if the body shop knew/knows what they are doing (b4 they painted them)
Obviously his shop sucks, any good body shop would know to test fit parts before they are painted.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say 80% of the aftermarket body panels I've installed have needed at least minor work. I've installed cheap stuff, mid range, and top of the line JDM. It all needs some work to fit perfectly. Some brands are better than others.

I wouldn't say his shop sucks... They might not be used to dealing with aftermarket panels. Stock side skirts would be a "paint, and bolt on" affair.

Originally Posted by vex008
a little concerned since these are the same sides I am wanting to go with....but doesn't look like too hard of a fix if the body shop knew/knows what they are doing (b4 they painted them)
Let me know if I can help you get your hands on these side skirts (or any others). Like you mentioned, the work isn't hard. I bet his shop isn't used to dealing with aftermarket panels.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; 04-19-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Knightrider

I bought the N1 kit from Shine a while back & it required minor work. Like Steve774 I drilled a hole through the skirt. After the necessary adjustments the fitment was great & it looked amazing. I would post some pics up to show you the work I had done but unfortunately I don't have my car at the moment. In any case, Shine is a very reputable company & there is no other aftermarket shop I would go to. I'm sorry to hear about your situation but I do believe all it needs is some work & you should get the flush fitment you expected. Best of luck!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM
vtecsux

Originally Posted by Ibex

Lesson learned? Dont buy fake parts.
love that plate! so true!!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I ordered Shine CF Nismo rears and the fitment was way off. The good thing is they said keep em and gave me a refund no questions asked. Ken said it must have had a bad mold. However my BausAuto JDM sides fit like my OEM skirts with no work needed just a test fit. You may want to check their's out.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM
kraZybones88

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
I ordered Shine CF Nismo rears and the fitment was way off. The good thing is they said keep em and gave me a refund no questions asked. Ken said it must have had a bad mold. However my BausAuto JDM sides fit like my OEM skirts with no work needed just a test fit. You may want to check their's out.
damn that sucks. well its good to know BausAuto has some good stuff. actually, the whole reason why my car is in the shop is because i had a little fender bender so i decided to do the upgrades i wanted and bought their nismo v2 front bumper in poly, i was also going to buy their amuse replica sides. but again i heard so much good stuff from Shine Auto i decided to go with them but its all good. i will just do what everyone on here have suggested. here is a pic of the front bumper getting prepped to be installed.
Attached Thumbnails bad fitment on amuse shine skirts? im surprised..-photo.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are a great company. I seriously think its this one drivers side mold on the Amuse skirts that are bad. All the other parts i got where spot on. Unfortunately, this isnt minor fitment issues, my body guy said he has to cut the side and extend it. I kinda had the same reaction. I was suprised cause they have such a great rep for great fitment which is why i ordered from there. I would still recommend them any day, just not this part.

He has great customer service and aside from this one side, i believe some of the best products out there.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM
steve774

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
I ordered Shine CF Nismo rears and the fitment was way off. The good thing is they said keep em and gave me a refund no questions asked. Ken said it must have had a bad mold.
In addition to my Shine Amuse sides, I also had the Shine Nismo rears in non CF. The fitment was prefect and I didn't need to do any alterations. I guess yours was just a bad batch. See my attached pic.

Although my Amuse sides were not 100%, I would still recommend them for their other parts. I had extreme dimensions Nismo sides before and the fitment needed lots of work and the fiberglass was paper thin. There is a huge difference between ED fiberglass and Shine's material. Shine's material felt significantly stronger. Not as good as urethane but a good in between.
Attached Thumbnails bad fitment on amuse shine skirts? im surprised..-img_1084.jpg  

Last edited by steve774; 04-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Search older Shine threads there was info on this. You have to place a minimum of two screws marked.

Originally Posted by Ibex
Lesson learned? Dont buy fake parts.
Here's something you don't know since your new and not aware of Amuse parts. Real deal Amuse sides were 3-5mm shorter than the stock sides, didn't fit perfect, body lines didn't line up correctly. This was back in 06-07. Shine had taken the original and extended them slightly to make them fit better. The body shop probably sanded away the barely noticeable screw points molded into the skirt to show that a screw needs to be in place. I've had three different kits from Shine and am very familiar with their parts.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 04-19-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same issue with my Shine V2 sides. I drilled another hole in the red-marked spot and added another plastic clip. Held it perfect and fitment was right on then.

I think I might have also done one up towards the front, been too long to remember clearly and I don't have pictures. Doesn't hurt to have extra stuff securing the skirt on, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails bad fitment on amuse shine skirts? im surprised..-p0200-3718-initial-04-18-2012_19-32-06.jpg  

Last edited by Spork; 04-19-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve774
In addition to my Shine Amuse sides, I also had the Shine Nismo rears in non CF. The fitment was prefect and I didn't need to do any alterations. I guess yours was just a bad batch. See my attached pic.

Although my Amuse sides were not 100%, I would still recommend them for their other parts. I had extreme dimensions Nismo sides before and the fitment needed lots of work and the fiberglass was paper thin. There is a huge difference between ED fiberglass and Shine's material. Shine's material felt significantly stronger. Not as good as urethane but a good in between.
Shine took care of it immediately without hesitation which is nice when dealing with aftermarket companies. Was tossing out options in case he was gonna go with something else.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm definitely shocked to hear this. at least they do their best to remedy the situation.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM
kraZybones88

Well at least I don't feel as bad anymore seeing that there are other members with the same issue. I really liked the quality of the sides but like some one above said its probably just a bad mold. Its also nice to know that Shine Auto took care of you guys. I don't think there's a need for me to go back to them and try to get a refund, the more I look at the pictures the more I'm becoming ok with it. I'll just have to suck it. My shop called today and said I can pick up my Z tomorrow so we will see what the final product looks like. I'm excited!

Anyway thanks for your suggestions and comments guys!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM
ShineAutoProject
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Hey Krazybones88,
I rarely frequent the forums, however, one of our vendors did point to this thread and I would like to address the issue immediately.
Krazybone, you are in Fontana correct? That’s pretty close by. If you have time, stop by our facility in Rancho Cucamonga. I would like to take a look at it. Call us anytime at 909 980 3433. For whatever reason, I cannot see any of the pictures you posted, so I have no idea what issue you are having. Can you email the pics to shineautoproject@gmail.com ?

The problem could be an installation issue or perhaps the mold has gone bad creating a bad part. We won’t know unless customers report an issue to us as we do not test fit every part that goes out. This is the main reason why we only carry at most 2 of any item in stock just in case there is an issue with the mold, although it has been very rare.
If there is an issue, we will have to discontinue the part for the time being. There is a high end body shop right next door that can help us do the modifications necessary to improve the fitment of the product. Once that is done, we can make a new mold and start production of the part again. This one of the main reasons why we choose to produce parts in the U.S as opposed to producing overseas, as we can make corrections quickly if there is a valid issue.

In regards to installation of aftermarket sides for the 350z, enthusiasts should keep in mind that aftermarket side skirts cannot install the same way as OEM sides. OEM side skirts are held on by roughly 8-9 clips (per side), which are broken off once removed. 8-9 clips are quite a bit of clips to keep a side skirt on nice and flush with the rest of the car. Even if you were to put the same OEM side skirt back on the car, you will need 3m double-sided tape in certain areas and you might even have to screw a bolt in key areas (door jam) to get the sides to sit nice and flush with the rest of the car. My point is, there will be extra steps in installing aftermarket sides for the 350z.

Please come on by. I will keep forum members updated. I don't believe there are any reports of v2 sideskirt issues, but I will test fit those as well. And always test fit parts before painting.

Ken
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM
ShineAutoProject
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

All you have to do is measure the length of your oem sides and measure the length of our sides and you will see the specs are the same. It is installation for the most part. However, we'll take a look at it again and if we can produce these sides where they can install easier, we'll do it. The mold and approach we used has been a good 5 years.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shine Auto helping as usual.

I just wish they made R32 GTR parts.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:33 PM
ShineAutoProject
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

You will also need 3m-double sided tape attached to this area of the side skirts that sit against this part of the car as you will no longer be able to use the clips that were broken off. That's a total of 4 clips gone per side. The 3m double-sided tape will help hold up the sides as well as keep it flush along the front and rear fenders.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM
MegaTroll350z
Banned

Wow!! Ken making a surprise guest appearance on here!

I have to call you again soon Ken.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its easy fix but i guess the bodyshop u went they didn't even care the fitment. looks like they painted them and install.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

is it replica or authentic...maybe I missed that answer

Quick Reply: bad fitment on amuse shine skirts? im surprised..