Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VeilSide Polyurethane Replica Side Skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
potato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VeilSide Polyurethane Replica Side Skirts?

was browsing ebay trying to find some used oem nismo side skirts when i came across these. anyone ran these? hows the fitment? they appear to just be replica veilside underwings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-08-Nis...orcev4exp=true
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I personally had bad luck with some fiberglass VeilSide rep side wings a few years back. Weren't even close to fitting. It will all depend on the quality and accuracy of the molds used by the particular factory.

It's $105....that's two tanks of gas. I'd say go for it and report back.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

pretty sure you could always modify them to fit better....they arent that big of peices
Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
potato

Originally Posted by sry110
I personally had bad luck with some fiberglass VeilSide rep side wings a few years back. Weren't even close to fitting. It will all depend on the quality and accuracy of the molds used by the particular factory.

It's $105....that's two tanks of gas. I'd say go for it and report back.
its polyurethane so the fitment should be better than fiberglass (typically). i may, i just want to see if anyone has run them or has experience with them

Originally Posted by Junkster
pretty sure you could always modify them to fit better....they arent that big of peices
polyurethane cant really be modified to much like fiberglass can. i just dont know how well they will fit on the oem sideskirt and just assume they just screw in to the bottom of the side skirt
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM
sry110

Where the PU material may help you is if the angle between the mounting flange and the body of the part isn't quite right, you can just make it flex to the necessary shape. And of course use a couple small pieces of 3M tape between the inside of the wing and the outside of your side skirt to keep it secure.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really not much to screw up on these.Pretty much larger mud OEM mud guards.
Would prolly attach with self tapping scews at the wheel well edges.Use the same bolt screws as the stock skirts.Just drill some holes in the parts to line up with the stock bolt locations.This cheap stuff.This company also sells those awful 99 buck front lips.IMO,
would not put any of this stuff on my car.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Polyurethane is a pretty awesome material in terms of flexibility, so even if the fitment wasn't perfect you could manipulate it to work, and just get some really sticky adhesive tape or screws to hold it in place.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a tip from the pro's

Replica + Modification to fit = Price X = Real + re-sale value
Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

i've had these saved in my ebay "watch list" for a good while.. i might order them as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by MUZZY
Just a tip from the pro's

Replica + Modification to fit = Price X = Real + re-sale value
In general I would agree, but considering this particular piece is made of a flexible material, I'll bet it can be made to fit - as long as the mounting flange is "parallel" to the body of the piece along its length.

Assuming the above is true, I think the only other problem would be whether the angle between the mounting flange and the part is correct. Here I am referring to looking at the end (cross section) of the part. But I think that would be an easy fix: a) the angle is too small, meaning that the piece presses tighter against your sideskirt when mounted, or b) the angle is too large, meaning you need to rely on 3M tape to hold the piece up against the side skirt. In case b), successful installation will depend on the stiffness (effectively the spring rate) of the material versus the holding strength of the 3M tape.

Does the seller have a return policy? I would hope you are allowed the opportunity to test fit, and then return undrilled and unpainted if they don't work out.

EDIT: Just looked at listing. 14 day return policy, you pay shipping. Relatively low-risk.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Bumping this up in case anyone is interested in buying. I bought a set a while back, they fit decent but where the side wings mount, the urethane becomes very thin. It flops around after you install it, it sags outward and doesn't stay up against the body like the real deal VS. It's also half as thick so it doesn't protrude as much. For the price they are pretty cheap and if you can modify it to stay flush against the body then it's worth it.